Buzz Rickson

partytaco

guys, i tried on a vintage n1 from ww2 and the size 40 fit me perfectly.  does the buzz rickson version fit the same as the vintage n1 version?  or does the buzz version differ in size?  and size 40 would be a large, right?

Buzz makes two versions, the standard version, and the heavier Demotex version (the latter is closer to the originals in weight).  Both the Large (standard) and 40 (Demotex) look like they should be (according to HPA's measurements) very similar to a vintage size 40.  I'd contact HPA, describe how the vintage jacket fit you, give them your measurements, and go by their sizing advice.  Not sure how cold it gets in Toronto in the winter, but for winter weather I experience around the Great Lakes, I prefer the heavier model N-1.   

It is plenty warm enough for me, I have used it as my main winter jacket the past two years. Even in sub-zero temps, if I layer properly I am very comfortable. I don't wear it unless it is in the 30's or below because it can be too warm. 

Buzz makes two versions, the standard version, and the heavier Demotex version (the latter is closer to the originals in weight).  Both the Large (standard) and 40 (Demotex) look like they should be (according to HPA's measurements) very similar to a vintage size 40.  I'd contact HPA, describe how the vintage jacket fit you, give them your measurements, and go by their sizing advice.  Not sure how cold it gets in Toronto in the winter, but for winter weather I experience around the Great Lakes, I prefer the heavier model N-1.   

thanks for the advice!!!   trust me, it gets cold here in toronto.  let's also not forget the wind chill factor!!!! 

thanks for the advice!!!   trust me, it gets cold here in toronto.  let's also not forget the wind chill factor!!!! 

Then definitely get the heavier one (it's worth the extra $$$).  Of the two, it's better suited for subfreezing temps, and can be worn comfortably above freezing (up to 40 or 45) with lighter weight shirts like a cotton button down.  

i wear everything on a 34 what size should i take on the buzz 50's?

A 34, probably. Unlike the SC 1947, the waist isn't tapered. My BR jeans are notably looser.

I'm looking forward to buying a second pair this fall! I really, really love these jeans. I'll have to take better photos l later on because my iPhone doesn't do the color/texture justice.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have experience with WG x BR MA-1 Slender sizing? I'm 5'8 ~160. Debating between the 38R or 40R.

I would go with the 38, it's a slighter longer fit and I think the 40 would be too big on your considering your weight to height ratio.

Worst case scenario you can always exchange it because with this type of jacket you definitely need to try it on to figure out what works in terms of sizing.

• 3 weeks later...

One of our long time clients and friends in San Francisco has worn his Buzz Rickson USN chambrayfor 6 years, it looks unbelievable:

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone was wondering, single digits is when the Demotex N-1 gives out.  5F degrees today, and over a chambray shirt and acrylic and mohair sweater, I could feel the cold creeping in through the shell. I could put on a heavier sweater, but it seems like single digits is the point where the alpaca isn't going to keep warmth in better than it can keep the cold out.                 

Picked up a new Buzz blue, zip front deck jacket recently.  Had a size 48 from HPA for years, but it was huge on me.  Found a NWT size 44 on ebay, so bought it and sold off the old one.  The material (shell and lining) in the older one seemed slightly heavier, and the lining a tighter weave than in the new model.  Wearing one of these jacket again reaffirms my belief they're best suited to temps 40 degrees or warmer.  They, and other deck jackets lined with wool, can be worn below freezing, but you're going to need layers if you aren't engaged in a physical activity like hiking or shoveling snow.           

Edited by setterman

And there's the unfortunate truth about repro; newer technology was invented not only to mass produce/streamline, but because there were certain things to be improved upon. In this case, alpaca doesn't win out!

That said, I personally can't bring myself to buy Canada Goose, and have opted to wear layers and a shell (M-65 liner) underneath my normal N-1 to compromise. Give it another 20-30 years or so and we'll start repro-ing things like the level 7 Extreme Cold Weather System; Or we could just suck it up and buy modern! :D 

Thankfully single digits aren't too common, even here!

And it's not like we'll die of hypothermia in our vintage jackets at those temperatures, we're not as warm as we could be!  Couple years ago though during the polar vortex when it was well below zero, the combo was definitely down jacket with a down parka worn over it.     

I bought a pair of Buzz Rickson leather gloves (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/earthmarket/item/br02153/)

They are obviously well made, but I just don't think they are worth the money. If they used a better quality leather than goatskin then probably.

and off topic, but in the last few days i've seen a lot of people in London wearing Canada Goose jackets. Must have been a big sale or something