What do you think about the city you live in?

homi29

I currently live in New York and for the most part thing its a pretty awesome city. Rent costs way more than it should but the food/shopping/and general ambiance of the city is great. I think its pretty well suited to the type of lifestyle I like but I'd still like to live in other places at some point.

What do you guys think about the city you live in. Love it ? Hate it? Desperately want to move or would you stay there forever?

Chicago is about as good as it gets, but I'd like to live elsewhere for a while before I get too old or rooted to do so. I'm thinking Seattle or Charleston. It would be tough to leave Chicago, though; I'm sure I'd realize pretty quickly that nowhere can replace it, regardless of how great that other place may be.

Lincoln, Nebraska. Fucking sucks. Nothing to do, nothing to eat, nothing to see, just a medium sized college town full of white people who look like gym teachers and golfers.

Be here for 2 more years and then to hopefully Chicago, NYC, or back to Europe. Grew up in Antwerp, loved it and still do...

holy shit, you're 32 and live in Lincoln? that would suck.

I have said it so many times before, and I honestly still don't understand the love for Chicago. I've been to Chicago several times and everytime I've been, I couldn't wait to get out of that city. Nothing impressed me, many things disgusted me, and I think most of all, it's been every person from Chicago I've ever met in my life big upping it nonstop. I really want to know what is great about Chicago, in terms of somewhat universally enjoyable things.

Copenhagen... it is alright I guess.

I just hate that it is such a small city, I mean we have no more than five decent clothing stores. Perhaps just one or two really worth checking out occasionally.

Denmark has produced a bunch of world renowned furniture designers (Arne Jacobsen, Poul Henningsen, Hans J Wegner, Verner Panton, Poul Kjærholm), but the funny thing is that we only have a small handful of really inspiring furniture stores.

It is always the same people you see at the parties/clubs. Quite sad really.

Food is great in terms of fine dining, but i really miss some good quality cheaper ethnic street food style kitchen. You can't get a decent bowl of pho for under $20, you can't get bubble tea, it is not possible to get banh mi here, but we do have some quite good falafel places.

What I do like about this city is that we have bicycle paths everywhere, so it is not as polluted as it is in a lot of other European cities.

Biggest plus is that the girls here are fine as fuck and the world class architecture.

Dismalfuture -- Wait, you're joking, right?

Food, art, architecture, wonderful universities, solid public transit, amazingly well-planned/designed grid, shopping, nightlife, gorgeous parks and lake front, great music scene, cleanliness...

I've enjoyed every city I've visited, but have always left with a renewed appreciation for just how clean and together Chicago is. Philly and NYC are great, but filthy as fuck. Garbage on the street?

You may have had some bad experiences in Chicago, but understand that you belong to an incredibly tiny minority of people who fail to recognize the things that make Chicago great. Not greater than other cities, because it's all subjective, but great nonetheless.

I'll give you maybe a half point on the food (out of the 1 point I'd give Paris, New York, and Tokyo), the full 1 point on architecture (although the good architecture represents less than 1 percent of what exists in Chicago, and the rest is not notable or even good, universities don't do anything for me - I graduated and don't plan on returning, CTA is worth about a half point and definitely not a full one, and I was almost stabbed at an L station once, nice grid but obscenely expensive parking, shopping sucks, nightlife is what? Chicago doesn't have a club scene, parks and the lakeshore are overrated, everybody thinks their city has great music, and cleanliness is subjective - I've seen plenty of filth in Chicago.

Other downsides - all of the above is overrated, plus: Chicago has miserable weather half the year, and the summer is unbearably hot, housing is either in the suburbs or its ugly and expensive, and its too suburban at that, Chicago is almost suffocatingly segregated, Chicago is a big city but it's in the middle of nowhere, the girls are homely, as far as I can see, it's a huge Midwestern bro-fest of a city.

I have already heard everything you said, many times before, but I really do not see it.

FWIW I'm moving to Tokyo in a few months and I would say the same things you said about Chicago, plus more, but I honestly feel like what applies there would be 10X more true.

Assessment of Seoul:

Cons:

- Architecture - absolutely awful, commercial and residential alike, for everyone from the top to the bottom of society. The basic principles of architecture are ignored - no quality, no commodity, no firmness, no delight

- Cost of living - real estate, food and drink, entertainment, personal effects, safety, etc - insanely high. Intrinsic or stated quality, toe to toe, more expensive than NYC, more expensive than Tokyo, more expensive than London.

- Food - 20 million people that know nothing about food, with a country that doesn't produce anything good domestically, and won't import anything due to xenophobia. Get used to weird substitutions on normal foods, get used to everything tasting awful, get used to insanely expensive meals. Expectations of hygiene and for things to be appetizing really need to be curbed, and replaced with very primal slop that is formulaic and represents cooking techniques made several hundred years ago, only due to the lack of refrigeration and limited resources in the 18th century.

- Drink - the local drug - anything imported is expensive and used as a status symbol, rather than for enjoyment

-Cleanliness - Seoul is filthy, smog is heavy and yellows the skies, trash litters the streets, people spit often, communicable diseases are easily transmitted, many areas smell like open sewers and rancid urine

- Culture - awful. Nobody has any inkling about the currency of 'cool' and nobody really knows anything about anything. The internet has helped alot, but there's still so far to go. Most popular culture is cringeworthy and embarassing if you figure out what is going on. On the other side of things, what it means to be Korean, to live in Seoul, to be a Seoulite - that is all losing a lot of the meaning it ever had.

