Buzz Rickson

partytaco

Is Hinoya or Vintage Paradise's measurements more accurate for the BR25995 chambray? I'm concerned about the shoulders among other measurements of the shirt as most of Hinoya's measurements are 3-5cm difference from Vintage Paradise on the chambray.

@mlwdp I found that History Preservation's measurements are pretty accurate and consistent with how we measure stuff here. My experience with Rakuten measurements is that they sometimes mix measurements for different sizes up or different shops employ different measuring standards.

Edited by Outdoorsman

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2233.thumb.JPG.c9c04604c94a3067a56a4e2c6e7e1fb7.JPGI know this may seem insignificant but I just got my first Buzz piece, a watchcap.  Was for searching for a good quality, reasonably priced, cotton  watchcap and the Buzz Rickson version was what I wanted.  Could only find the wool version on Self Edge and Rakuten as the cotton version was sold out everywhere, especially in Black.  Found the cotton version on Donna1992, got it for $35 due to rakuten points.

The quality is top notch on the Rickson's and will replace the one on the left.  Rickson's is thicker and weaved tighter.  Also, the tag is obviously better than the one of the left-it's going to the closet for retirement for good. The second picture is the thickness and weave of the Buzz. Buzz is also heavier in weight.

IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to complete the watchcap with the BR26081 herringbone in black from Rakuten. Looking forward to the sizing of XL once I get in next week.  Had a choice between this and the chambray but using this as an incentive to sell my Momotaro MS033 shirt since it's too big.

Edited by mlwdp

• 2 weeks later...

So my BR26081 came in today.

im on the fence about keeping this as I swear it feels like the left arm width is wider than the right. This is an XL.

Thoughts on my sizing?

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

Edited by mlwdp

Nice shirt mate. The left arm does look a bit bigger - is it just the way it's folded? It's worth getting the tape measure out to get hard measurements to put your mind at ease otherwise it'll probably nag away. Would be worth seeing if any of the Sufu crew have had one of these too to check for shrinkage. It'll look good with the watchcap I reckon.

I agree, the sleeves look pretty baggy (and maybe too long). Given that HPA sells this exact shirt, is in the U.S., and has great customer service, why don't you just buy your Buzz stuff from them and save yourself the worry of things not fitting and being easily exchanged? Just curious.

Edited by MileHighEvertonian

2 hours ago, MileHighEvertonian said:

I agree, the sleeves look pretty baggy (and maybe too long). Given that HPA sells this exact shirt, is in the U.S., and has great customer service, why don't you just buy your Buzz stuff from them and save yourself the worry of things not fitting and being easily exchanged? Just curious.

I also noticed HPA sells revised version.  Have no idea if that means revised as far as size goes.

Being short and stocky with broad shoulders makes sizing in shirts difficult (either too long or too tight).  Granted, I mostly fit in 19-20cm shoulder shirts but the sleeves are always an issue.  Japanese shirts I always figured they would be one size smaller than listed.  Buying from Seabees was cheaper and used some Rakuten points but frankly every seller on Rakuten had different measurements.  

Shirt could double as a shirt jacket, but I don't think I like this shirt due to the size.

Might have to sell.  It's a size XL.

Joe McCoys do a hbt workshirt that might work - I have one - for a L / XL chest they are quite short in length and arms (but worth noting they are boxy). The dark blue ages nicely. Not sure if they are still about as mine is a few years old now.

54 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

@MileHighEvertonian @Iron Horse Just curious, is Buzz really American sizing?  I can understand if it is.  

Supposedly yes; I know my Sugarcane ecru chambray shirt I got in Medium was huge, and made me look like middle management with its tall collar and billowiness (had to sell it).

49 minutes ago, mlwdp said:

@MileHighEvertonian @Iron Horse Just curious, is Buzz really American sizing?  I can understand if it is.  

Maybe, maybe not, but it's been a long time since I've bought shirts I haven't had prior experience with on the basis of a L/XL tag. For example, I'm an XL in the buzz chambrays and probably an XL in most of their other shirts, but I'm an L in Gitman, and an L in JCrew and an XL in 3sixteen. 

On 2/14/2018 at 11:47 AM, erk said:

Maybe keep the shirt and get the sleeves shortened by a tailor? 

That was one option, however, do you think the shirt looks too long on me in length besides the sleeves?

Edited by mlwdp

@mlwdp I have had that exact shirt in two different sizes. A couple years ago I purchased it in a size L( you may see my post about it a few pages back), and it was never perfect. Chest, length, and shoulders were great. But the shirt had very little taper, and wasn't long enough to tuck in without popping out. This factor, combined with the sleeves being too baggy (which seems to be my main issue with sc/br/Toyo) I sold my size L. 

If I remember correctly, the shirt didn't shrink much and I machine dried it on low every time I washed  

About a month ago I bought a size M. I'd lost a few pounds since the other shirt so I decided to give it another go. Chest is doable, but it has that same lack of taper in the torso and is too short and boxy. Gonna have to let this one go as well. 

Regarding whether or not buzz sizing is kinda American; yes and no. The sleeves and body generally seem to be a fuller cut, but the length almost always disappoints, at least for me. I'm only 5'10"  

Boxy shirts with high gussets have become the bane of my existence; after so much trial and error(and $)I'm on the brink of buying strictly jcrew from here on. 

On 2/17/2018 at 9:13 AM, SuperJackle said:

Boxy shirts with high gussets have become the bane of my existence; after so much trial and error(and $)I'm on the brink of buying strictly jcrew from here on. 

Not to toot my own horn, but:

https://the-rite-stuff.com/products/heracles-chambray-work-shirt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally sized right on a chambray.  Went with Large and I'm glad I did.  The fit is perfect and the armholes fit fine.  I can now finally sell my huge Momotaro size 46 MS033.  Bought from Seabees on Rakuten.  

This detail on the inside of the collar is nice.

IMG_2664.JPG