Fashion jobs/internships

I wouldn't limit yourself to buying for now. I would get working as quickly as possible, and keep looking for the perfect role while your already working. That's what worked for me at least- got a job outside of the fashion industry that taught me skills which ended up helping me get the job I wanted. Now I'm working in fashion with an awesome company and I feel like I'm where I want to be.

This is the best advice. 

Never limit yourself to yourself to one position this early in the game. Diversify. It'll help you stand out so much more.  

Edited by Mrama

any tips for applying to fashion retail jobs?

walk in, ask to speak to the manager, introduce yourself politely and give them your resume - don't give it to a sales associate because the majority of them will just throw it out. some of the bigger stores/chains like uniqlo might ask you to apply online but showing an interest in person is never going to hurt. the other obvious thing is to dress appropriately for whatever the store is - i.e. if you are wanting to work at red wing its probably not a good idea to be wearing ann d head to toe. if you get an interview, learn more about the label/brand/store, be 5 minutes early and try to be enthusiastic.

edit - i worked at american apparel in a small australian city for 3yrs. even though i was just a sales dude, i reckon i was given at least one resume a shift and at least 95% of the resumes i saw were complete and utter garbage for various reasons. obviously american apparel are going to be alot less scrutinising as opposed to dsm or whatever but still make sure yours is up to standard.

Edited by conqueror

@conqueror 

thanks dude, that's what i was interested in hearing. my one issue is i don't have prior fashion retail experience, and i'm concerned this will immediately deem me unqualified, or at least make my chances slimmer. I do have a lot of "hip" work experience but it's largely arts- specific (i.e. art handling, woodshop technician, gallery attendant, art book retail) so i'm hoping that will do something. and having been raised on sufu i've got a pretty extensive knowledge of the fashion world. Mostly looking for a job i'll be quitting in September when i go back to school, so maybe i won't aim ridiculously high. Thanks again tho

Edited by colourz

This is the best advice. 

Never limit yourself to yourself to one position this early in the game. Diversify. It'll help you stand out so much more.  

Sure but as an internship - with a low pay if it is not where I live I cannot afford it, while im a sale assistant/advisor I keep doing my studies and for a real job I'll take whatever I find even if its not a position in buying, of course.

Working outside fashion is of course a good possibility for me and I already started to look - as fashion isn't the only interest I have, hopefully.

Edited by Mr.Sander

For anyone currently residing in Manila. There is this. It's for somebody with any background experience in visual communications.

The company has been in the industry for 25 years and are the exclusive franchise holder of Balenciaga, COMME des GARCONS, Fred Perry, Y-3, Carven, and PYLONES on top of three multilabel concepts. 

yep, one of my ex-girlfriends best friends works for prada. i imagine its not the easiest role to land...

Just curious, what do they do? because as far as I know, the juicy work are usually commisioned to design studios... Let's say Prada, they have always been working closely with 2x4

Just curious, what do they do? because as far as I know, the juicy work are usually commisioned to design studios... Let's say Prada, they have always been working closely with 2x4

i don't know exactly, i just remember her posting about it on fb and photos of the office etc. from memory she started in their watch division.

• 2 months later...

Depends on the brand. Burberry have taken everything in-house. A lot of the technical development side is outsourced, but everything else is done in-house.

• 2 weeks later...

^ some are paid i think, I would really like to have a taste on how european design studios operate... Here in my country, 80% time spend on convincing client while the rest of the time left to do design