Japan mobster jackets.

spidereye

Sukajan Jacket

Untitled-8.jpg

sukajan.jpg

sukajan3.jpgsukajan4.jpgsukajan5.jpg

Here goes nothing...this threads is all about Japan satin jackets, its must be annoying for alot of people,embroidery, dragon.caps,tiger,eagle, etc image and the meterial is silky and shining .but look at another point of views..its all about .art of oriental flavor.This shit is far more most wanted in Japan. a must have jackets.for bikers,gangsters,mobster,thug..and verry down to earth for street fashion enthusiast..forgive me..my English is horrible ,willing to learn .Some off Japan big brand such like SDA,TFH,Evisu,Tedman, etc..does carry this jackets line up .

For somebody who might have the same interest.plsz share your knowledge or collection.

p/s not everybody have guts to wear it.

Edited by spidereye

From what I know, they're actually called "sukajan," an abbreviation of yokosuka jumper.

The origin of the name stems from American soldiers embroidering oriental images (tigers, dragons, etc.) on their jackets as a souvenir for their establishment of the Naval base after WWII, in Yokosuka Japan.

bit too gaudy for me but i guess there are those who can pull them off.

I don't understand why you call these "mobster jackets", although they can be worn by gangsters as well as non-gangster members of the population.

Like clover stated above, these jackets originated from WWII. The original fabric was thought to be parachute fabric which evolved to polyester or silk. The soldiers actually wanted a jacket that represented Japan and the US. (usually a military motto or the name of their regiment) The dragons and phoenixes were actually inspired from Chinese silk pillows, since Japan did not have any references for the "Asian" looking designs that the soldiers wanted. The eagle usually represents the US.

The majority of the modern jackets are made from polyester or velveteen. The rib is made from wool or cotton. The pricier ones are still hand-machine embroidered and are sometimes quilted. There is a large collection of vintage ones in an issue of My Freedam and I have posted some scans from a Lightning special somewhere buried deep in the flight jacket thread.

If I ever actually attended a Hanshin Tigers game, I would definitely be comfortable in that. I would just need to be able to actually relate when people wondered what the hell it is. That particular one is kind of loud though, on game day I'd opt for something more understated from the jacket carnie lol.

Thanks for posting..really good information.i m not expecting much for opening this threads.My main purpose is to share and forward this nice jackets for street fashion lover.

I just knowing about the wwII stuff,cool this is what im looking for.

Thanks clover.

Tigerprawn can wait to see yours.go get em tiger.

[/]So what the best Title for this threads coleslawyum.we can fix it.Thanks for the info and links.

Mikecch, nice collection.those are expensive..cant rep.

Some example pic .

satin.jpg

64377_119240194801442_100001463876917_133369_5247278_n.jpg

ti.jpg

Everybody who have the same interest plsz share some information.

I don't understand why you call these "mobster jackets", although they can be worn by gangsters as well as non-gangster members of the population.

Like clover stated above, these jackets originated from WWII. The original fabric was thought to be parachute fabric which evolved to polyester or silk. The soldiers actually wanted a jacket that represented Japan and the US. (usually a military motto or the name of their regiment) The dragons and phoenixes were actually inspired from Chinese silk pillows, since Japan did not have any references for the "Asian" looking designs that the soldiers wanted. The eagle usually represents the US.

The majority of the modern jackets are made from polyester or velveteen. The rib is made from wool or cotton. The pricier ones are still hand-machine embroidered and are sometimes quilted. There is a large collection of vintage ones in an issue of My Freedam and I have posted some scans from a Lightning special somewhere buried deep in the flight jacket thread.

Starting to love Flight jackets.Looking for A-2.

• 1 year later...

Sorry just discover your new old post .Nice one,,i always want to have the black arm stripe.

Old pic from last year.

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

Edited by spidereye

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I can't tell you how many of these I use to see at the salvation army back in the day.  Maybe it was the SAC base being local, but the vintage ones were pretty easy to find and cheap.  Not anymore though.

Tahnks Foxy..this is just a cheaper version of sukajan jacket China made if I not mistaken ,old pic  of me.

Davil...This jacket are fashionable in the 60s-70s in the  states, but not much love nowadays...Lol at my place vintage item are pricy .

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bump this thread already rusted

Some new interest in fashion with sukajan motive and flavor

Dope

Pic courtesy of Buzz Rickson 

br13578-2.jpg

Edited by spidereye
Na