Buzz Rickson

partytaco

On 12/09/2014 at 8:09 AM, itsbenhere said:

Buzz Rickson A-2 "rough wear" repro!

n8q8Rrc.jpg

Hey Ben, did you buy this or just try it on?

I'm thinking of getting a brown leather A2 myself. Think size 38 would be correct, but measurements at rakuten stores is all over the place. What height are you? As the length of that jacket looks perfect for you

Just tried it on, never was a huge A2 guy. As you can see the jacket was amazing though, and yes I agree the fit is perfect...

im 5’10” and pretty much a consistent medium. 40 in flat head and real McCoy’s leather jackets. At that point I was probably like 180 lbs but I have pretty big legs... overall I would get the same size you do in other buzz stuff. On the other hand, I do believe that their A2’s might actually fit decently differently depending on the model. 

While I didn’t get that leather jacket I do have another one coming in... :)

cool thanks. I'm same height so length would work for me. I'm like 40 lbs lighter though.

I don't have (or have never tried on) flat head or mccoys jackets. My high large leathers is size 38 and maybe slightly on small side, but obviously all brands size differently. I'll just go for the size 38. I plan to wear it with t-shirt or light shirts anyway. 

What leather jacket have you got coming in? Or is that a secret until it arrives ^_^

Hmm.... for you I would say definitely a 38 or 36. Depends on your shoulders and sleeves and the look you’re going for I think...

whats your flat head and sugar cane sizes?

The jacket is coming in tomorrow or the next day so I’ll just post about it then :)

Has the quality of the William Gibson MA-1 declined in recent iterations? I purchased one about five years ago, prior to the introduction of the slender cut, and I recall being very impressed with the heft and hardware of the jacket. I ended up selling that jacket awhile back only to now purchase it again, new. Maybe my memory is failing me, but this newer jacket, while still very nice, doesn't feel as heavy-duty or substantial as I recall. Has anyone observed something similar? I would be glad to hear that I've actually gone a bit mad.

13 hours ago, gumchum said:

Has the quality of the William Gibson MA-1 declined in recent iterations? I purchased one about five years ago, prior to the introduction of the slender cut, and I recall being very impressed with the heft and hardware of the jacket. I ended up selling that jacket awhile back only to now purchase it again, new. Maybe my memory is failing me, but this newer jacket, while still very nice, doesn't feel as heavy-duty or substantial as I recall. Has anyone observed something similar? I would be glad to hear that I've actually gone a bit mad.

We've been carrying various versions of this jacket at Self Edge for 10 or 11 years and they've been identical from season to season.  Keep in mind there are many versions of this jacket utilizing different weight and fiber materials, all made under the Buzz Rickson brand.

15 hours ago, gumchum said:

Maybe you're comparing the MA-1 and the L-2B?

http://www.selfedge.com/buzz-rickson?product_id=647

http://www.selfedge.com/buzz-rickson?product_id=1936

• 3 weeks later...

Got my A2. What a jacket! Top notch construction with a stunning lining. It is not too thick or heavy which is exactly what I wanted. Might be a tad on the small side, but I think it's good enough. 40 might have been slightly large.

I'll try take pictures on the weekend

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought some Gil Elvgren pinup artwork of his famous Pistol Packin Mama image on a Buzz tshirt.  I can see this tshirt being a conversation price once I wear it.

Bing Crosby also made a song about "her".

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Niro said:

Here is the A2 I bought.

IMG_20180604_115741.jpg

Bought in the UK or Japland?.....Either way, it must have cost you an arm and a leg! :) Nice jacket!

Thanks guys :)

@Naoto Ver.2 I ordered it from Japan. It did cost an arm and leg (about £1.1k) but I got lucky with customs, because i hardly paid anything. On the shipping form, either by luck or design from the rakuten shop, it seemed to have been missing the last digit.

1 hour ago, Niro said:

Thanks guys :)

@Naoto Ver.2 I ordered it from Japan. It did cost an arm and leg (about £1.1k) but I got lucky with customs, because i hardly paid anything. On the shipping form, either by luck or design from the rakuten shop, it seemed to have been missing the last digit.

any fit pic's? 

19 hours ago, chambo2008 said:

any fit pic's? 

Just took quick ones today, thrown over whatever I was wearing. Jacket length ends just past my belt line, which is perfect imo. In the pics it looks shorter than it is as I am wearing a longer t-shirt.

IMG_20180605_114404.jpg
IMG_20180605_115325.jpg
IMG_20180605_115638.jpg

Not sure really, but the art is apparently called '100 tigers'.

Some sort of homage to soldiers' custom A2 linings and popularity of aloha shirts. Buzz rickson's sister brand, Sam Surf, made replica aloha shirts of a shirt with this design from the early 1950s.

14 hours ago, Niro said:

Not sure really, but the art is apparently called '100 tigers'.

Some sort of homage to soldiers' custom A2 linings and popularity of aloha shirts. Buzz rickson's sister brand, Sam Surf, made replica aloha shirts of a shirt with this design from the early 1950s.

Yeah.....I remember those "Hyaku Tora (100 Tigers)" Hawaiian shirts.....though it may be a challenging to wear it here in London. :P

Edited by Naoto Ver.2

I love the old japanese woodblock prints of tigers. art is just amazing.

21 hours ago, Naoto Ver.2 said:

Yeah.....I remember those "Hyaku Tora (100 Tigers)" Hawaiian shirts.....though it may be a challenging to wear it here in London. :P

nah I think it would look awesome. Aloha shirts are in full fashion right now. Was out yesterday in London and saw so many aloha shirts being worn

Edited by Niro

1 hour ago, Niro said:

I love the old japanese woodblock prints of tigers. art is just amazing.

nah I think it would look awesome. Aloha shirts are in full fashion right now. Was out yesterday in London and saw so many aloha shirts being worn

Well, people may accept Hawaiian shirts here but when it comes to Toyo's (aka Buzz Rickson's) souvenir jackets, then it could be more difficult. :P Every time I wear my souvenir jackets and go to my local Waitrose, the security guard gives me kinda suspicious look which makes me feel uncomfortable. ;)

Anyway, I'd like to try Toyo's 100-Tiger shirt someday - perhaps I'll look for some secondhand shops in Tokyo next time I go back there.