Here's mine off the top:

Diamond D - Stunts Blunts and Hip Hop

KMD - Mr Hood

Lord Finesse - Funky Technician

Freddie Foxx - Industry Shakedown

Little Brother - The Listening

Main Source - Breaking Atoms

Geto Boys - Grip it on that Other Level

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UMCs - Fruits of Nature

Da King & I - Contemorary Jeep Music

Kurious - Constipated Monkey

Kwest the Madd Lad - This is my first album

Devin the Dude - Just Tryin' ta Live

Odd Squad - Fadanuf Fa Erybody

Organized Konfusion - Stress

Scaramanga - Seven Eyes Seven Horns

there's really too many to list

Edited by My Pal the Crook on Jan 31, 2005 at 09:44 AM

Jeru - "The Sun Rises in the East"

Artifacts - "Artifacts"

Showbiz & AG - "Runaway Slave"

LOTUG - "Here Come the Lords"

Mad Kap - "Look Ma Duke, No Hands"

Beatnuts - "Intoxicated Demons" EP

Edited by sr20det on Feb 2, 2005 at 01:37 PM

Kwest the Madd Ladd, now that's a name from the past...UMCs were tight as hell on some blue cheese shit....

remember the Boogiemonsters?? Honeydips in Gotham was the jam

Other names from the past we may have forgot: Trendz of Culture, Fu Schnickens, Poor Righteous Teachers, Gravediggaz (that constant elevation track still shines when I play it at parties)

Kwest the Madd Ladd, now that's taking it back....

Still haven't heard that Binary Star album...heard lots of great things....

how about these names from the past?? Fu Schickens, Poor Righeous Teachers, Boogiemonsters, YZ, Trendz of Culture

“Isn’t it strange how it’s a fad to bite your idols when the whole reason you liked them is because their shit wasn’t recycled?†- Aesop Rock

kwest....what happened to that guy?

besides what has been mentioned:

del (no need for alarm)

de la soul (de la soul is dead)

leaders of the new school (a future without a past)

y'all so stupid (van full of pakistans)

everything from 89-92 that was on jive, elektra, or tommy boy is underrated.

oh and prince paul produced albums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah definitely

Artifacts , Artifacts

and Jeru, Sun also rises in the east, (I just bought it on cassette at the thrift store)<u> </u><u> </u>

both super slept on gems

also

Aceyalone, Book of Human Language,

Micranots, Obelisk Movements (ultra hot political rap, with pop rocks brain candy style bass)

Benny Rags

Sorry fellas, y'all come with some good albums, but there are a damn lot of people who love all of these albums. Yes, i'm even talking about Y'all So Stupid (Van Full of Pakistanis).

The single most slept on hip hop album of all time thus far is by The Goats. Their first album, "Tricks of the Shade" (Ruffhouse, 93 or 94) was fucking terrific. Keep in mind this was way before Philly had any dope emcees (besides Schooly et al), and before just anyone could become an emcee or drop a twelve inch. The rhymes are quite politically charged, but all done with pro flair and tight production, this album (which by the way is near impossible to find) blew my mind back in high school. The 3 emcees (Oatie, MADD, Swayzack) kill it each in their own way.

This album is especially relevant now, because it's chock full of 'fuck bush' shit that seems so played now, but this was during Bush SENIOR's presidency. All in the family!

If you locate a copy on CD, you're lucky. Don't think the full length was ever on vinyl, but the singles "Typical Amerikkkan" and "Do the Digs Dug?" are on vinyl. Check ebay. These boys is classic.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

ABE - good looking at out on that Goats LP...that album was slept on when it came out and obviously still is....gotta go dig that one out of my box of cassette tapes...you have any idea if the members disbanded and worked/working on any other projects?

Bloden - I believe the Show/AG album Runaway Slave is out of print but I occasionally see Lord Finesse - Funky Technitian cds...hit cduniverse.com as they normally stock some hard to find pieces....if you're just looking for the songs I have some tracks on mp3...if you're interested I'll send them over..

//dave

stuff like Funky Technitian got re-released a few years ago when Jcor bought up the rights to a lot of old Wild Style albums. Unfortunatly Jcor has since gone under... so who know when some of those other wild style albums will ever see the light of day on CD or vinyl.

A lot of this shit is long out of print, some of it you can track down a CD copy pretty cheaply on half.com... while some could command as much as $50-$80 for a copy.

thanks for the info, i was afraid this was the case:

yeah dave, if you have the time to send over somethings that would be dope. Having the original copy isn't that important, just need something to listen to

oohhh and....

