Thrifting

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus khoiphan, I answered the exact same question for you in another thread 9 hours ago, in the small question thread.

Incredible that it is so hard to use the search function. And the encyclopedia thread !!!

can you tell what year your levi 501's are by looking at the leather patch?

mine say 1873

Hey khoiphan92, just wondering about the obsession you have about your leather patch. Are the jeans vintage Levi's that you need to date? Are they repros? If so, just post some pictures and I'm sure some one can tell you the model type and year.

i accidently posted here i thought i was in another thread

agreed, i say khoiphan92 gets immunity from everyone on this board EXCEPT the superfreaks. I vouch for khoiphan92 as diewhitegirls and I stayed up late one night helping him find out how to not shrink his jeans. khoiphan92 has brought more joy in my heart than any of you ungrateful shits. back off.

ask away khoiphan92.

okay cmf, heres a job for you, what do you reckon 'bout these, 3$ at the local red cross thrift store:

08122006107.jpg

08122006109.jpg

08122006111.jpg

no talon 42, no E on red-tab, no selvedge

okay, wasnt thinking that it was anything big either. they were hanging beside the filthiest pair of track-pants ever, so wasnt aiming for the stars.¨

but damn danish thrift stores are low level !

• 3 months later...

I did a search on "big E" and this thread popped up with tons of useful information. So bump:)

I am sorry if this has been discussed previously, but how do you tell a reproduction from the real deal?

According to some of the info I read, and that link cheapmutherfucker has posted, the pair I own is manufactured between 1954-1960 (it has the paper leather tag with "Every Garment Guaranteed", has selvage, and the red tag is a big E). But I really doubt that I have anything that amazing, as I don't remember paying big bucks for it, so I am thinking it's repro.

If anyone can give me pointers on what I should look for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

okay, wasnt thinking that it was anything big either. they were hanging beside the filthiest pair of track-pants ever, so wasnt aiming for the stars.¨

but damn danish thrift stores are low level !

I just found a pair of Lee Cooper redline selvage and a vintage danish made sweatshirt yesterday, here in Aarhus. So I wouldn't give up if I were you... Will post pics later today, but they're drying now.

I did a search on "big E" and this thread popped up with tons of useful information. So bump:)

I am sorry if this has been discussed previously, but how do you tell a reproduction from the real deal?

According to some of the info I read, and that link cheapmutherfucker has posted, the pair I own is manufactured between 1954-1960 (it has the paper leather tag with "Every Garment Guaranteed", has selvage, and the red tag is a big E). But I really doubt that I have anything that amazing, as I don't remember paying big bucks for it, so I am thinking it's repro.

If anyone can give me pointers on what I should look for, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

The number on the back of the top button should be a good indicator, repro will have a three digit number (555, etc.) newer models have an R in the number, but old levis will have a single or double digit number (2, 8, 16, etc.).

Thanks!

one of the easiest indicator for older vintage levi's is if LEVIS is only on the front side of the red tab without the ®. if you have one of those, do not let it go easily.

there are tons of other ways to check, like if there's a single or double stitching behind the back pockets, but it depends on what era and what models. pretty involved stuff, i must say.

hawkeye, Bijan, and Chicken- thank you guys for helping me out!

hawkeye's "number in the back of the button" let me figure out that this was in fact a repro!

Now that I know this, I think I am gonna try to sell it... I bought it back in the days when I didn't know denim had a "good fit" and a "bad fit" so they are 4 sizes too big on me!!!

This was the pair that had me :confused::confused::confused::confused:

PS- my dog is cute.

423179816_81acd3f9cb.jpg

423179821_dfe0f3d9f9.jpg

423179835_2badbfd727_m.jpg

423179848_e40f55d906_m.jpg

The detail that gave it away!

423179858_b1c80204b8_o.jpg

Wow, beautiful jeans insomniac! If you are going to sell those be sure to mention the 555, as Chicken stated they are sought after early LVCs. I had a pair in my hands a couple of months ago at a thrift store and I let them go...regretted it ever since.

yes it does say "555".

so.... maybe i should keep it? i don't wanna regret like hawkeye did :D

nah... you should give them to me:cool: wait... they are my size... whats the true inseam?

but if you dont want to do that, keep them. those are hard to come by, and are faded beautifully. the 55 is a good cut too.

nah... you should give them to me:cool: wait... they are my size... whats the true inseam?

but if you dont want to do that, keep them. those are hard to come by, and are faded beautifully. the 55 is a good cut too.

i think i will keep it and pull it out from the back of my closet when i am fat, old, and miserable:p

on another note- there's true inseam and a fake inseam? man, i'm retarded when it comes to this type of denim....

They're not Levi's, but I found a cool pair of Dope+Drakkar 1100 jeans in my size for $13 at a thrift store a couple blocks away from Self Edge. the yellow tab on the back pocket caught my eye, but the leather patch was pretty worn out so i couldnt tell what they were. i flipped the cuff and saw yellow selvedge seams, so i checked the tag which read 'Made in Japan'. Upon inspection of the buttons/rivets, i discovered they were Dope+Drakkar! they're super hairy and have ridiculous roping fade on the hem, but for a pre-owned pair they dont have much contrast fading (they were definately frequently washed by the previous owner). anyway, thank you for listening to my story, i can post pics if anyone wants to see them.

after doing a search i found out that Levi's filed a lawsuit with them long before the other brands were (2005?). There's no thread on sufu dedicated to this brand but several members have mentioned them before and shared pics. The Black Arm also found a pair of these at a thrift shop for hella cheap, his has better contrast fades:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showpost.php?p=65227&postcount=38

tag says 31w 34l... but those are pre shrinkage. so the waist should be about 30 and the inseam should really measure about 31

woa didn't know they shrunk that much:eek: