3x1 Denim Boutique

FACE

if thread is already made then delete/move thank you.

So I follow Marcus Troy and claimed that THIS is the best denim store in NYC, anyone have any experience with them?

Last week when I was in New York City I visited a new denim shop that was probably the best denim store I’ve seen in my life. I want you to think Bespoke Denim all made in house by qualified seamstresses.

This shop is a must see in New York city.

The denim rages from 300 to 1500 (For a custom fit & pair)

Denim designer/entrepreneur Scott Morrison announces the launch of his new denim brand line, 3×1. The name is derived from denim’s standard weaving construction, the 3×1 RHT (Right Hand Twill). The ‘3 by 1’ in (3×1) also represents Morrison’s third concept/founding of a jeans brand. His first company, Paper Denim & Cloth, launched in 1999 and proved to be at the forefront of the premium denim market, while his second denim brand, Earnest Sewn, launched in 2004, and was one of the first to focus exclusively on American heritage products and one of the pioneers of incorporating 3rd party brands and strategic collaborations into his retail concept.

Following the success of his first two brands, Morrison sought to create something that could not be replicated, and in the process, capture the uniqueness of New York City, the place he calls home. 3×1 (Made Here) is inspired not only by the city, but also by the people, the heightened pace, the international culture and its manufacturing and apparel legacy, each completely unique to NYC. 3×1’s offering of men’s and women’s denim products are each in of themselves limited-edition styles, as the in-house production is limited to between 8-24 pieces of any given style, and less than 25 pieces are made per day. A bespoke denim service is also offered, allowing patrons to work individually with Morrison and his pattern-maker to create his or her own pair of jeans from start to finish. The fabric selection offered to customers consists of more than 60 unique selvedge denims from around the world (primarily for men), and as many as 50 varieties of denims and twills specific to women.

Based in Manhattan’s SOHO District, the ‘3×1 Made Here’ brand experience is part retail store and part gallery space, with a complete jean manufacturing facility at its center. Shoppers can watch jeans being constructed from start to finish behind three glass-walled rooms within the retail store. Sewers, cutters, patternmakers, and designers are all completely immersed in their process, and customers are offered a one of a kind perspective and experience into how jeans are designed, developed and produced. Never before has there been a store concept that marries the production process with the retail environment, and by design, Morrison has achieved a level of transparency that is the first of it’s kind, anywhere in the world.

“People love to learn how things are made, at least I always have, and there’s something magical about seeing the process itself. Perhaps it’s a sign of the times, but the thought that seems most relevant to me today is one of transparency, value, and uniqueness.†To facilitate his unique vision, 3×1 incorporates each of the processes of design, patternmaking and sewing quite literally into their modern gallery/retail/work space and the result is like nothing you’ve ever seen. “It’s a bit like looking into, and working in, Santa’s workshop†says Morrison.

‘3×1 Made Here’ is located at 15 Mercer Street, on the same block as other fashion notables such as Alexander Wang and around the corner from Opening Ceremony. The 4,000 square foot retail space is open to the public on Wednesday – Sunday (11am – 7pm), while bespoke appointments are typically reserved for Monday and Tuesday. In addition to 3×1’s line of men’s and women’s denim, bespoke jeans, and fashion accessories, the store will also offer a few select brands, products, and unique items that share the brand’s ideology pertaining to quality, attention to detail, and exclusivity.

3x1-New-York-City-5.jpg

3x1-New-York-City-3.jpeg

3x1-New-York-City-4.jpg

3x1-New-York-City-2.jpeg

http://marcustroy.com/retail/retail-3x1-denim-boutique-new-york-city-best-denim-store/

weak. This thread will end up in the nether-regions of sufu.

"less than 25 pieces are made per day!" - um, that is probably much much more than the most prolific of 'premium' japanese brands.

honestly, I think their only hope is celebrities. People who genuinely consider their denim will quickly identify the shortcomings of '3x1.' Ironically, the people w/the capacity to realize their shortcomings are also their target audience, Obviously a self defeating design. When I say celebrities may be interested, i mean like 2. None of them have time to fuck with this shit, and non-celebrities who pay $300+ for jeans don't want to buy them from the old 'paper denim and cloth guy,' even if he has 60+ fabrics to choose from. Theyll go to BiG or SENY.

i went and checked it out today. salespeople are earnest and eager but not as knowledgeable or obsessive as the average sufu user, and I don't think they are producing anything that would impress people here. for the entry asking price (seems like USD~375) you might as well walk a couple blocks to BiG or 45rpm and get something really nice.

weak. This thread will end up in the nether-regions of sufu.

