Buzz Rickson

partytaco

On 11/26/2018 at 12:09 AM, mlwdp said:

I've been meaning to ask this but for the Sugar Cane thread since both brands are under Toyo.

Is the denim made by Buzz really just Sugar Cane denim but with the Buzz tag on it?  I've haven't seen anyone review their denim on here or in the WAYWT thread.  

For example:

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/auc-cream-r/item/m43023onewash/

I'm sure someone here will know more, but if we're talking about the fabric itself, there's usually an overlap; Nihon Menpu make the flagship Sugar Cane fabrics, and make many (perhaps most) of the Buzz Rickson ones too. But my impression is that either brand is made in various factories.

My watchcap came in, part of their 2018 FW offerings.  It's a lot heavier than my regular Buzz cap and tighter on the head.  100% wool but not too itchy. Better weave also.  This will definitely be cold weather only watchcap for wear.  Kept my head nice and toasty this morning in the cold.  Now to add the pea coat to it.

IMG_4320.JPG

IMG_4321.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

I think I ordered the wrong size sweatshirt.  I went with a XL as in the past I had no luck with XL measurements when I was heavier (Had some bad luck with a XL in Dubbleworks)..  May have to exchange for XXL once it comes in.  Even History Preservation recommeded size Large but there's no way I would fit in that due to my broad shoulders.

47 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

I think I ordered the wrong size sweatshirt.  I went with a XL as in the past I had no luck with XL measurements when I was heavier (Had some bad luck with a XL in Dubbleworks)..  May have to exchange for XXL once it comes in.  Even History Preservation recommeded size Large but there's no way I would fit in that due to my broad shoulders.

I haven't noticed much shrinkage on mine and I've hot wash and dried it a few times. Hopeful it will fit once you have it. They are a great everyday sweatshirt during the winter and aren't too thick to the point of being impractical. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:02 PM, SmokeStackLightning said:

I haven't noticed much shrinkage on mine and I've hot wash and dried it a few times. Hopeful it will fit once you have it. They are a great everyday sweatshirt during the winter and aren't too thick to the point of being impractical. 

The XL came and it fits well.  The XXL would've been too big.  My only gripe is the sweatshirt has long arms as I'm short with short limbs.  

5 hours ago, mlwdp said:

The XL came and it fits well.  The XXL would've been too big.  My only gripe is the sweatshirt has long arms as I'm short with short limbs.  

To be honest I never measured mine before or after hot wash and drying. It snugged up for sure, may as well give it a shot it can only help. 

1 hour ago, SmokeStackLightning said:

To be honest I never measured mine before or after hot wash and drying. It snugged up for sure, may as well give it a shot it can only help. 

Wished they mentioned whether the sweatshirts were pre washed or not on History Preservation.

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking this jacket, not as long as an M65 and more shirt like. Question is would I wear it enough to justify the purchase. 

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hinoya/item/br12247n/

It's pretty bang on in regards to details for the first production era of the TCJ (even exact care labels) besides having a refined and shortened fit of course.

I agree with MJF9 here - I think it's really nice. 

It reminded me that 3sixten have done a couple of iterations of the BDU recently, with a modified take on this, but to be honest I think this is my preferance.

The cotton will age really nicely too, I'm very tempted by this as well. 

3 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

I agree with MJF9 here - I think it's really nice. 

It reminded me that 3sixten have done a couple of iterations of the BDU recently, with a modified take on this, but to be honest I think this is my preferance.

The cotton will age really nicely too, I'm very tempted by this as well. 

I just ordered the Buzz chambray from HPA.

White tee, chambray, this bad boy of a jacket with some faded jeans. Seem like a homerun in my eyes.

27 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

Agree 100% 

And comfortable too, sometimes that gets a little overlooked, this will look cool and be wearable every day. 

How did you size? According to the Hinoya measurements is fit a medium, but am very suspicious about this. 

I did not order yet as I am still deciding if I would wear it enough. Seems they are a bit oversized to better replicate the look and feel of the originals. 

I would go for an XL for more shoulder movement and sleeve length I think. 

The above has renewed by interest in the army tropical jacket (as Buzz call it).  I opted for an RMC M65 a few years back instead as a winter coat which has served me well.  RMC and Orslow did good looking versions of the tropical jacket but at top end prices compared to the Buzz.  IIRC the prices in about 2015 went up all of a sudden and then I noticed that there was a high street trend in the UK in army wear... maybe coincidence but I did wonder if there was some cashing in going on. 

Agree with the comments above... the white tee, chambray set up will serve this one well... it's back on the list for 2019... thanks!

I finally have a decent type 2, basically only good for spring/fall or summer nights outside here in PA. 

Wanting to get wear on the type 2 is what's holding me back on the TCJ. Like a type 2, the TCJ will only get better with heavy wear.

I would likely wear it early season waterfowl hunting instead of my old tree bark camo M65, which is purely a hunting jacket and never used casually. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just took a couple of pics of my Buzz workshirt with a new one and was about to post them but see you beat me to it. :) Nice work, MileHighEvertonian! I’ll wait a while to post mine. It’s my opinion that this workshirt is the best one out there.