Most underrated Hip Hop albums...let's hear em

Dave Russ

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

anything by Looptroop, it's by far the most underrated group ever in my opinion, cannot count how many peoples i got really stoked by making them listen to the records

otherwise

souls of mischief - 93 t'ill infinity

all the old boot camp records (OCG - the storm, Smif'n Wessun - dah shinnin, Heltah Skeltah - nocturnal, black moon enta tha stage)

group home - livin' proof

pretty much all records by living legends

--- Original message by Kasper on Jan 25, 2006 05:05 AM

how is '93 til infinity underrated?

everyone know's that record's the shit. hard to believe it's 13 years old...

Dudley Perkins-----A Lil Light

this record is so hated, but Madlib's production is sick----I even like the vox. apparently Madlib had little involvement other than making the tracks, handing it over and the crew just karaoke'd over it. i read an apology from madlib for the existence of this record but after a few puffs, nothing is better

• 1 month later...

Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-tek.Reflection Eternal

Kweli's best shit he ever has and ever will put out, and i'm not eve gonna start on Hi-Tek's production...Rah Digga, Kweli, Xzibit on the same track...amazing

"1,2,3,4, rock the whole worl dlike the rolling stone tour, AHHH AHHHH!"

• 4 weeks later...
Quote:

Talib Kweli & DJ Hi-tek.Reflection Eternal

Kweli's best shit he ever has and ever will put out, and i'm not eve gonna start on Hi-Tek's production...Rah Digga, Kweli, Xzibit on the same track...amazing

"1,2,3,4, rock the whole worl dlike the rolling stone tour, AHHH AHHHH!"

--- Original message by obscura on May 3, 2006 12:18 AM

agreed, probably in my book probably the best hiphop album ever. though the track you mentioned is IMO far from the best on the album..

I think AZ overall is one of the most underrated artists, for example 9 Lives was totally slept on and I think its a surprisingly good album. I never heard anything about and bought it very randomly.

I also agree on Jay's vol. 1, very good album and rarely mentioned. not up to par with blueprint or reasonable but still very good.

Quote:

Big L- Lifestyles Ov Da Poor & Dangerous

--- Original message by JayKay on May 8, 2006 10:18 PM

couldnt agree more. kid would have ruled ny if he didnt get shot. he made jay-z look like a fucking amatuer on the graveyard.

shit...

• 4 months later...

Witchdoctor - A S.W.A.T. Healing Ritual (Props to The Owl for beating me to it)

AZ - Doe Or Die

Cunninlynguists - Will Rap For Food and Southern Underground

Buckshot/ 9th Wonder - Chemistry (Food For Thought is the best song in years)

MHz (Copywrite, RJD2, Camu Tao)- Table Scraps

Aesop Rock - Float (# 6 Ever behind The Infamous and MarshalMathers LP)

Necro - Gory Days (Dead Body Disposal.)

Juice - All Best Off and 100% Juice

Devin The Dude - Just Tryna Live (Top 10 Ever)

RJD2 - Deadringer (Ghostwriter)

Soul Position - 8Million Stories (3rd best ever behind Cold Vein & Doggystyle)

Canibus - Rip The Jacker

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (Sholda went triple platimum, #1album ever.)

Anything by Crooked I

Kool G Rap - Roots Of Evil

Anything by Royce 5 9

Brother Ali - Shadows On The Sun

Slug and Murs - Felt 2

Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Mystikal - Unpredictable

Dr. Octagon - Dr. Instrumentalist (Instrumental album: Moosebumps beat is redic!)

Mr. Lif - Mo Mega........all his other shit too. (Ultra Mega is a sick track)

Outkast - ATLians (Top 10 ever)

Cormega - The True Meaning

C Rayz Walz - Black Samuri EP

J Zone - Pimps Don't Pay Taxes (Check out the Bum Bitch Balled)

The Perceptionists - Black Dialog (Memorial Day is sick)

Anything by Vakill

Anything by Greenhouse Effect

Mad Skillz - From Where???

Arsonists - As the World Burns

Soulja Slim - Give it To Em Raw

Rass Kass - Soul On Ice

Extended Fam - Happy Fuck You Songs

Anything by Lord have Mercy

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

DJ Babu - Duck Season 2

Goodie Mob Soul Food

Jay Z/ 9th Wonder - Black is Back (Jay Zs best Album... Dec. 4th rmx, PSA rmx, What More Can I Say rmx)

I think a lot of people are getting underrated confused with 'not commercially popular'.

Little Brother - The Minstrel Show.

I'm Beginning to think Doe or Die is overrated.

-Dialated Peoples - Expansion Team (Propper Propaganda)

-Afu Ra - Body Of the Life Force (Defeat, Whirlwind Thru Cities, Equality, Warfare f MOP, Bigacts, Littleacts, Mic Stance)

-O.C. - Jewelz (My World f Premo, Far From Yours)

-Micranots - The Emperor and the Assasin (Glorious, Preparations)

-Nas - It was written (Critics didn't like it somehow) (Take It In Blood, The Message, I Gave you Power)

-The Firm - The Firm (" ") (Executive Decision is one of Dre's best beats)

-Nas _ God's Son (Dance, Revolutionary Warfare, Get Down, and Made You Look are enough to make it classic IMO)

-Jaylib - Champion Sound (The Red, Stars, The Heist)

-Atmosphere - God Loves Ugly (Modern Man's Hustle, One of a Kind, Saves the Day)

-Ludacris - Word of Mouf (Moove Bitch, Growing Pains)

-Ill Bill - Ill Bill Is The Future (The Anatomy of a School Shooting, American History X, Whats Wrong)