"less than 25 pieces are made per day!" - um, that is probably much much more than the most prolific of 'premium' japanese brands.

honestly, I think their only hope is celebrities. People who genuinely consider their denim will quickly identify the shortcomings of '3x1.' Ironically, the people w/the capacity to realize their shortcomings are also their target audience, Obviously a self defeating design. When I say celebrities may be interested, i mean like 2. None of them have time to fuck with this shit, and non-celebrities who pay $300+ for jeans don't want to buy them from the old 'paper denim and cloth guy,' even if he has 60+ fabrics to choose from. Theyll go to BiG or SENY.

I honestly don't even know a celebrity who would buy from BiG or SENY. I know celebs wear Nudies, but never seen one wearing a better brand (Actually, I think I saw a picture of Jay Z in samurais once).

But, the place looks cool, but will probably be short lived. I kinda want to check it out though. But if it is going to be $375 for a starting piece I am most certainly take my money over to SENY.

People who genuinely consider their denim will quickly identify the shortcomings of '3x1.' Ironically, the people w/the capacity to realize their shortcomings are also their target audience, Obviously a self defeating design.

would you please elaborate on this thought?

• 7 months later...

I really dig this as a concept. I'd be really interested in how it works in practice. IMO it's all about the marketing. If you can get your message about bespoke denim in front of the right audience, then you're away.

If you love your denim, this is like a dream come true.

Roland - Any update on how you're doing?

So I stopped by this shop maybe 2months ago, it was empty except for one customer getting something made bespoke. Idea is definitely unique if not great. Is it a viable business, that is the big issue. I cannot deny that they provide awesome choices, probably quality construction (I'm simply going to assume that), and a unique experience. However for the denim-obsessed bunch we have here, including me, the final product does not stand head and shoulders above others. And so I cannot see how the above "average" NYC denim consumer, no matter how sophisticated he/she may be, will be willing to put down $400 for a pair from 3x1 over other places. Hardcore NYC sufuers have difficulty choosing from all the choices to be had in BIG, seny, 45rpm, as well as online sources. Looking at the retail space this store/factory takes up, the overhead must be huge and I don't know if there is business out there for them to remain there. Perhaps the smarter thing would have been to have had a smaller showroom and a factory elsewhere. I legitimately cannot see who their target consumers are. Denim heads will most likely drop $800 on 45rpms before they would even consider doing that here. While the avg shoppers never want to pay that much to begin with. And affluent older consumers would probably buy designer jeans because that's all they know. If anyone here works at 3x1 I'd like to hear how the business has been and who r ur typical clientele?

@paulduke

I think there's a demographic you're forgetting about, which is the rich and uniformed. I know that sounds condescending, but I don't mean it in a harsh way. But there are certainly people who have been made aware of selvage denim (through reading gq or watching how to make in america) and they want to try it out, but they don't have the denim nerd knowledge to distinguish the differences or the desire to spend the time researching. I've met some investment banker dudes who fit this description perfectly. They have the money to spend and the desire to be "on trend", but they're not surfing sufu and geeking out on details. 3x1's space is certainly sleek, so I'd imagine it can pull people in off the streets of SoHo.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s going well. We’re a small team and it’s a lot of hard work. The effort it takes to produce 16 jeans is about the same as making 100,000. I understand the SF cynicism, but we’re definitely a different experience than Big & SENY. I know the store’s intimidating, but you guys should come in and see how a jean is made. In terms of customers – most are successful creatives.

Makes sense to me. At a certain price point, bespoke happens. When high-end brand-name Italian suits soared over $1,000, on the way to $2,000 15 years ago or more, a lot of people had tailors get the identical fabrics and hand-fit and cut them for $800. Same fabric, better/perfect fit, and better made with better hardware, zippers, buttons, etc. You just don't get the label. But many people don't care about brand/label--just value of the product, and the value of those suits was way higher than Hickey Freeman, Oxxford, Canali, or Armani could do (most of whom use the same mills, fabrics, and same stitching houses anyway). Same will happen here. As prices reach $500 or above for Japanese stuff (yen vs. dollar, etc.), why not get a pair from the same denim, if you can, that fits you exactly how you want--if it truly is the same denim and fitted and constructed well.

Ill be in NYC in a few weeks time and this was my 1st appointment i made after i booked my 21 hour flight. To be honest, im just excited to see it ( pure fan boy speaking) it will be hard for me not to ask about the machines, hopefully it will not dent my visa card too much... i will be going for the experience...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...