Vintage Garments

beatle

IMGP1511.jpg?t=1312644572

I found the mate to this. Some union made Lee Riders. They were a funky blueberry with lots of color left. They were obviously regularly ironed with a nice crisp crease down the front and back (I see this alot with Wranglers too, it must be a cowboy thing).

I think pleats are something most folks born before 1955 require to function. My dad used to get really pissed when I didn't iron a crease into my dress pants, or fold my jeans with the inseam and outseam touching to create a crease. But yes, cowboys dig the crease too... I bought a pair of 517's and had them hemmed, the tailor asked if I wanted him to starch in a 'rodeo crease'.

Are Big Mac Flannels vintage enough for this thread?

Fit pics please, CTB.

My pleasure...love the trousers, by the way. Tried on the suit I posted and decided that it's too roomy on me, more like a country gentleman's zoot suit than anything else.

Aquascutum wax jacket (probably made by Barbour) as was:

scaled.php?server=851&filename=dscf3024c.jpg&res=medium

Now re-waxed...always adds a completely new lease of life to these jackets. Those in the know, know it should be done every autumn in time for winter, and not left to go all 'vintage' as it loses some or most of its water resistance. Definitely more of a winter look:

scaled.php?server=607&filename=dscf3131y.jpg&res=medium

The boots, for those of you who don't follow the 'shoes...' thread, are made by the now defunct English boot- and shoemakers Lotus. They held the original patent for the 'guaranteed waterproof' veldtschoen construction, and their boots and shoes were very popular amongst the officers of the British Army in the latter days of the Empire.

The ones I'm wearing (shown below right, along with a similar model by Tricker's) are a good few decades old:

scaled.php?server=823&filename=dscf3136z.jpg&res=medium

Just a hairdryer, mate.

I put the tin of dressing in a pan of boiling water and keep it simmering to keep the wax nice and runny. A sponge or cloth is good enough to apply the wax, really grinding it into the cotton and especially the seams.

Once done, use a hairdryer on the seams to melt any residue, using your fingers to work it in. Then blow the hairdryer all over the jacket to give it a decent finish, and Bob's ya uncle!

Looking good, CTB!

I was considering getting a waxed jacket for work this winter- maybe you can advise me: exactly how water resistant is a waxed cotton jacket? For instance, if you're out in a light rain all day long, will the jacket eventually absorb water? And if so, does it take longer than an unwaxed cotton jacket would to dry out?

Cheers!

The jacket is meant to last the whole winter off the back of a single waxing, although I guess that would be dependent on the kind of weather that it's exposed to. Given the wetness of the weather in the UK, I think it would cope with most other climates without needing a rewax until after a good few months.

Even in the original state of the jacket I posted, where the jacket had that characteristic 'faded' look meaning that it needed a fresh coat of wax, it would have been pretty water-resistant and I wouldn't expect it to take long to dry if it did absorb water.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks guys for your opinions

can you move your shoulders in it?

yes I can if I only wear a t-shirt under. No way I can wear a sweater though. It definitely is a size too small but I think I'll keep it anyway

I recently got this vintage Levis big E trucker jacket from the 70s.

A bit snug on me, not sure if to keep it or sell it, any opinion is appreciated!

[

Hey, that jacket looks familier! Glad it arrived in one piece! That was the first Big E jacket I ever found, getting all emotional seeing it on someone else now. I'd buy it back off you when you find another!! haha :)

• 4 weeks later...

Cross posted from the LVC thread

Not strictly related to vintage clothing as such, but can anyone help me out on info for this.

A friend picked it up at a car boot sale a few years back. We're assuming it's a shop display and from the early 70's. Anyone able to offer any insight?

ildd0m.jpg

• 1 month later...

8c2d4158.jpg

e6ab9532.jpg

My friend picked this up at a flea market. I've been trying to find info, to no avail. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

(Robbie, Paul, Crashtestbrummie, Roy6, I'm looking at you)

Lovely label. I know nothing about the brand but would hazard a guess at an early-mid 60's large market brand. It's lovely but hasn't got the look of quality or detailing you'd expect from the higher end stuff. Just a hunch.