ATX! meetup?

thedaniway

bummed i didn't check this thread earlier, oh well. i agree w pretty much everything herps said; kome and tatsuya are both great, uchi definitely has that cwg vibe tho. as previously mentioned, east side king is also worth a look. not much to say about the food trucks--most are acceptable when i'm drunk and stumbling away from a show. and as far as the retail scene goes, i don't even bother shopping for clothing in texas.

anyone coming out to see christian bland & the revelators + holy wave for free at the north door tonite?

Uchi/Uchiko are way better than Kome. Not saying they are more "authentic" japanese food, but I've eaten at uchiko a lot and it's some of the most consistently great food I've eaten anywhere. If you're getting a bunch of rolls and shit, you're doing it wrong.

I still like Kome, but the fish is hit or miss, as are many of the other dishes.

Rice at all of these places is the least consistent part...but none of them are really serious sushi joints, so hard to expect much more.

Herpsky, next time you're in town, go to uchiko and just order off of the specials menu, whatever mackerel they have on the sushi menu, and a Tobacco Cream for dessert. 

rollin thru again on Monday. Is hopdoddy actually worth visiting? 

The general demographic of the people I've seen in line kinda overlaps to those in line for Ippudo in NYC aka cwg tourists

gonna swing by service and Brew&Brew.

Hopdoddy sucks. Go get a burger at the bar at Lamberts or at Drink.Well (also has incredible cocktails...my favorite bar in town). For coffee go to Houndstooth. For beer, Draughthouse...not that there's any lack of good beer bars around here.

Oh word. Maybe I'll stop by Tatsuya this time. I haven't really found oh-shit-this-is-good food in Austin.

Tatsuya is pretty good if you're into tonkotsu. The hot miso version is good. The tsukemen is the best, though.

Go to Veracruz All Natural on East Caesar Chavez and get a migas taco and whatever else sounds good for some oh-shit-this-is-good action. I know...breakfast tacos...but trust me. The tortas are fucking bonkers there, too.

Had a good meal at Odd Duck recently, too.

Qui was good, not incredible. Want to go back though. Worth checking out.

If you're going to go to an East Side King truck, my recommendation is the one at The Grackle.

I feel like Kome is getting better, stopped by for lunch last week and really enjoyed it.

The owner is really cool too, if you're sitting at the bar and he's there he'll usually give you a few things to try for free.

Been meaning to check out Qui for awhile since my buddy works there.

Paul comes into our store every couple weeks and is a pretty low key guy.

I feel like Kome is getting better, stopped by for lunch last week and really enjoyed it.

The owner is really cool too, if you're sitting at the bar and he's there he'll usually give you a few things to try for free.

Been meaning to check out Qui for awhile since my buddy works there.

Paul comes into our store every couple weeks and is a pretty low key guy.

Yeah, meant no disrespect to Kome. I like it a lot as a restaurant and go there pretty frequently. Just doesn't compete with Uchi from an ingredient/attention to preparation standpoint. 

But they also have french fries on their menu, so it's not like they are trying to fill the same space. Glad to have both of them in town.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

for real though, i understand we all are busy but i think it could be interesting to do a real atx meetup. herps and i had a decent time witnessing some weird stuff happen at spider house / discussing streetwear

pretty sure his last words to me were "keep it real, cop jawns"

Edited by insted

So guys, I dropped off a bunch of my jeans to get hemmed by Richard at Paleo Denim and he was wondering if some sufu guys wanted to meet up at the workshop and drink lots of beer, shoot the shit, etc.

Any interest? We can get something organized.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm down for something whenever.

Hadn't heard about Paleo at all before now. In need of a new pair of jeans soon, so I'm glad you brought it up.

Herpsky, why you been around Austin lately?

Edited by youkinorn2

when or why? i won't be back in the area until late june. i'll be around after that.

Edited by herpsky