Buzz Rickson

partytaco

13 minutes ago, Jambon said:

Thanks very much for such a helpful reply @Double 0 Soul is much appreciated. 

Think I’ll stick with the 38 as reckon I am similar height as also found the 40 a little long in length. 

Cheers 

No bother, i think the oversized cut of the size 40 would be considered a more historically accurate fit/my true size but it was too long in the body for me.

Foxy suggested i could warm iron some length/width back into my 38 should i choose to wash it but ive never ironed before, i'm not going to start now :D i don't think i would have been able to fasten the top button tho.

Edited by Double 0 Soul

2 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Any shrinkage when washing Buzz chinos?  I’m debating on sending mine to the cleaners or washing myself with a front loader washing machine/dryer.

Na, Just chuck em in the wash they're Sanforized you'll get zero shrinkage.

I bought a pair of their Original Spec chinos back in 2010, around this time Buzz used to offer OG or 1942 (looser cut) in 2 different shades of beige which you could buy Sanforized or in raw state but i believe they dropped the raw option soon after, so if nothing has changed in recent years they're Sanforized and you'll get zero shrinkage on a 40C wash.

Anyone have info on the Buzz sub brand United Carr? I saw an N1 made under this name for a pretty good price online; it looks not too different from the normal Buzz offering except with more technology (a synthetic looking outer shell and some kind of temperature reading device on the inner placket). Here’s the link: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F224107600365

Edited by chicote

18 hours ago, mlwdp said:

Any shrinkage when washing Buzz chinos?  I’m debating on sending mine to the cleaners or washing myself with a front loader washing machine/dryer.

It must depends on the chino, my original spec chinos (BR40025) were one wash and definitely kept shrinking with regular trips through the washer and dryer. I bought them quite loose and they fit great now. I would go the route of the dry cleaner if you have concerns about potential shrink.

Edited by boddacious

@chicote - I think United Carr is a budget sub-brand of Toyo. I’m not certain but I wouldn’t be surprised if some (or all) is made in China. So in summary, lower quality + made in China = lower prices.

Edited by Maynard Friedman
Sub-brand of Toyo, as Conqueror said, not BR

united carr is a sub-label of toyo and usually a quarter to half the price of buzz. i bought a UC MA-1 from hinoya about seven years ago as i didn't like buzz's offering at the time (USAF logos) nor william gibson's (colour). quality was very good for the price, though i ended up selling it shortly after it as i impulsively bought a size too small.

edit: from memory, the dude at hinoya said the only significant difference in construction was MIC vs MIJ and 50/50 wool/cotton vs 100% wool cuffs. i actually prefer cotton for that myself and don't really care about MIC, even though i own other buzz etc items.

Edited by conqueror

2 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Does anyone have a Buzz zip up hoody? Interested in views on fit and quality.

I have one of the earlier Buzz zip up hoodies in washed navy, think l bought it around 2011, so almost 10 years old.

It was originally £125 but l managed to get one that had a snag on the hood, so a reject for that reason only, for 65 quid. This was via Eastman.

I can tell you now that l thought that the hoody wasn't worth the £65 l paid when l first got it, let alone the full price. It was like a shapeless sack to start with (and l had deliberately down-sized to a medium) and it hasn't tightened up after a wash like you might expect from say brands such as warehouse or cushman.

Not worth the moola. Avoid.

:ph34r:

Edited by Dr_Heech

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, conqueror said:

i've never owned a buzz shirt before, so can anyone comment on sizing for the l/s chambray work shirt? i'm 6'1/80kg with a 39.5"ish chest, normally a M in western and L in japanese labels.

if you like the fit on the model then go with medium

https://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=341

That dude is 5' 10" and wears a small in most, unless the item runs small, in which case he wears a med.

I asked Kiya years ago, in fact it was probably 10yrs ago so he could have gained a few kg since then and now wears a med.

I think that fit works ok as a 'model shot' but in reality i think the shoulders and collar are too snug for a workshirt... at least for my personal tastes.

5 hours ago, conqueror said:

that dude is the same measurements as me? i was tossing up between a L or potentially even a XL.

Definitely go with the L then. I was going to suggest a L but the 31 inch length threw me off. I looked it up on another site and that says it is 29 inch length which sounds much more reasonable https://www.historypreservation.com/products-page/brands/buzz-rickson-1944-u-s-navy-chambray-shirt-revised-fit/

I am your height/weight and wear a medium in the shirt but I have a smaller chest :blush:

10 hours ago, conqueror said:

i've never owned a buzz shirt before, so can anyone comment on sizing for the l/s chambray work shirt? i'm 6'1/80kg with a 39.5"ish chest, normally a M in western and L in japanese labels.

I’m 5’10”/79kg, and also normally wear a western M and Japanese L. I have the Chambray in M, and it fits great, with the exception of the sleeves being just a bit short. 

I am 170cm 85kg and wear a Japanese L due to stocky and broad shoulders.  I wear a western M or L depending on the brand.  I have the chambray in a L.

Edited by mlwdp

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

PSA - Got myself the American Volunteer Group (aka Flying Tigers) t-shirt and it appears to be loop wheeled (no side seams) has no side seams, which I wasn't expecting.

Edited by JDelage