the short duu treak. how to maintain swag under 5'6''?

bruised

A lot of dudes on here and other fashion forums between like 5'5-5'10. Seems like there's a big concentration of dudes in that range and then it skips a few inches and there's a lot of 6'1-6'4 dudes on here as well. I don't know how that works but that's mostly what I sell in terms of TOJ. If there were a pin plot graph or something it'd just be mostly two big blobs on both sides.

i am only 5'6'' and not exactly skinny by any means.

problems i have: i am usually a medium in most designers and unfortunately when they make things fit bigger guys, they also make up for taller guys, so if something fits me in chest and shoulders, its usually also too long for me in the arms and body. sleeves can be fixed by a roll up but...

shoes almost always look too bulky or something.

hightops usually not a good look.

i would just stop eating and get skinny to help my cause but not an option for me at this point.

a64ab24c.jpg

8154f00a.jpg

judging from your waywt's it never occurred to me that you're 5' 6".. i would have guessed 5' 9"

i think shorter du's can look larger than life by either having a more built upper body and fit legs, or by being really skinny. if you take the first route, you gotta make sure everything fits spot on. have your tailor adjust body/sleeve length, inseam, and taper with regards to your size. the second route gives you more freedom but only works well with certain builds.

in your case, your upper half gives you the impression of largeness and balances your proportions out nicely. if you went ectomorphic, i think your head would end up looking too big.

photo-4.jpg

you're really not skinny enough for dropcrotch though.

the thing with anti-fit is that it works best in conjunction with something proportionally fitted with regards to your height. (e.g. if you're 5' 6", wearing xs jacket paired with drop crotch pants or oversized top with tiny jeans). that combination of well-fitted and ambiguity makes du's like .will17 look tall as hell. a good rule of thumb is to be wearing at least one piece of clothing that sets your proportions properly, then the rest can swag to anti-fit hell as much as you can handle.

the same goes for chunky footwear which you seem to have a thing for...

8jan2011.jpg

they really make your proportions wack here. this fit would benefit from sleek-toe'd shoes like GATs or CPs. someone mentioned earlier that your shoulders hould be the widest point. that taper all the way to your feet gives illusion of vertical length. even raf lego boots are relatively sleek at the toe, but i would recommend wearing anything with shafts that high unless you've got skinny legs.

imo a slim straight fit for pants looks way better on short people than this ultra-slim thing everyone seems to try for. implied slimness is more flattering. important to hem them though, ANY stacks on short people make them look a good two inches shorter than they really are.

i'm still trying to fux with boots. i think it looks okay if i don't tie em so tight (78 lacing concept)

good points pita. thank you for the 5'9'' guesstimate you creeper.

haploid, you are right on about implied slimness.

more pics (of other people)

big thighs are the worst because i have to buy pants that fit my frog legs but are a bit loose around my waist B|

quintus_van_amstel_frog_legs_2007.jpg

this pretty much how my ass/legs look too. but with more striations on hamstrings.

I'm also a little guy about 5'6". Gotten a bunch of rep from people who thought i was 6'.

I can't wear stuff that's too slim, a bit moreso as of late though as i'm not working out anywhere near what i used to. I've got pretty broad shoulders, traps from my kung fu/bjj training.

hailxenu, by and large you're steezin most of the time.

:D

i'm like 5'5/5'6. If you notice, I cuffs EVERYTHING or wear cropped pants. There are things that I can't wear because of my height like a mac/trench. They are usually too long. Outerwear have to be cropped or cut short. 25-27 is the ideal length. Button down shirt sleeves also need to be shortened. In the summer time, I just roll up my sleeves.

Some brands that work for me are ervell, apc boy shirts, BoO and +J have been great for basics.

servo is also a short fella and he's really good with proportion.

imo a slim straight fit for pants looks way better on short people than this ultra-slim thing everyone seems to try for. implied slimness is more flattering. i.

but I like to feel like Clint Eastwood in the Good, the bad, and the Ugly....well more like Jet from Wild Arms 3.

Jet_Enduro.jpg

Anime is in your house!

Posted · Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given

calling on scott.m and others 5'6'' and under preferably.

I don't know if Scott is really the person to ask if you want advice on how to play the height/proportion game. Dude has a sick wardrobe but I've talked to him a few times and he just doesn't give a fuck about proportion. His silhouette is boxy and his cuffs are sometimes above boot shaft height, both of which you'd rarely advise a shorter guy to do.

...i would just stop eating and get skinny to help my cause but not an option for me at this point.

Have you considered cutting before lifting more? Get down to a visible body fat level you're happy with then start lifting again? I'm curious, though. I'm 5'7" and 140-145 depending on the week and I'm an XS in everything (29-30" waist).

Hang the DJ pretty much summed it up, just wear what you like, fuck it. I've changed my diet drastically and started lifting and I've dropped down a full shirt size at the least, maybe 2 recently, everything fits better. The most important thing to do is take care of your body first, fuck a fashionz (recent revelation) That being said just really wear what you like, it just depends on how you'd like to look. I prefer more tailored wear lately and find myself moving towards that, and obviously all cropped everything. A good blazer is fantastic but as stated above I love boxy malfitting shit. If you want to maximize how slim and extend your silhouette, cropped torso, black. All of that jazz.

I don't know if Scott is really the person to ask if you want advice on how to play the height/proportion game. Dude has a sick wardrobe but I've talked to him a few times and he just doesn't give a fuck about proportion. His silhouette is boxy and his cuffs are sometimes above boot shaft height, both of which you'd rarely advise a shorter guy to do.