- Local politics - awful

- People are impolite, and you see people fighting in the streets very often.

- Traffic is terrible, drivers are terrible and unsafe, gridlock and accidents all the time

- etc, etc, etc,

Pros:

-a lot of good looking girls lately (but a shocking number of women involved in prostitution, as well)

-it's pretty easy to impress people here, a lot of people fake it and make it to the top, with things like blogs, being white, etc.

- 24 hr convenience and freedom in some aspects

Toronto is, overall a very good city, one that I'd definitely recommend you come visit sometime in your life!

Pros:

- ethnic diversity. Some of you whitewashers may complain about the lack of Swiss Chalet's and TGI Friday's to eat at in the downtown, but if you prefer quality shawarma, dumplings, pho, kimchi & bi bim bap, udon noodles, sushi, jerk chicken, mexican food (all of it), ethiopian cuisine, and basically every other culture that has food superior to the American kind (not including Canada, we made maple syrup and poutine, TYVM), you will love the cheap, world-class food options here. And there's a community for everyone if you're a foreigner to help get shown around.

- it's a very photogenic, beautiful city. Seriously, you can pick a subway stop to get off of anywhere in central or northern parts of the city and almost always find something interesting to take a picture of. And we have really interesting architecture. Excluding those awful glass box condos. Too 90s bland.

- Great clothing store options, both swagged and vintage. Excellent community of people that surround them too. I've only felt looked down at really while going through Holt Renfrew. Everyone else is courteous and pretty damn pleasant.

- People are genuinely nice here, compared to some of the attitude you might get in Paris or NYC.

- Fairly accessible via transit, but it needs to expand a ton to compete with the other big cities of the world.

Cons:

- Weather. If you've never experienced a Canadian winter, you will in Toronto November-April. The smog gets pretty bad in the summertime.

- You have to be "in the know" a bit to find out what's really going on, though i suppose that's a downfall of every major city.

- It's getting a lot more expensive than it used to be. (see: produce, gas, everything fun worth going out to)

i grew up and lived in northern california (san jose) all my life. i like it, it's home. weather is always gorgeous, lots of different kinds of people, the food is alright, nightlife is whatevs but you find things to do. here you're just a stone's throw away from the forest, the beach, the snow, etc. i just feel like the friends i went to school with have no intention of like ever leaving san jose.

i'll be moving up to berkeley soon which i'm really excited about. we'll see how i get on up there.

NYC

Cons

-Filthy, its cleaner now, but its still filthy, and its filthy because of all these assholes who visit, goto school here. Us locals end up paying fines everytime some jerkoff leaves their vomit\halal chicken and rice box\subway sandwich wrapper in front of our homes. I dread "NYU

move out day"

-Traffic, its awful here, its mostly caused by suburbanites who are scared to interact with ethnic people on public transportation. You paying 500 a month to park in midtown plus tows so you can avoid rubbing elbows next to common folk on NJ transit.

-Cost of living - we pay more taxes, higher sales taxes, RE prices are high. RE taxes keep going up every year, every other week we're getting fined for something. I got a sanitation fine the other day for a pile of menus inside the lobby. Of course the fine was dropped, but these motherfuckers try hoping people automatically pay fines.

-Constantly getting hit up for bullshit. Crusties and Homeless everywhere, if I'm not getting hit up for funds by homeless, I'm getting hit up by Childrens International, and Jehovahs's Witnesses. If its not these people, its AMNY or some shit.

-Food - Good food is expensive, overpriced. Mediocre food is really mediocre here. For a city full of asians, we have a lot of mediocre asian food. I have an argument every week with my white friends about how really shitty Chinese food in NY is, they think its amazing. Ethnic food here is dumbed down, but probably way less dumbed down than the rest of the country People are fucking sheep here about food. People line up everyday for Ippudo, Shake Shack and Clinton Street Baking. If Rokurinsha wa here, I'd admit Iine up.

Pros

Clothing shopping is pretty good, we have awesome sample sales all the time.

Dog friendly - I can bring my dog almost everywhere, even places I wouldnt bring him, so many occasions where I was just window shopping or checking out a restaurant menu and was invited in(DOH dont work sundays lol) My dog is overweight cus every store has dog treats. Dog parks every few blocks, even by my parents house in Elmhurst has 2.

Safety - people park Ferraris with the top down on the stree, wear $20000 watches, use their macbooks\kindles on the train at night, well us colored folk anyway without fear, seems like my Caucasian friends who live out in Greenpoint, Bushwick, Bronx are constantly getting robbed. Why do you people live there? If you want cheaper rent, bigger space, and a hour commute, move back to Westchester and Long Island.

Boston

Pros:

Most music acts pass through

Lots of fine dining

Not overrun with white trash

Best sports town in the country

Shitloads of beaches

Lots of historical/architecture

Lots of female students

People in general here are more cynical/inclined to tell it like it is. Not flaky/fake nice/aloof like some other parts of the country

Cons:

Expensive housing

Too many yuppies

SUCK weather

Male students

Red Sox should move outside the city

Faneuil Hall

No medical weed stores

Ultra competitive employment market