usa :: new orleans :: general

White Teeth

No I didn't live in NO. I copy and pasted the first half of the list (with the numbers) from someone who did though.

I went to Bullet's bar on my very first night in NO, fresh off the plane and playing tag along with someone at my hostel who had a tip on where to see Kermit play. I actually didn't know it was in the 7th ward until you mentioned it just now. When I walked into the bar it was popping but everyone starred at me like "who are you?", but I found everyone to be friendly as fuck and I got a ride back from two old ladies.

Also, this dude was there:

190892-five-guys-named-moe-udderbelly-mcewan-hall-410x230.jpg

But if you really don't fit in..................

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yeah you're definitely right on about that -- every day in the paper there was a sidebar dedicated to the latest homicides in Mid City and the wards

One day I saw an article on how a dude raped his double amputee grandmother, but that's a bit off topic

For some reason I didn't see any homeless panhandlers, homeless tent cities, or mentally ill folks... why is that? I rode the street cars, rode buses a couple times... all I saw was the occasional wheelchair

I thought about it cause as soon as I got back to Seattle and on the transit rail I saw a security guard hassling a dude that was talking to himself -- but saw none of that in NO.

Is New Orleans hiding them? (10)

• 1 month later...

In Nola for 2 nights. It is a Tuesday night and Kermit at bullets sound cool but not sure if I want venture out far. Staying in generic Marriott in the quarter but will probably hang at mimis in marigny for a bit tonight. Any cool recommendations for tues and wed nights?

In the French Quarter...Frenchman Street (dba, spotted cat, etc), otherwise the place to go on a Tuesday would be the Maple Leaf Bar to see Rebirth Brass Band..but that's not in Frenchman.

I think Bona Drag also posted a bar and performance guide up there. There are also listings in the daily: http://www.nola.com/entertainment/

^^

dude beat me 2 it

i actually think kermit might be out of town this week

rebirth @ maple leaf tonight is well worth the trip

10 pm (although they pretty much always go on late)

you can take the streetcar up, although it will take a while

get off @ oak st

if you dont feel like riding it back downtown, call a cab (united is the only company worth calling uptown; hotel will prob have their #)

best bet on wed is prob irvin mayfield @ the royal sonesta

a little more formal/touristy, plus really pricey drinks, but dude puts on a hell of a show

Ayo Bona -

I'm going to NO w/ my wife and another couple in a few months when it cools off. We don't want to just stay on Bourbon St and would prefer to check out good live music, and eat some quality food (doesn't really need to be Commanders or anything ballin like that, just good eats).

From what it sounds, you need to head deep out of the French Qtr to hear real shit. Is it all good for 2 white girls to make those kinda treks are we just begging to get fucked with? Anything that's a can't miss, or does it all depend on the night?

Are there any must try restaurants outside of the FQtr and Garden District?

lol

nah bro strictly trill ent from now on

im actually moving to baton rouge in early aug (for school), but will keep up with this thread

also fyi for the ppl who came thru the past couple months: i didnt offer to meet up cause id rather remain anonymous for now, so nothin personal

anyway, pav -

you dont need to head deep out of the fq for music - frenchman street begins pretty much right at the end of decatur, def a safe walk

also the jazz playhouse at the royal sonesta on bourbon is prob the best club in the city in terms of big name acts

the only gigs i would recommend traveling for are rebirth at the maple leaf on tues (best brass show in town) or kermit ruffins at vaughns on thurs

as discussed, kermit also plays at (the aptly named) bullets most tues, but thats a fucked up neighborhood

you're probably fine taking a cab there and back, but if probably isn't good enough than skip it

same with food, really - yeah there are some cool out of the way spots uptown and in midcity, but nowhere that's really a must

there are a bunch of good spots near the maple leaf, so if you're there on a tues to see rebirth you can make a night of it

off the top of my head, some relatively cheap spots/good deals in the quarter are coop's (wait is insane during normal lunch/dinner hrs tho), k-paul's for lunch only (dinner is great but $$$$), verdi marte for po boys (although you have to find somewhere else to eat them), mr b's, stanley, and royal house (way underrated ime)

couple reminders from pg 1

also, re bourbon, yes its corny but its also fun as fuck

do at least one night there; drink big fruity drinks in weird cups, hit on bachelorette parties in clubs, pump your fist, rock some beads, etc

standard nola dining disclaimers:

you will encounter slow/incompetent/terrible service down here, no matter how much you are paying for your meal

just the way it goes, have another drink and chill out

also unless youre getting gravy on it always get your po boy dressed: lettuce, tomato, pickles and mayo

if you dont like mayo dont get a po boy

also, a lot of places are just mad inconsistent - just cause i or someone i know or some dude on yelp had a good meal/experience somewhere doesnt mean you'll find the same

sucks but you just gotta roll with it, i think thats kind of what happens in a tourist town

• 2 months later...

some places i haven't seen that need a shout

jacques-imo's and crabby jack's - owned by the same dude, jacques is for dinner, jack's is for lunch

dante's kitchen, likewise for dinner

those are both way uptown, carrollton area

domilise's supposedly has the best po-boys in the city, but i dunno. port of call has pretty good burgers and insta-hangover drinks.

cosign on mimi's, luhh dat place. don't try to go drinking uptown. unless you're hunting for cwgs.

• 4 weeks later...

also yes to everything denton said, was waiting for dude to post in here

(altho crabby jacks is sort of hard to get to for tourists)

i think jacque-imos did get mentioned last page, well worth a visit but the wait can get completely out of hand sometimes so it helps to have a backup plan

also 1 other uptown place i forgot - right around dante's etc - is saltwater grill

worst lost location ever - in a strip mall next to like a supercuts - but interior is nice and that have really good food & decent prices

• 1 month later...

Best Places to Eat

R & O's

Spudleys

Liuzas

National Deli

Ralph and Cackoos

Coffees Broiling Pot

Morton's

The Seafood Gallery

I'm having trouble thinking of more off the top of my head. I lived in New Orleans for several years and was born there. I go back a few times a year.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'll be in New Orleans for a weekend in September for the first time. So far I'd like to make a reservation at Cochon, go to Mahoneys for po boys and McHardys for fried chicken. Any other food recs are greatly appreciated.

Also curious if majority of bars in the French quarter are touristy or if there are any places locals frequent in that area. I'll definitely check the live music venues but any dive type recs in around that cluster of the French quarter, treme, cbd area would really help. Not familiar at all with the neighborhoods so pardon my clustering of those as I'm only using a map as a reference.

frenchmen st is good for bars and live music. most places in the quarter are od touristy, especially on bourbon itself (duh)

cbd has some ok places. they're a bit "young professional" oriented sometimes ie. cheeseball or bro-y. mid city is more of a locals type area

Thank you Denton.

I probably won't be going anywhere in the cbd upon further reading of some things and your post. I did however come across a few places uptown or near the Carrollton that seemed cool. Do you think it's worth a cab ride from the French quarter area to there to hit up just one or two places? Also is it common to bar crawl in this uptown/Carrollton area? I assume its mostly a college bar type area due to how close it is to Tulane?

A few bars in the marginy area seem like good options as it is the next neighborhood over from where I'll be staying.

Any input on what i mentioned or even not related would be helpful

depends on the places you're thinking of going to uptown. snake n jakes is the only interesting one that comes to mind. it's very much a college area and in september it'll be full of 17 and 18 year olds who don't know how to drink. I recommend the marigny