Pure Blue Japan

midnight

Thanks again for your input, Foxy2. The texture, dye and type of jacket have my name written all over it but the fit?? I've even thought of having a seamstress or tailor rip the sleeves from shoulder to cuff and add a gusset or a pleat, but even if feasible, it would likely look horrible. If I could return it for a refund I wouldn't hesitate but this much money wrapped up in a jacket that sits in the closet, is uncomfortable to wear or is credit sitting at Okayama Denim is stupid. I know I know, get over it so I will, back on the hunt.

Edited by lance

I'm about 6'3" 205 lbs and normally wear Iron Heart shirts in size XXL and some in XXXL.  I have two PBJ shirts in size 5 and one in size 6.  The size 6 shirt is a little big.  I think I need a 5.5.  I feel their size grading from 5 to 6 jumps too much.

I tried on the PBJ 6077 Hand Dyed Natural Indigo Jacket in size 5 at BIG last week.  I was wearing a t-shirt and a button up Iron Heart chambray shirt under the jacket and felt the fit was good.  I then tried on the 6066 deep indigo jacket in size 6 and that jacket was too big.  The shoulders looked really wide.  I hope this helps.

that's what I was referring to when mentioning regular size grading - often brands do a very detailed and sophisticated grading of their core sizes, but then try to cover double size jumps in the bigger sizes.
I wouldn't be surprised if a size 5  or 6 in these jackets is a different fitting jacket...

Edited by Foxy2

^^ ^ Thanks for the input, Foxy2 and gazeboarder, now I’m back at it again. Some of the photos and fit pics look reasonable, some look tight. gazeboarder, your input is very helpful as it is my first XL/XXL, real life info. Merv from Okayama Denim has been helpful and patient throughout my waffling, I highly recommend him!

Edited by lance

Based on what I've seen around it looks like Self Edge is starting to sell PBJ now, interesting development.
I should've gotten a pair of those 1139 chinos, just worried they were a bit too tapered for my liking.

24 minutes ago, chicote said:

Weird, last i heard a bunch of US retailers were jumping ship on PBJ in response to their price increase ...

You heard correct.

But we ain't scared.

• 2 weeks later...

Pure Blue Japan Ai dyed Double Natural Indigo 17 1/2 oz Type 2 Jacket

IMG_0467.thumb.JPG.36208278d032f79591cf1607b8dd6966.JPG    

IMG_0468.thumb.JPG.4f56a394b0bf9022cfa6e077e5bf677f.JPG

IMG_0465.thumb.JPG.bd76bc087ca5bbd32846f6c522fc61aa.JPG

IMG_0475.thumb.JPG.63370282b39d899a659ab7a00e3321e2.JPG   IMG_0501.thumb.JPG.e2c24ad5c5dfd5b375253ff92a2a4fda.JPG

Took some pondering but in the end there was no way I could pass it up. It's difficult to capture the depth of the indigo dye as the denim has a sheen which seems to reflect the light. Foxy2 and gazeboarder, you were both right and thanks for your help. Foxy2, it does look like they jump an extra size with the larger sizes ( size 6, XXXL). The dimensions are generous (even the sleeves, not tight at all) making the fit oversized, just the way I like to wear a jacket. The 17 1/2 oz denim is beautifully dyed and very stiff. It will likely take a while (read years) to break in. Very pleased with the fit, denim, dye and details. Purchased the jacket from Okayama Denim; Merv was exceptionally patient and helpful. EDIT  Thought I'd add a shot of the denim texture, PBJ buttons and logo; closer to the actual color which has a purple hue. And, a second shot of the texture.

Edited by lance

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some shots of my 10 year old Pure Blue Japan XX-005's. These have been repaired by Pey (@sashikodenim on Instagram). The high quality photos were taken by my friend, Victor (@Selvedge1), but the rest with my iPhone. I hope you enjoy them. The whole album is here including "before repair" photos: https://imgur.com/a/nL6hh

ChU3bgP.jpg

qQWGSNp.jpg

PmKULtg.jpg

25 minutes ago, S21 said:

Really like the belt!

That thing is an absolute beast. The saddle leather is so thick that it actually bruised me once during the first week of wear! I sat down too fast, slightly off balance, and it caught the top of my hip bone. Not pleasant haha. 

Its been holding these jeans up for at least 7 years now, maybe 8. 

44 minutes ago, FreeCharlesManson said:

those jeans are amazing i hope to wear a pair that hard in the future. how do SUPERrep work vs POSrep? 

I’m sure you will. You just have to find that pair that fit just right. And I have never known how superreps work on this forum. Haha I’m actually curious now that you mention it. 

On 1/5/2018 at 4:24 PM, Oktobr said:

I’m sure you will. You just have to find that pair that fit just right. And I have never known how superreps work on this forum. Haha I’m actually curious now that you mention it. 

strange i tried to SUPERrep you because i think its better than POSrep. weird that there isn't a counter for it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3.1.2018 at 12:53 PM, Oktobr said:

Here are some shots of my 10 year old Pure Blue Japan XX-005's. These have been repaired by Pey (@sashikodenim on Instagram). The high quality photos were taken by my friend, Victor (@Selvedge1), but the rest with my iPhone. I hope you enjoy them. The whole album is here including "before repair" photos: https://imgur.com/a/nL6hh

qQWGSNp.jpg

Wow really really incredible strong and impressing denim evo seen here

Keep them alive for ever!!!

They deserve it!!!

Has anybody tried the PBE-019, are there are fade pics? Pure Blue Japan - Relaxed Tapered (Beige Tinted Warp)

This is the only pair in a High Rise/Tapered fit in stock with Okayama store at the moment & I want to use the store credit. Tired of waiting for the Japan Blue stock to come in.

I am not sure how the Beige tint looks in real life, hence the question.

never seen em myself, but you might want to consider the weight, it's toward the heavyweight spectrum of denim. From what I gather, the stuff you have been looking at in other brands is more around the midweight (13-15oz). Also I am guessing the g-star jeans you are used to are around the 13oz mark.

1 hour ago, Niro said:

never seen em myself, but you might want to consider the weight, it's toward the heavyweight spectrum of denim. From what I gather, the stuff you have been looking at in other brands is more around the midweight (13-15oz). Also I am guessing the g-star jeans you are used to are around the 13oz mark.

Thanks, Niro. Your attention to detail is amazing. I am willing to try slightly heavier denim. Self edge has a 14oz version of the same cut for $300. I don’t understand how are these cheaper in the US then in Japan.

Because Pure Blue Japan have imposed international pricing. Okayama Denim is aimed at the international market, thus for them to keep the PBJ account, they had to price it at the international price.

If you physically go to a Japanese store and buy PBJ, you will pay the japanese price.