Boots/shoes-Sizing advice

k4727

I need some road champ sizing advice if possible - i'm a uk 10 all day long.. when buying us sizes i always go for an 11 and its always worked out.

quoddy - us 11

yuketen - us 11

william lennon - uk 10

spring courts - eu 45

I'm not sure whether to go for the road champs in a size 11 or size down for the 10.5. i've also seen advice to size up to a 12 so i'm a little confused. my instincts tell me to go with the 11.. worth mentioning that this is my first pair of engineers.

I'd hate to have them acceptably uncomfortable and so pass the point of return and have uncomfortable feet for how ever many years these bastards have got to a last so i don't feel bad about spending $1000 on them.

Edited by kimi

I need some road champ sizing advice if possible - i'm a uk 10 all day long.. when buying us sizes i always go for an 11 and its always worked out.

quoddy - us 11

yuketen - us 11

william lennon - uk 10

spring courts - eu 45

I'm not sure whether to go for the road champs in a size 11 or size down for the 10.5. i've also seen advice to size up to a 12 so i'm a little confused. my instincts tell me to go with the 11.. worth mentioning that this is my first pair of engineers.

I'd hate to have them acceptably uncomfortable and so pass the point of return and have uncomfortable feet for how ever many years these bastards have got to a last so i don't feel bad about spending $1000 on them.

Not sure if I can help much, but I'll try.

I've got the Quoddys in 10 and the RRL engineers in 11, but they're little bit too big.

I heard that the Road Champs fit a bit larger than the RRLs, so for me 10 or 10.5 would be the right size, I think.

And since you seem to wear one size larger than me I'd say 11 or 11.5. Probably 11.5 would be your best bet if you can't try them on. If they're a bit too large you could add an insole.

• 2 weeks later...

alden trubalance 9e/9.5d (leather soul #8 jumper/shoemart cigar indy)

vintage florsheim imperials 10d (these fit a little long)

dayton roughout boots 8.5 (these fit snug)

quoddy grizzly boots 9.5d (slightly snug)

adidas 10

vans 10

white's semidress ?

the trubalance 9e fits the best of all my shoes, while the 9.5d trubalance also fits very comfortably. the internal length measurement on both of these is 10 7/8 to 11 inches.

according to the measurements given by whitesriver on eBay, a size 9 on the sd last measures 10 3/4 and a 9.5 measures 10 7/8 inches. i am apprehensive about going with 9.5 and having them fit big for some reason...

i did the foot trace and took some measurements, but i don't know how that corresponds to white's sizing, and the tracing is slightly larger than the size of my foot.

Edited by PeterParker

in my calf indy boot i wear a 9.5d and a 9 in semi dress standard last. i wear a 10 in vans authentic. i sent baker's a foot tracing and they worked it all out because i got a little nervous. Quack_Attack will definitely be the guy to talk to about this...

in my calf indy boot i wear a 9.5d and a 9 in semi dress standard last. i wear a 10 in vans authentic. i sent baker's a foot tracing and they worked it all out because i got a little nervous. Quack_Attack will definitely be the guy to talk to about this...

Im a bit nervous about this at the moment, seeing as I just dropped $400+ for my smokejumper on BH last. Im a 10.5D in Red Wing 3141 work chukka, and a 10.5D in just about everything else. I measured, and Kyle said a 10D in the BH last is the size I should get. I trust him, but fuck, I have a little voice in the back of my head that wont shut up until I try them on, which will be a long as fuck 8 weeks....

But to add to this thread something of value, anyone considering Danner Mountain Lights (mostly the Stumptown series) be warned. They are only offered in EE width, and if you are a D width, you will be swimming in them. Danner gave me a lame excuse as to why they only offer them in EE width. They said that the demographic that buys the boots do not care about fit. That is what they said to me. Regardless of fashion, be aware that there is no excuse for ill fitting footwear. They recommend sizing down half a size to "compensate" for the EE width, but the last they are built on gets pretty narrow at the toe box, so that might not be a reasonable solution. It wasnt for me, so I ended up with a true to size D width Danner and it fits much better, but not perfect.

i know what you're feeling. http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=pages.view&page_id=23 check this out, call em, try em on and order that way. i trusted kyle and it worked like a charm. he knows what he's doing.

Hi all,

I am new in this forum and really really need your advice

I want to ask related the Red Wing Postman Oxford 101 model. I am interested on purchasing the model online, and I want to ask the appropriate size for me. Normally I wear sz US10 sneakers (for vans/nike/adidas) and US 9.5 for Clarks Desser Boot, and I dont have a red wing in my collection could you confirm what size for the 101. I read an online review (from Nordstorm site) that the 101 model might fit the same sz as Vans sneaker, but I am not so sure. The safe option is to purchase sz US 9.5.

