Fashion jobs/internships

So i'm not really asking if places are offering internships but more specifically what brands would be cool places to intern at. 

I am currently residing in London. I am interning at Aitor Throup, the coolest studio in the world, for the past 6 months and will be finishing my internship soon. I am looking to do another internship for a period of 3 months within the UK or even possibly somewhere else in Europe depending on living and finances. 

So far I have applied to hussein chalayan, Gareth Pugh, Haider Ackermann, Acronym, Tom Ford, Boris, and in the processes of trying to get into contact with the atelier of issey miyaki.

I might possibly contact Jean Pierre Braganza. 

If you guys have any cool recommendations, feel free to drop some comments down. 

I am very into technical/functional garments but also love creating really abstract and avant garde looks as well. I go for both extremes but never in between.

I studied Womens wear but recently decided that I am more suited for Menswear. I am open to both though so fill free to drop down any brand, men or women, down!

Edited by Dynasty

• 4 weeks later...

From what I've seen it looks like many fashion related internships are on the design side, how often do marketing/advertising opportunities pop up? I'm in the Boston area and would love to find something for next summer/school year. Besides this thread, can anyone recommend any other resources for finding internships in the industry?

LOL @ NH being in the Boston area. 

Anyway,

http://nypost.com/2013/11/21/conde-nast-interns-speak-out-on-program-shutdown/

I guess the consensus is that interns who were assigned to do nothing but bitchwork ruined the coveted internship with conde nast. 

I feel like people are just a bunch of whiners. I thought it was expected that you do hours and hours of sometimes dehumanizing bitchwork to make it big in media / fashun. Gotta get that salaryman mentality, you know. Always Amazed how Americans have such a lowthreshold for shit-taking. The sense of entitlement is ridiculous. Then again, I've never worked a day in fashun or media so I don't know what kind of BS people have to put up with.

i'm not american, so my perception of internships may not be entirely accurate (they don't really exist in australia unless you're studying something like accounting) but i'm guessing the vogue interns are not necessarily opposed to 'bitchwork' but probably have unrealistic expectations; i.e. the girl probably thought she would be helping out by proofreading copy, helping out on a shoot or something more glamorous as opposed to spending all day walking around nyc to buy caviar for some cunt in management who probably treats the interns like dirt as opposed to you know, real people. the problem is these companies clearly premeditate that they are going to get interns to do bitchwork like that and that's when exploitation and 'broken dreams' comes into play - there has to be some give and take between both parties. there's also obviously different types of bitchwork - something menial like filing or photocopying is obviously boring as fuck but needs to be done in any organisation and everyone usually does it at one stage in their career. on the flip side, dropping some execs suit at his favourite dry cleaner 5hrs away from the office is largely taking advantage of free labour and has no benefit to any aspect of the organisation except the person who requested it for their own personal gain. the way that american businesses (especially in media, law and finance, from what i've seen) can continue to take advantage of millions (?) of grads year after year blows my mind.

Edited by conqueror

I totally agree with unpaid interns filing lawsuits, and I have to agree with Conqueror - in general, unpaid internships are bullshit.

They're bad for the economy (just my opinion, I'm no economist), they're bad for the company, and they're bad for the individual in the internship itself.  The intern inadvertently lowers the wages of his/her fellow full-time co-workers.  A perfect example is the legal field as stated above.  With the economy tanked, firms have laid off their support staff and brought in over-qualified and recently graduated law students (who in many cases are licensed attorneys) to work in paralegal positions (mind you they have ~$150 grand in debt), with the false promise of one day being promoted to attorney and handling proper tasks and casework.  Combine that with summer interns who work for free, firms realize they can get their administrative work done for cheaper at the expense of their own full-time staff that still remain.  This in turn weakens the staff member/employee's ability to negotiate for better wages and benefits in these positions because their boss can just find someone else who is foolish enough to do it for free or absurdly low wages.  

Maybe I'm just being an asshole about it because I've had bad experiences. I clerked in law firms as a summer intern in college and have worked as a paralegal for four years.  I decided not to take the law school plunge because of the cost and how new attorneys are treated once they enter the work force.  Find a company that's going to treat you right and you will much happier and more productive.  

