Boots/shoes-Sizing advice

k4727

looks like most folks in this thread are getting the same size Alden Barrie as their Clarks and Chucks size.

I have wide feet and a 8 on the brannock device; do you guys think I can do size 8 Barrie also for a Alden Chukka?

Chucks: 8

Clarks DBs: 8

Red Wing GT: 7.5

Wolverine 1k: 8

• 1 month later...

Brannock: 7D, though because my big toe points almost straight forward I have never fit into a D width in anything.

Alden Trubalance (Indy shoe): 6.5E, almost perfect except that the heel could be a bit narrower.

Munson last 7EE (LL bean Katahdin Ironworker): Bit roomy, requiring an insole, but with an insole a good fit. Pity they don't make a Munson 7E.

White's Bounty Hunters: 7E, best fit in any shoes I own, though I wonder if I might be able to go a touch longer and a tad narrower. I didn't do custom measure on these.

Dress shoes, brand unknown: 7E, good fit

European style hiking boots, brand unknown: 8D, require insole for a decent fit.

Virtually all sneakers: 8.

My input and one question

I wanted to order some Indy boots and I don't have a retailers nearby to try them out. I understand Indy boots run larger in width and length, but I am trying to get an idea of how much wider they are compared to Red Wing Classic Moc Toe Boots. My foot width is slightly bigger than D. In width E RWs, I can wear 8.5 and the length is just right and width is just right or a tad bit touchy. The size 9 length feels a bit long and width is just perfect. Would I be better off going for 9D or 9E in the Indy boots?

Clarks - 9.5D (A tad bit too long, width is fine)

Mark McNairy - 9.5D (A tad bit too long, width is fine)

Red Wing 8.5E and 9E (see explanation above)

CP and Lanvin - 9 or 42

Quoddy Grizzly boot - 9.5

Yeah I was leaning towards E initially until someone mentioned that the Alden D is already wider than normal D making it more like an E. If the D on the Indy is bigger than RW then I it will be D, if not then E for sure.

^Lengthwise fre$co do you find the Indys run just as large or even larger than RWs. Sorry, I only have a RW outlet nearby to try out some American made boots. Thanks for the input thus far

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking to purchase Whites Semi dress, but need help with sizing.

I wear a 7.5 B/D in Alden's modifieid last - fits like a glove and 7D in RW GT's these are alright but a little tight in the toe box.

any advice?

thanks

have white's send you a catalog. inside the catalog is a foot tracing kit. fill that out as indicated and send it in. they'll tell you your size.

Ok this is sort of a sizing query for White's custom boots. Looking at getting a Bounty Hunter or Smoke Jumper make up through Bakers. Asked them loads of questions so farbut I need a bit of insight on this one.

Given the arched inner/shoe bed (?), how much do you feel it on the sole of your foot when walking in the shoes? The reason I ask is that a few years ago I knackered my leg playing football and I have a tender muscle bulge in the arch of my left foot. Dont feel it unless theres some pressure on that spot. None of my shoes affect that area but Whites are a bit different I think.

Its a slightly unusal query but any help much appreciated..

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Alden 405s from J Crew, since I have a little store credit to spend. I'm not sure if they'll be in store to try on, so can you guys help with sizing advice?

I've read through the thread, and I'm torn between 8.5D and 9D.

9 in Clarks desert boots

9in Frye chukkas.

The kicker is, I don't think the J Crew 405s come in half sizes. Appreciate the help.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Alden 405s from J Crew, since I have a little store credit to spend. I'm not sure if they'll be in store to try on, so can you guys help with sizing advice?

I've read through the thread, and I'm torn between 8.5D and 9D.

9 in Clarks desert boots

9in Frye chukkas.

The kicker is, I don't think the J Crew 405s come in half sizes. Appreciate the help.

You should go with 9D

Ok this is sort of a sizing query for White's custom boots. Looking at getting a Bounty Hunter or Smoke Jumper make up through Bakers. Asked them loads of questions so farbut I need a bit of insight on this one.

Given the arched inner/shoe bed (?), how much do you feel it on the sole of your foot when walking in the shoes? The reason I ask is that a few years ago I knackered my leg playing football and I have a tender muscle bulge in the arch of my left foot. Dont feel it unless theres some pressure on that spot. None of my shoes affect that area but Whites are a bit different I think.

Its a slightly unusal query but any help much appreciated..

You can have the heel lowered so they fit like other boots.

I need some advice on MF Road Champ sizing. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair. I wear an 11D in nearly everything Alden Indy, White's SD Wolverine 1000. I'm thinking an 11 in the RC would work but I've heard they run really big so maybe a 10.5. What do you guys think?

I need some advice on MF Road Champ sizing. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a pair. I wear an 11D in nearly everything Alden Indy, White's SD Wolverine 1000. I'm thinking an 11 in the RC would work but I've heard they run really big so maybe a 10.5. What do you guys think?

How tight is the fit for you in the White's and others? I ask because I can fit comfortably in both an 8 and 8.5 in White's, but the 8 is obviously a little tighter. And I love the 8 in the Road Champs.

And do you have another pair of engineer boots that fit you well that you can measure? If you do, you can measure them from heel to toe and then have someone at MF compare the length and width for you. Just make sure you measure the length with the boot against the wall.

You can have the heel lowered so they fit like other boots.

This is true.

When I initially customized my Bounty Hunters through Bakers I asked for the heel to be lower a quarter inch. However, after trying on a pair of Smoke Jumpers, I found that I liked the arch from the get-go. I ended up not getting it lowered.

It's all personal preference. Many people think it's very uncomfortable in the beginning... I did not. Big Truck, since you admitted that you've had issues with your feet, I'd attempt to try on a pair first. The service at Bakers is top notch... when I had sizing issues, they willingly sent me a pair to try on to get everything correct. Maybe you could work something out like this as well.

This is true.

When I initially customized my Bounty Hunters through Bakers I asked for the heel to be lower a quarter inch. However, after trying on a pair of Smoke Jumpers, I found that I liked the arch from the get-go. I ended up not getting it lowered.

It's all personal preference. Many people think it's very uncomfortable in the beginning... I did not. Big Truck, since you admitted that you've had issues with your feet, I'd attempt to try on a pair first. The service at Bakers is top notch... when I had sizing issues, they willingly sent me a pair to try on to get everything correct. Maybe you could work something out like this as well.

Wow. That's something else…

Like you I wear the same size in many other shoes and boots...8D. I went with a 7 1/2 in MF Road Champ's and they fit like any other 8D I have.