Mic Geronimo's The Natural is a much slept on piece as well

Smooth da Hustlers...Once upon a time was decent

and i'm not sure how underground it is, but Fat Joe's Jealous Ones Envy is decent as well

Cormega-the Realness

Intelligent Hoodlum had a hot record.... The Coup - Genecide & Juice was real nice.... Xibit before he sold out (you know those "papparazzi" & "foundation" joints were bananas).... Royce Da 5'9" should be much bigger... Mark Ronson.... Definitely Main Source - Breaking Atoms.... Anything Aceyalone or Ras Kas (well, maybe not anything).... I thought Shells was gonna blow up? His "Why I love you" shoulda been major!

-Dub

the only reason the Goats ever even got together is b/c the people from RuffHouse had been given carte blanche to pursue any project they wanted---basically because of the recent success of Cypress Hill, House of Pain, etc. so they went to Philly and released the Goats. They got access to great producers (albeit relatively unknown ones) and although very politically controversial, were right on point and the critics ate them up. However, they were overshadowed by the other kind of hiphop out at the time, i.e. WestCoast's Gangsta shit, Dre's Chronic etc. etc. This was around the time of early wu and brand nubian stuff too...crews like the Goats weren't really in that camp as much. they were branded as too progressive, i guess.

the members of the Goats disbanded some time ago. The problem was that Swayzack and MADD were smoking way too much pot (so was Oatie, but the other two fell asleep on stage once) and things basically fell apart. Swayzack is sorta missing, MADD lives on an island i think, and Oatie is both a teacher of high school biology or something, and was also involved with the Jimmy Luxury project, the full name i think "Jimmy Luxury and the Tony Roma Orchestra" but i could be wrong. jimmy luxury is on some swing meets rap shit, it's pretty garbage in my opinion, but they also had a song in a movie (Ocean's Eleven) so maybe hollywood saw/heard something i hadn't.

anyway yeah so there is a website, and i email with Oatie from time to time. try jimmyluxury.com

basically the second album "No Goats, No Glory" took a more hardcore approach, (hardcore in the Dog Eat Dog and "NYHC" sense, not in the "M.O.P." sense) and the result was decent. also a hard one to find, the standout tracks covered everything from wakin n bakin to killing nazis. On Both Tricks and Glory, the beats stood out on their own. classic early 90's production. back in freshman yr. of high school, these beats were some of the dopest uptempo shit bumpin in the skate crews of the 5 boros. And, in the tradition of bands like Shootyz Groove, the Goats did a great live show at smoky, tiny spots in nyc. (Wetlands, Knitting Factory etc.)

Truly a legendary rap outfit, the Goats (R.I.P.) were, and still are the most slept on ever in the wide world of hiphop.

"Ya betta believe that I be dreamin of a Black Christmas/

And at the top of my list

Is a fat spliff

and you know it's a hoota

of the Buddah blessed

True to the blue cuz i gots Sigma on my chest

And i won't rest because our cause speeds on its way

its on our way we on our way the S-I-G-M-A

so whaddya say, whaddya know where would ya like to go

to the step show with a pro or with a falsetto..."

("Cumin in Ya Ear")

also the Goats happened to be the illest of the ill when it came to skits. Yes, even better than De La's early stuff. Tricks of the Shade has some of the best skits ever. Featuring a well-planned cast of characters like Hangerhead & ChickenLittle, Rovie Wade, Leonard Peltier (in a cage), 10 Little Indians, StaceyKoon, Noriega, all playing against each other in Uncle Scam's Federally Funded Freak Show. you can listen all the way through and dig the story going on b/w dope tracks. and in the end, George Bush get's gatted. Quality anti-gov't is hard to come by: this is that genre at it's finest. (Dead Prez is sorta bullshit compared to these guys)

one more quote:

"so here's a noose, i made it white to match ya wack ass hood

and watch ya back cuz Swayzack reacts damn good

i think ya betta get respect and correctly sort it out

because we don't wanna hafta let Willie Horton out

my man Rodney King would love a swing---

if Yusef Hawkins was walkin, he'd say the same thing..."

BOOM! you have to listen for yourself. With songs like "GotKindaHi", "Burn the Flag", "Typical Amerikkkan", "WrongPot2PissIn", "Do the Dugs Dig", and "Hiphopola" these guys definitely should have blown bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Yall So Stupid - Van Full Of Pakistans

I brought this 12" to a friend's party I was spinning at last night and damn, what a great track....headz were like who's that Dave, etc...I forgot all about this one as it was in storage...I followed it by mixing in that new Celine Dion track featuring Freddie Foxx....that shit is the bomb if you haven't heard it

btw, ABEL, I even played The Goats - Do the Dug Digs

Edited by Dave Russ on Mar 31, 2005 at 08:50 PM