best tailor in bangkok?

ajm27

• 3 years later...
I'll be in bkk this summer, and was looking to get to a good tailor to get some suits & shirts made for work

does anyone know of any good tailor that'll pump out some nice slim fitting suits, and shirts?

thanks in advance

Interesting - haven't had this conversation about tailors for a while! The day I decide to log back in, I see this! Either ways, here's your answer - Crown Tailors. Theyre like a 20 meter walk inside of Sukhumvit Soi 8 and should pump up some new suits and shirts for you! Don't forget to go back for the fittings though!

• 1 year later...

I would like to recommend Toms Fashion. They are Very friendly and helpful. You pay a bit more than at most of the tailors' in Bangkok. But it's definitely worth it! I bought three suits, three shirts and one tie, and I am very happy with them. They were made at very short notice. I will be back should I ever travel to Bangkok again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of Tom's Fashion. His website is TomsFashion.com and the address is 19, Soi Preeda, Sukhumvit Soi 8, Bangkok 10110, Thailand

"Best service I can remember getting while shopping. Very friendly and helpful. I wasn't sure about how to pick options for a custom tailored suit, but they took me through it step-by-step. Amazing product! I am extremely happy with the way my suits, pants and shirts came out and will definately be ordering more in the future. They also have excellent ties."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've spent some time trying various tailors here in Bangkok. For the most part, I would say that you get what you pay for. For suits and shirts turned around in 24-48 hrs, you have plenty of Indian suit shops on Sukhumvit Rd., primarily concentrated between Asoke and Nana (Rajawongse, Rajas, Gulati, etc.). And for these you will pay around 200-400 USD for a fused jacket cut from a template with oversized shoulder pads and pants cut from (sometimes) polyester and wool blends. While the bolts say "made in Italy" on the selvedge, my understanding is that the "wool" is actually from China and even Thailand and is woven in Italy, so that it can feature "made in Italy" tag.

Most of the shops are sales fronts as no actual stitching happens there. And most of them tout an impressive clientele of US Secret Service agents, DEA agents, embassy attaches and the odd president. Given these archetypes don't represent what I would probably consider a decent suit, I would be prepared to insist on specific details that you want even if they insist that they know "suits" and "fashion". They can sometimes be pushy so if you know what you want make sure you stay firm.

Recently, I've been more partial to the Thai-Chinese tailors in Bangkok (Narin, Tanika, July), who run smaller and quieter operations. Price points are usually much higher, depending on the fabric selected, but the workmanship is far superior to what I've experienced with the Indian suit shops. Both Narin and Tanika stock Italian and English fabrics like Loro Piano, Zegna, Holland & Sherry, etc. A suit cut from these bolts will cost between 1200-1900 USD and will take about 3-4 weeks for 4 fittings, including the initial measuring. This price would include full canvassing for the jacket, which should be stated from the beginning. The rest of the suit can be built entirely to your preferences (minimal shoulders, hand picked stitching, high armholes, ticket pocket, surgeon cuffs, etc.) with excellent materials (horn buttons).

After examining the Zegna or Hugo Boss (Reda) suits at Central Chitlom in Bangkok selling for 40,000 to 50,000 THB and comparing them to the quality of the suits cut at Narin or Tanika, I don't think I would ever buy a suit off-the-rack ever again. The lack of detailing from an off-the-rack suit, at that price point, is appalling and looks as machine-made as ever. No picked stitching on the lapels and they all sport faux surgeon cuffs. I suspect some are even fused or partially fused (glued). Not ok, especially at that price point.

Edited by Analyst

I've spent some time trying various tailors here in Bangkok. For the most part, I would say that you get what you pay for. For suits and shirts turned around in 24-48 hrs, you have plenty of Indian suit shops on Sukhumvit Rd., primarily concentrated between Asoke and Nana (Rajawongse, Rajas, Gulati, etc.). And for these you will pay around 200-400 USD for a fused jacket cut from a template with oversized shoulder pads and pants cut from (sometimes) polyester and wool blends. While the bolts say "made in Italy" on the selvedge, my understanding is that the "wool" is actually from China and even Thailand and is woven in Italy, so that it can feature "made in Italy" tag.

After examining the Zegna or Hugo Boss (Reda) suits at Central Chitlom in Bangkok selling for 40,000 to 50,000 THB and comparing them to the quality of the suits cut at Narin or Tanika, I don't think I would ever buy a suit off-the-rack ever again. The lack of detailing from an off-the-rack suit, at that price point, is appalling and looks as machine-made as ever. No picked stitching on the lapels and they all sport faux surgeon cuffs. I suspect some are even fused or partially fused (glued). Not ok, especially at that price point.

Can you recommend some specific tailor shops by name? I was under the impression Rajawongse was good, but it sounds you are against it. If not them, then who?

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Anybody know a good cobbler in Bangkok who can resole (goodyear welt)?

i don't think there is any 'real' cobbler in bangkok who can actually resole goodyear welted shoes. however, Selektiv stores in Bangkok does begin to offer sole replacement service. they said they actually restitch the sole but from the pictures i cannot really tell if they actually resole them (probably just replace the sole and stitch them back without replacing footbed, etc). 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.845763255467773.1073741933.620735464637221&type=3