-Styles P - A Gangster and A Gentleman (Nobody Believes Me, Soul Clap)

-Canibus - Can-I-Bus (Has great tracks like Patriots, and shitty ones like Rip Rock))

-Alkaholicks - Liquidation (Hip Hop Drunkies)

-Beatnuts - Musical Massacre (Look Around, Watch out Now)

-2 Pac - R U Still Down (Gettin money)

-Blueprint - The Weightroom (No where near Soul position shit but still highly overlooked... Thats What You get When you Talk Shit is dope)

-Kool G Rap - Roots of Evil

...Outkast Aquimini is the most overrated album ever.

blueprint - 1988

diamond d - stunts blunts and hip hop

binary star - masters of the universe

aceyalone - all balls dont bounce

young jeezy - let's get it (thug motivation 101)

sage francis - a healthy distrust

atmosphere - overcast (god loves ugly is overrated and this is vastly overlooked)

pharcyde - bizarre ride 2 the pharcyde (i dont know if this counts, but no one i know at least really knows them outside of 'passing me by')

juggaknots - clear blue skies

black moon - enta da stage

black sheep - a wolf in sheeps clothing

nas - illmatic

It's really hard to have a discussion about what underrated means..Some things might have been overlooked at the time of their release but gone on to become classics. Others are simply really local..

I just got back from Minneapolis where Atmosphere's "Overcast" is like the bible...I would say that Andre Nickatina is "underrated" where I grew up, but in the bay..He's a cult leader from filmore to berkely college.

Cormega is in my opinion, one of the nicest to ever touch the mic. Why? because there are very few rappers who have both the street stats to back up their tales, as well as the humility and hindsight to admit their mistakes, and grow as artists. That is why I will buy anything he puts out...I know my money will be well spent...and end up in the pockets of someone I respect as a man. To many other's he's a well known underground king. To the public at large..he exists in Nasir jones' shadow...and will never escape...You feel me?

One person I think I can say with confidence is really underated in every circle though is Shabazz The Disciple, Red Hook BK's finest. He never got what he deserved from concious, commercial, or underground circles. Plus he was the only person i've heard diss the RZA straight up and down and really mean that shit...it was actually a pretty amazing track too. I remember calling up Harlem Radio around 99 and requesting his track "death be the penalty", Kwame on the show flipped his shit and got real excited...talking about how underrated dude is, and played all three joints of the single. Needless to say I was happy.

So yeah...I said all that to say this:

Shabazz The Disciple.

It's really hard to have a discussion about what underrated means..Some things might have been overlooked at the time of their release but gone on to become classics. Others are simply really local..

I just got back from Minneapolis where Atmosphere's "Overcast" is like the bible...I would say that Andre Nickatina is "underrated" where I grew up, but in the bay..He's a cult leader from filmore to berkely college.

Cormega is in my opinion, one of the nicest to ever touch the mic. Why? because there are very few rappers who have both the street stats to back up their tales, as well as the humility and hindsight to admit their mistakes, and grow as artists. That is why I will buy anything he puts out...I know my money will be well spent...and end up in the pockets of someone I respect as a man. To many other's he's a well known underground king. To the public at large..he exists in Nasir jones' shadow...and will never escape...You feel me?

One person I think I can say with confidence is really underated in every circle though is Shabazz The Disciple, Red Hook BK's finest. He never got what he deserved from concious, commercial, or underground circles. Plus he was the only person i've heard diss the RZA straight up and down and really mean that shit...it was actually a pretty amazing track too. I remember calling up Harlem Radio around 99 and requesting his track "death be the penalty", Kwame on the show flipped his shit and got real excited...talking about how underrated dude is, and played all three joints of the single. Needless to say I was happy.

So yeah...I said all that to say this:

Shabazz The Disciple.

I completely agree with your points about Mega. He is one of my favorites and I almost like him more than Nas. He is a perfect example of what underrated means. Even the biggest heads like him, but he isnt as appreciated as he should be. He's the Charles Bukowski of rap with his abillity to express amazing and touching ideas with every day language.

Guest Fade to Black

War Report is nice.

Cormega has released one classic and another really solid album...he comes across as quite sincere and brilliant in his lyricism. But one thing that is holding me back from putting him as one of the greats is his vocal performance...delivery wise, to be very honest he doesn't really captivate me in the way that many of my personal favorites do (Jay, Pac, Andre 3000, the Clipse, just to name a few).

War Report is nice.

Cormega has released one classic and another really solid album...he comes across as quite sincere and brilliant in his lyricism. But one thing that is holding me back from putting him as one of the greats is his vocal performance...delivery wise, to be very honest he doesn't really captivate me in the way that many of my personal favorites do (Jay, Pac, Andre 3000, the Clipse, just to name a few).

It's funny you say that cause the only time I ever feel mega's flow was inadequate was on that track he did with Pac. Not too many people can fuck with that man in terms of the sheer charisma he had though. I've come to really like megas voice/delivery. It's real unique and sets him apart from legions of rappers tryin to sound like one of your list of "personal favorites" . I'm glad to see mega get some love on here though...

Shabazz The Disciple.

Yea, I agree. First time I heard him was on Diary of a Madman : Gravediggaz. Still haven't checked him out, but i'm going to buy "The Book of Shabazz" tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me, heh.

To me, 93 'til Infinity (souls of michief), Metamorphical Music (nujabes) and Things Fall Apart (the roots) are underrated along with the entire DITC crew. At least where I live, the roots, SOM and DITC don't get much talk.

• 2 weeks later...