Best Plain Cotton Tees?

long term sifr update: after roughly 12 washes i had to redye my black beanstalk tee because it was turning a sort of plum/purple black. still retaining shape well though.

Thanks for the heads up. I will sort this out as I have received some feedback of this sort that the black is not black enough.

Can I ask whether you are washing it in hot water and hanging it out to dry in the sun? Glad it's holding up well though.

Most of the washing was at 30 degrees c, with a couple of 40 degree washes thrown in after stains/parties. I wash my black stuff with a black specific detergent (no brighteners) and hang it out to dry in the back of a room, away from direct sunlight. Interestingly enoug the color faded equally all over, there weren't any wear marks or anything like that.

Love the tee overal though. It could maybe be another inch or so taller, but that's me.

And this was the beanstalk one?

Most of the washing was at 30 degrees c, with a couple of 40 degree washes thrown in after stains/parties. I wash my black stuff with a black specific detergent (no brighteners) and hang it out to dry in the back of a room, away from direct sunlight. Interestingly enoug the color faded equally all over, there weren't any wear marks or anything like that.

Love the tee overal though. It could maybe be another inch or so taller, but that's me.

yup, beanstalk, size small. i'm 183cm/6' and another inch or so would put it right in true tall tee territory for me.

edited to say: the sleeve length is perfect by the way.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

yup, beanstalk, size small. i'm 183cm/6' and another inch or so would put it right in true tall tee territory for me.

edited to say: the sleeve length is perfect by the way.

Good news that the sleeve length is okay. It's taken a while to get most of the elements right. We get a lot of feedback from people which has been nice in speeding up the refinement process.

New colors on the way soon. Stay tuned!

• 2 weeks later...

i only fux with the kirklands. i like the thickness and fit after a wash but overtime it shrinks too much.

anybody got a similar rec?

Probably because they are not pre-shrunk. That's always a problem. But yes, Costco does have some good shit

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a pair of "sidney" extra long tees by a Dutch brand called Girav (http://www.girav.nl/) , who specialize in extra long tees. They have a 70cm high fit called standard long, 80cm long fit and an 85+ extra long fit. I got the 80cm long fits, size small. The sidney is labeled as a normal or relaxed fit, but it's still close in the waist and definitely not baggy or billowy. The fabric has a nice midweight hand to it with a bit of mechanical stretch and all the stitching looks good. They're made in portugal, apparently.

Definitely recommended for those looking for tall tees at a very decent price point.

fit pic:

8656468321_92b9819cd1_z.jpg

I've been getting plain Muji tees from ebay and they're great for the price. They're shipped from asia though, so they're a bit on the small side (even at XL).

Does anyone know if Muji in america would have bigger sizing?

Yeah the Muji tees in Asia are a tad small, need to size up. I'm guessing most brands as big as that would accommodate for bigger sizing in different regions.

Lots of good suggestions here. I primarily wear James Perse. Super soft and highly breathable. 

+1 for Perse. The Japanese cotton tees are pretty thin and drape and fit *extremely* well. I have a bunch of them. They're the best t-shirts I've ever bought I think. I have others with heavier cotton and equally soft and nice, but Perse is my favorite for the combination of fit / fabric / drape. I have to say the guy truly knows his shit.

Not sure if this has much to do with the best plain cotton tees but this is an excellent article on how retailers/consumers are wanting to know more about their stuff after all the bangladesh backlash. Check it out here

For people that have a Belks near them. MADE by Cam Newton Lol. I really couldn't believe how nice the material and fit was. Arm length and total length is perfect. Super soft. They are cheap too. Best plain T I have found in a long time

• 2 months later...

I don't want to shell out Acne or Our Legacy prices for a garment I view as relatively disposable, so here are my findings regarding the cheap white tees that I’ve tried and can speak about accurately.

I am 6'1" 150lbs and have been wearing medium Hanes ComfortSoft tees for a long time simply out of necessity. They were selling a seven-pack somewhere for real cheap and they seemed like the smart thing to go for at the time. At this point, they've been washed a great number of times and look like shit, are too short, and too thin to do anything with but wear around the house and underneath dress shirts, which are the only reasons I'll be hanging on to the surviving few. Other shirts I have that are old and absolutely abysmal in quality include Jerzee's Heavyweight Blend, and Calvin Klein. Both have slowly started to disintegrate.

I have recently had some experience with some Hanes Beefy Tees too, which are indeed thick, but are too short in the medium. These are suitable for the colder months as a functioning layer, but not suitable for casual Summer wear. I have also tried the large size version of these, and while the length is pretty good, the sleeve width is too large for me. I have also tried a tall version of the large tees, and I'm content with them. The sleeve width being oversized looks intentional coupled with the long length. They also seem like they would be very functional for men taller than me. Overall these are okay tees, but not for this season. I will continue to wear these. They’re roughly seven dollars a piece on eBay.

The other day, based on this thread's suggestion, I finally broke down and picked up some Costco brand Kirkland white tees and I think that these are the only casual tees that I ever expect to buy from now on. I purchased a large, based on Amazon reviews saying that they'd shrink a lot after the first wash, and I'm glad that I did. I ran them all through a wash and now they're essentially the perfect weight and length for me-- not too long but long enough to accommodate my abdomen, and not so thick that they're unbearably hot. You can get a six-pack for 20$ at Costco.

American Apparel tees are an honorable mention, but they’re just too thin for me, and sometimes the neck is so tight it looks weird.

• 1 month later...

This will probably sound dumb, but Old Navy's cotton tees are really comfortable, very soft, and have a pretty good fit. They don't come preshrunk, so they're pretty big and thin at first, but after a good wash they're great. So if you're "ballin' on a budget", I recommend trying them out.

• 2 weeks later...

Value for money, id go for the muji 3 pack, which is around $9ish when i bought them a while ago, thats about $3ish for a tee. Bought all 4 colors, though i do end up wearing white and light grey most of the time.

Sleeves are kinda short compared to most tees though, and i do notice some of mine are starting to have mini holes on em, prolly due to the washing as i hardly do any extreme shit.

I am 6'1" 150lbs and have been wearing medium Hanes ComfortSoft tees for a long time simply out of necessity. They were selling a seven-pack somewhere for real cheap and they seemed like the smart thing to go for at the time. At this point, they've been washed a great number of times and look like shit, are too short, and too thin to do anything with but wear around the house and underneath dress shirts, which are the only reasons I'll be hanging on to the surviving few.

yeah hanes are really strange in this way. they are great for about two washes but then go to complete unwearable shit - even in comparison to other cheap tees i've never had a garment decline so much in such a short amount of time.