What do you think about the city you live in?

homi29

Madison Wisconsin

Pros

Liberal and open minded city

many diverse communities/neighborhoods with their own personalities

two huge lakes, lake front property is easy to come by

LOVES alcohol, public drinking is all but universally accepted

Extremely bike friendly

Beautiful capitol

Top notch university

Cons

Long, frigid winter

Roads fall apart very quickly so summer is full of construction

LOVES alcohol

Never seen so many bar fights as I have living here

Hippy grocery stores are expensive

Flat as hell, no mtns :(

Vancouver

Cons

Expensive to live here! Apartment prices are nuts. And unless you're paying $1600+, all you usually get is a really generic place to live.

No way man, Mt. Pleasant and surrounding hoods you can find 1bd for under $800, and that neighbourhood is prime to live in.

edit: also, I know homeless is real bad in vancouver, but in edmonton I find I get hit up like 10x more for smokes/$. more aggressively too.

Tho I remember my friend and I were both smoking in van and this dude tried to hit us up and we said 'nah man we had to bum these'

and he said 'you know people have to suck dick for those' in a really serious/angry voice. we had a good lol at his expense.

NYC (vol. 2377171)

Pros:

job market - more jobs here than anywhere it seems. more variety. more networking. schools etc. environments can be cutthroat but theres work here

plenty to do - self explanatory. both culturally and mission-wise

public transit - trains and buses 24/7. trains arent dependable but you can depend on them

chicks - tons of em. seems like a lot of the pretty ones/cool ones go here when they graduate. good for them

baseball - it'sa baseball town

shit to buy - at all price points if youre into retail

simple living - no car, walk to work, etc. fewer bills. it's nice

fun - it's fun living here. better than boston or montreal IMO. not that far ahead of montreal but its nice to be in the middle of it all. im sure ill care less and less about that as time goes on

its NYC

cons

everyone's so busy all the time and people you dont like are harder to reach than the president. not a good look

stuck up girls - might be me tho. i dont have sleeves

everyone here looks weather beaten - some girls look like theyve been buggy whipped

expensive - rent is expensive duh. buying is out of the question unless you are willing to live in NJ/travel a ton/are upppper class

pack mentality/fickleness - plenty of it here. but is unfair to say it's a ny thing

can get claustrophobic

overall no complaints aside from the money. i was wifed up the whole time i was here tho and im not anymore, so we'll see how the tides turn

No way man, Mt. Pleasant and surrounding hoods you can find 1bd for under $800, and that neighbourhood is prime to live in.

Hit me up with $800 1bd knowledge man -- I actually live in Mount Pleasant in a bachelor and have absurdly cheap rent -- but have been looking for a 1bd and can't find anything under 1000 duckets.

I just came back to update the 'everyone in Vancouver is super nice' loling, because right now there's a giant riot happening downtown and people are burning cars and other things.

I know. :(

The saddest part is there's a big theatre downtown that was playing a musical, and it got out about an hour after the riot started (and is RIGHT where all of the cars were burning/people were going crazy).

Everyone who went to see the play (almost all families/kids) had no idea anything was happening, and had to stay inside till it was safe for them to leave. They had a shot of them all huddled in front of the big glass doors...agh...

Oakland

Pros:

Food is the greatest

All types of food all types of quality all types of prices

Lots of stuff happening all the time

Rest of the bay area

People ask you if it's dangerous

Rent is cheap some places and expensive others

Weather is nice

Cons:

There aren't really too many cons?

Crime is I guess disproportionate to it's population

Some really bad neighborhoods but it will never affect you if you don't want it to...

Not a ton of people but the whole bay area is kind of connected so...

I mean, some or you guys mentioned shopping. There's no real shopping in Oakland but you can take public transit to the city or wherever so whatever.

Streets are shitty, tons of rundown stuff, potholes, abandoned buildings, but not so bad

Idk I really like Oakland. Trying to move away soon just coz I've always lived here but I mean, I dont know. Maybe someone wiser than me has a better opinion.

Honestly what Oakland does is have awesome food cheap rent and I think a lot of cool cultural things happen. So I think it's cool

Which brings me to San Fran. Not a day goes by that I don't want to pack up and move to the bay. I only spent a week there as an adult but I can tottally see myself enjoying a lifetime there. They have the same appreciation for food/music/art as NY with a way more approachable and clean aesthetic. Plus the proximity to napa puts it so far over the top. I imagine it could be as close as you could get to living in France without dealing with the French. That's a whole other story though. If i move again, it'll be to sf. Until I find reason to, Toronto is home simply because everywhere else I go, I miss it.

This is an interesting sentiment. I love SF every time I go there but the last time that I went I took the wife and the nexus-of-bums that is market street freaked her the fuck out, and we live in washington heights.

I could totally see myself living in the bay area somewhere though, even berkeley.

Toronto is an alright city. Great people, great shopping, etc like any other big city... only thing missing is it's nothing special to look at. It's rather dull and concrete, all those new condos shooting up are really killing the look of this city.

Montreal is my home and heart, and there's so much more love for that city, nothing compares.

My next home is Bali and I can't wait! If anyone has info on Bali, please shed some knowledge.

it'd probably be unsporting of me to say someone sounds like a half-wit when he's just trying to describe the city he lives in but oceansect, how do "People ask you if it's dangerous" and "Rent is cheap some places and expensive others" constitute pros for oakland?

uhhhh theres a myriad of different places you can live basically no matter what. i guess i meant you can live somewhere awesome for cheap, but its not all cheap housing?

people ask you if its dangerous really isnt a pro lol sorry no way to answer how it is... maybe you can sound like a badass? (not really)

and i'm definitely a half wit, though to be fair i wrote that at like 4 am after not sleeping and working all day before. but i will admit i'm a half wit, yep

Oakland

Cons:

Some really bad neighborhoods but it will never affect you if you don't want it to...

This is not true. Especially if you're a girl. My girlfriend gets hollered at in really gross/innapropriate ways at all hours of the day/night in oakland/south berkeley, and won't walk at night unless she's with a dude.

Also, if you're a white dude ("hipster") drunk off your ass, better not walk/bike home alone. You gonna get knocked the fuck out and your wallet stolen.

This is not true. Especially if you're a girl. My girlfriend gets hollered at in really gross/innapropriate ways at all hours of the day/night in oakland/south berkeley, and won't walk at night unless she's with a dude.

Also, if you're a white dude ("hipster") drunk off your ass, better not walk/bike home alone. You gonna get knocked the fuck out and your wallet stolen.

Ya but you saying that like drunken white hipsters aren't the most worthy of an ass kicking sect of the population, though. Like if I were to say, prison is shit if you're a child molestor... First off, no shit! Secondly, awesome!