Best of luck in your searches, apologies for the word vomit.

Edited by AngularDeath

• 4 weeks later...

Any internships in Belgium ? Gotta spend my time usefully. Holler at me :)

Get in touch with BVBA 32, and visit the Flanders Fashion Institute. Their office is on the first floor of the fashion museum/academy.

There are also a lot of designers based in Antwerp, I'm sure you'll know. Christian Wijnants is just one among many, but you could also check Stephan Schneider, Bruno Pieters, Tim Van Steenbergen, Dries Van Noten, Raf Simons, Dirk Van Saene, Jan Jan Van Essche etc. etc.

Edited by Nifarol

Does anyone have a strategy to approaching ateliers? 

I hate directly sending a cv/portfolio within the first email and most of the ateliers I want to intern for are no where to be found in Chicago. Anyone have any advise/success with online interaction in terms of pursuing a fashion internship?

If anyone in NYC is looking for a internship for school credit next semester, and would be down to work/"gain experience" in a mostly menswear showroom for a day or two a week, PM me. It's going to be unpaid, which I agree totally sucks and would change if I could but on the plus side you get to hang out with me, touch clothes, meet funny Japanese fashion buyers, and sometimes there is a dog in the office that you can pet.  

If anyone in NYC is looking for a internship for school credit next semester, and would be down to work/"gain experience" in a mostly menswear showroom for a day or two a week, PM me. It's going to be unpaid, which I agree totally sucks and would change if I could but on the plus side you get to hang out with me, touch clothes, meet funny Japanese fashion buyers, and sometimes there is a dog in the office that you can pet.  

Still looking for help if anyone has free time and is looking for experience.  

• 2 weeks later...

Man that is a really opportunity, wish I could find something equal here in the UK. 

PS If anyone has suggestions on how a university drop out can get closer to working with nice clothes, I'm all ears. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just became Editor-in-Chief of my school's (Brown University) fashion magazine. Doing a total overhaul aesthetically and currently working with some sufu-alum brands, real world fashion tech companies (can't mention names yet but they've been in Vogue, Bullett....), and so on, to create a really nice publication. If anyone's interested in contributing hit me up via pm. 

edit: i know its not a "job" or "internship" per se, but it will definitely help with getting your foot into the industry.

Edited by dhaddict 82

Hi all, need some advice. I have no fashion experience, other than being a DJ at a large boutique in Los Angeles, and handling some sales, but that was a long time ago. My only career experience has been in the music industry, which has been very good to me, but lacks the social interaction and fast paced, season to season lifestyle that I enjoy in fashion.. As well as keeping up with trends and researching, etc. Is there any hope for me if school isn't really an option (i'm not exactly a kid anymore). I also don't really want to necessarily work in the actual manufacturing of clothes but more style / identity side of things. I'd love to be able to use my skills in the music industry (producing, etc) and somehow collaborate with designers on visual/audio identity, but not sure if they usually hire people for that or go through an actual marketing company or just seek friends or people of celebrity or scene popularity.  

Thanks! Interested in seeing what kind of dialogue this can bring forward. 

Edited by exterminatingphantom

Hi all, need some advice. I have no fashion experience, other than being a DJ at a large boutique in Los Angeles, and handling some sales, but that was a long time ago. My only career experience has been in the music industry, which has been very good to me, but lacks the social interaction and fast paced, season to season lifestyle that I enjoy in fashion.. As well as keeping up with trends and researching, etc. Is there any hope for me if school isn't really an option (i'm not exactly a kid anymore). I also don't really want to necessarily work in the actual manufacturing of clothes but more style / identity side of things. I'd love to be able to use my skills in the music industry (producing, etc) and somehow collaborate with designers on visual/audio identity, but not sure if they usually hire people for that or go through an actual marketing company or just seek friends or people of celebrity or scene popularity.  

Thanks! Interested in seeing what kind of dialogue this can bring forward. 

STEP ONE: BE FAMOUS