The Sage Advice Thread

broneck

this exchange has always been pretty dope

Vincent Hanna: My life's a disaster zone. I got a stepdaughter so fucked up because her real father's this large-type asshole. I got a wife, we're passing each other on the down-slope of a marriage - my third - because I spend all my time chasing guys like you around the block. That's my life.

Neil McCauley: A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." Now, if you're on me and you gotta move when I move, how do you expect to keep a... a marriage?

Vincent Hanna: So then, if you spot me coming around that corner... you just gonna walk out on this woman? Not say good bye?

Neil McCauley: That's the discipline.

Vincent Hanna: That's pretty vacant, you know.

1. never put off till tomorrow what you can do to-day

2. never trouble another for what you can do yourself

3. never spend your money before you have it

4. never buy what you do not want because it is cheap

5. pride costs us more than hunger, thirst and cold

6. we never repent of having eaten too little

7. nothing is troublesome that we do willingly

8. how much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened?

9. take things always by their smooth handle

10. when angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, an hundred.

• 2 weeks later...

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know. Close your mouth, block off your senses, blunt your sharpness, untie your knots, soften your glare, settle your dust. This is the primal identity. Be like the Tao. It can't be approached or withdrawn from, benefited or harmed, honored or brought into disgrace. It gives itself up continually. that is why it endures."

- Chapter 56, Tao Te Ching

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Posted · Hidden by evisu 2000, March 1, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by evisu 2000, March 1, 2012 - No reason given

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for life.

'Tis a wise Indian that allows himself to follow a smart chief.

give a man a fish he will eat for a day, give a man a cow he will eat for a month maybe more

-hilary banks

There are many varieties of sage, and most have been used in smudging. The botanical name for "true" sage is Salvia (e.g. Salvia officinalis, Garden Sage, or Salvia apiana, White Sage). It is interesting to note that Salvia comes from the Latin root salvare, which means "to heal." There are also varieties of sage which are of a species separate from Salvin Artemusia. Included here are sagebrush (e.g. Artemisia californica) and mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris). We have seen both Salvia and Artemisia sub-species used in smudging.

Sage is burned in smudging ceremonies to drive out bad spirits, feelings, or influences, and also to keep bad spirits from entering the area where a ceremony takes place. In Plains nations, the floor of the sweat lodge is frequently covered with sage, and participants rub the leaves on their bodies while in the sweat. Sage is also commonly spread on the ground in a lodge or on an altar where the pipe touches the earth. Some nations wrap their pipes in sage when they are placed in pipe-bundles, as sage purifies objects wrapped in it. Sage wreaths are also placed around the head and wrists of Sundancers.