Have you considered cutting before lifting more? Get down to a visible body fat level you're happy with then start lifting again? I'm curious, though. I'm 5'7" and 140-145 depending on the week and I'm an XS in everything (29-30" waist).

so i'm thinking if youre gonna break the "rules" the best thing for a short du to do is just not give a fuck, and i think you can tell scott is just enjoying himself. swag

hmmm about the cutting. i would guess i'm in the 15% BF right now. i have been in the single digits of BF% before, but i was also alot less muscular then as well. i can definitely tell that my pants don't fit anymore because of muscle and not fat. i think its something about old man transition (i'm turning 30 this year) that just makes you bulky all around. even if i thinned out a little more i would still like to stop wearing such skinny jawnz.

i'm not lifting to be buff or anything, i'm just trying to stay in shape and be strong for everyday type of stuff or when the zombies attack or the apocalypse happens. or to be able to change a tire or lift a washer and dryer set up 3 flights of stairs and not feel so beat up after.

as far as hight/weight, i think you just have less muscle than me, but i'm sure you're also leaner too. and narrow frame?

+rep for lendo and mellowfellow when i get more.

ALL CUFFS EVERYTHING

A lot of dudes on here and other fashion forums between like 5'5-5'10. Seems like there's a big concentration of dudes in that range and then it skips a few inches and there's a lot of 6'1-6'4 dudes on here as well. I don't know how that works but that's mostly what I sell in terms of TOJ. If there were a pin plot graph or something it'd just be mostly two big blobs on both sides.

It doesn't mean much, if we account for the proportions of azns/whitey/brothers, ethnic stock and age group I bet people on fashion forum trend toward average, don't forget that 5'6" or 6'1 are part of the average height range in a place like the US. Maybe we have slightly slimmer people but even then I'm not sure when ethnic stock and age is considered, loads of people are relatively skinny at less than 25.

It doesn't mean much, if we account for the proportions of azns/whitey/brothers, ethnic stock and age group I bet people on fashion forum trend toward average, don't forget that 5'6" or 6'1 are part of the average height range in a place like the US. Maybe we have slightly slimmer people but even then I'm not sure when ethnic stock and age is considered, loads of people are relatively skinny at less than 25.

What dismal's noticing can also be attributed to the fact that many people come to a fashion forum in the first place to find solutions to a problem -- too short/too tall/too slim/whatever.

imo a slim straight fit for pants looks way better on short people than this ultra-slim thing everyone seems to try for. implied slimness is more flattering. important to hem them though, ANY stacks on short people make them look a good two inches shorter than they really are.

OK let's talk pants:

Implied skinniness is a good concept--hang onto that.

The thing, though, with most designer slim straight pants is that they're cut to look optimal on 6'+ du's.

Let's take the APC New Standard as an archetypal model. I think we can all agree that the NS is a slim straight cut on taller guys. Keep in mind that the size/hem ratio on these ranges from 28/7.5" to 32/8".

However, a size 26 NS still has a 7" leg opening. I am ~5' 7" and find that anything with a 7" leg opening looks more straight leg than slim straight. That's with like 1 break. If there's enough stacking, the silhouette begins to flare out like a boot cut. I don't think either looks bad, but with regards to visual height neither is ideal.

I can see why people here like cuffs so much--they force enough taper at the bottom to offset the leg opening. Cuffs also let your pants drape gracefully from the hips down. Without awkward bunching around your knees your legs look longer. But I'm still not really a fan as I think the cuffs themselves reduce the visual length of your legs.

What I prefer is to wear jeans and pants with a 6.25"-6.5" leg opening. This way, I can pull off no break and slight stacks equally well. I also like skinny jeans with a 6" leg opening, but I prefer more stacking on those to balance out the skinniness. More often than not, I wear them tucked as I feel that higher footwear (assuming a wide enough shaft) creates ambiguity that makes your legs look long and slender--I'll go into this in more detail later.

Pants, pt. 2:

rise / drop crotch - I hear a lot du's talking about wearing low rise jeans and pants--it's true, these easily make your legs look slimmest and longest. But I don't think shorter guys should limit themselves like that.

I personally wear bottoms with rises ranging from 8"-11". The higher the rise, the more important waist definition becomes. When you tuck a dress shirt into pants, your waist is clearly defined. It doesn't really matter if the pant crotch is right at your balls or slouched, as long as your waist is set high enough your legs will look long.

However, when you're wearing that kind of stuff casually, especially drop crotch, you don't have the benefit of a clearly defined waistline to properly set your proportions. This is where having a well fitted top comes into play. Shorter tops and jackets help too. It's also beneficial to have a good v-shaped torso with broad shoulders and a slim abdomen, as this gives you natural waist definition. If you set the top half properly, the extra volume you get from slouchy / drop crotch pants actually gives more prominence to your legs and makes you look taller.

i like what you're doing here

LISTIN TO THIS MAN my fellow short du's

totally agree about the hem opening to waist ratio. good break down on info here.

6.5in/17cm is about perfect for me too for hem opening.

Yeah, I belong in this thread, just fall at exactly 5'6, 140 lbs athletic build. Majority of the time I fit in the S category, sometimes XS depending on the brand. Having broad shoulders helps but the height of any shirt/jacket falls a tad bit short

i have broad shoulders too

makes buying oxfords a bitch because they're mid-thigh in length when they fit perfectly in the shoulders

:(

at the same time, it enables me to really reach a new level of chillness with my appearance when i wear it untucked (aka when i'm drunk). one day i feel this will be a highly sought-after asset.

^fuqq yeah. 16.5 shoulders but sooooo long every time

It seems like I'm the only short dude like this but I find that if I buy jeans with a taper they always end up being a little loose in the thigh while being too tight in the calves or is it just that PS fits that way?...iono

Suggestions?