A friend of mine adviced that Red Wing Boots sz is the same as vans/nike or down 0.5 size and the rw oxford moc toe is down 1 sz, but I dont know whether the moc toe has the same fot as the postman.

The safe size I think would be US 9.5

Could help me out with this?

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you danisisdead for your advice..

Just to confirm agian, does anybody here have the postman oxford version, danisisdead adviced on the postman chukka version, should this model have the same fitting as the oxford model? I am using sz US10 for NIke/Vans, and is pllanning to purchase the Red Wing 101 Postman Oxford model online, and need advice on sizing.

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you danisisdead for your advice..

Just to confirm agian, does anybody here have the postman oxford version, danisisdead adviced on the postman chukka version, should this model have the same fitting as the oxford model? I am using sz US10 for NIke/Vans, and is pllanning to purchase the Red Wing 101 Postman Oxford model online, and need advice on sizing.

Thank you

Take this for what its worth. The Red Wings that I have (3141) are built on the same last as the 101. I wear a 10.5D in them. I also wear a 10.5D in Nike Free, and just about every other shoe on the face of this earth. my right foot is just short of 28 cm. A smaller shoe size would not fit me. Therefore, I would recommend the same size as you normally wear, but thats just my opinion based on my experience. Best bet is to order two sizes and keep the best fitting.

Hi Gnomes,

Thank you for your advice.. So I am now still confused haha, since danis adviced me on 9.5 and you adviced on 10. The problem is I live in Indonesia, and I dont think I could make a return for the shoes if I want to order both size

Are there are no Red Wing Postman Oxford 101 owner here that could help me? :)

Here's my sizing:

Nike - US12

Visvim Kiefer - US11 (tight)

Visvim Skagway - US12 (a bit big)

Visvim 09AW Hockney (Pastel) - US11 ( a bit big)

Visvim Bear Foot FBT Folk - US12

I have two questions:

1. how do you guys determine whether it is a C or a D type for the shoes? (I am not familiar with the sizing :S)

2. I am planning to get a pair of Cole Haan LunarGrand Wing Tip Suede..do I need to size up/down or fit true to size?

cole_haan_nike_lunargrand.jpg

1130274641-ac-3709xf1x0600x0420-m.jpg

thank you very much. cheers :)

I want to buy a pair of Alden unlined suede chukka boots (Laydon last):

Red Wing 200 series Moc 213 Oxblood Boots: size US 7.5

Common Projects Postal Boot: size 40

Buzz Rickson M-43 Service Shoes: size US 7.5

These all fit very nicely, can anyone suggest a suitable size?

Edited by shanks59

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of Quoddy's suede bluchers and I'm curious for any sizing information I can receive. For reference, the various sizes I wear are as follows:

Alden trubalance last - 10D

Alden aberdeen and leydon lasts - 10.5D

Oak Street Bootmakers - 9.5D

Allen Edmonds (I think) 7-97 last - 11C (I imagine I could wear a 10.5D however)

• 3 weeks later...

no one experience in Julian sizing?

Has anyone got any experience with the Julian boots fit yet?

I've recently had a chance to try the MF Road Champs. I find them quite different from RRL Engineer boots. First they fit much larger. In the RRLs I wear 11 (10.5) would be perfect. In the RCs the 9.5 was too tight but the 10 fit pretty well, albeit a bit roomy.

This difference might also be due to the different leather. While the RRLs, especially the brown ones, are very stiff, the RCs are very soft and comfortable.

So, it doesn't seem like Julian uses the same size system for all his boots.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have CP achilles mids, can you tell me if my sizing is right? I tried on a 40 and noticed that the space between my toe and the front of the shoe is about half a thumb. There was a lot of room. Should I go down to 39? Im a 7-7.5 in most shoes so I assume 39 would be good?

I've been thinking of picking up a pair of Quoddy's suede bluchers and I'm curious for any sizing information I can receive. For reference, the various sizes I wear are as follows:

Alden trubalance last - 10D

Alden aberdeen and leydon lasts - 10.5D

Oak Street Bootmakers - 9.5D

Allen Edmonds (I think) 7-97 last - 11C (I imagine I could wear a 10.5D however)

I would say if your gonna wear them with no socks or thin socks get 9.5.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Just hoping someone can help.

I have Alden Indys in 9 EE.

I generally wear 9.5 EE in boots.

I want to buy a boot, but they only come in D. What would be the translation from 9.5 EE to D? I have found something that says around a 12 D is equal width to a 9.5 EE. Would that be right? Big difference there.

Hope someone can help.

i measured my feet using the brannock-esque printout from the rancourt site and it says that i wear a 9d and a 10c. i sent a foot tracing to kyle at bakers a while back and he put me into the 9d for both feet on the semi dress last. my question is, even though they are different companies, could i just be messing up? it seems a little drastic to be one full size different and a width different in rancourt when both of my whites are the same.