Free Galliano

AgentRed

For anyone else who thinks he was goaded in to saying something absurd by yokels and then filmed for a witch hunt.

He's a gay Gibraltan drinking in the Marais, I think it's pretty clear he knows which side of Hitler's enemies list he'd fall on. Sucks to 99% of the fashion industry selling him out.

For anyone who comes to this site for more than pictures of faded jeans:

http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11331

I wrote:

"Like I said, he's a gay Mauritian drinking in the Marais, of course it's the most awful thing he could've said, but it's meant as a condemnation of hitler, and gas chambers, and the holocaust. A condemnation, not an approval. And we're all condemning anti-semitism here. That's not disputable"

This is kind of important so condemn, discuss, argue, do something,

AR

He's an idiot, but...

If he said this about the Young Turks, the Serbians, the Soviets, or any other group that has committed genocide, this would not have been an issue. It would not have made the press.

It must be said that there is a certain degree of cultural victimization and alienation that deserves special attention and in extreme cases, special protection. People have been pushing for tougher laws on hate speech but really only applying them to attacks on one interest group. Thought suppression through proposing sterner censorship laws and, in this case, through organized media humiliation and a blitz-like smear campaign don't reflect a problem with antisemitism as much as they reflect extreme paranoia. A paranoia brought to law by a privilege that will create the kind of social backlash that the Jewish community and its army of lobbyists seek to avoid.

This thread will stay in superfashion. It's an interestingtopic and I'd like to heard what other people have to say.

They all made a big case of that because he's some celebrity. It's just stupid.

Firing a dude for his political views? That's a bit backwards.

the frenchies . . .

what i want to know is where is the rest of the video? i find it hard to believe they conveniently started recording at that point

i want to know what preceded his remarks. i am curious to hear what the people recording it were saying to provoke him

cuz that's some pussy ass shit. provoking/insulting/bugging him and shit, and then editing that part out to make it look like you are the victim. nobody seems to care about this part?

sure he probably shouldn't have said what he said since it's illegal there and all, but i bet less people would be getting their panties in a bunch if they saw the whole thing

i'm pretty sure Galliano didn't just randomly feel like insulting people next to him. he wasn't even really facing them in the video and all that

My guess is someone in power at Dior is jewish. If all else fails, I'm sure he will always have a place at Hugo Boss. ::drumroll

Nice one. A few seasons ago Boss played on that by having some blatantly Nazi-chic stuff. I thought it was good.

Concerning her critique, didn't Portman change name from Herschel to sound less jewish?

In more ways than just this one, I often wonder who Ms. Portman thinks she is. She's such a mediocre talent. She's becoming very annoying. If you thought Tarentino's obvious sucking up with Inglorious Bastards was bad...

cuz that's some pussy ass shit. provoking/insulting/bugging him and shit, and then editing that part out to make it look like you are the victim. nobody seems to care about this part?

It's like the George Michael incident. Only now it's okay to be gay.

PS- I'm really glad that people see how wack this is and that nobody is starting off with "i don't hate jewish people or anything but..." or "I have friends who are jewish"

SIGNS OF PROGRESS. :P

...my understanding is that this is a combination of a few things.

1)they have been looking to replace galliano for a while.

2)dior is owned by LVMH, who also owns Guerlain. Guerlain's head said in an interview last year that he "works like a nigger". LVMH did nothing; they had protests for a while.

like ironman said, it seems like they edited that video, which seems ridiculous. However, galliano is a celebrity, and as such he should know better, especially as the representative of one of the strongest fashion houses in the world.

to put it into perspective: if the CEO of a major non-fashion company said anything racist/defamatory that could hurt their bottom line, he'd be out the door with no questions asked.

"...His collections have always been about transgression, busting taboos, and he has taken other designers along with him, so you sit in a show and are no longer bothered by the fact that what you are seeing is unwearable. Most of it will never reach the shops.

... If you are breaker of taboos, then antisemitism is only another taboo, no different from any other. It's the saying of the unsayable. It has become the last frontier for those demanding freedom of speech, for whom everything, even the Holocaust, is fair game. Is Galliano an actual antisemite who hates Jews? Who knows what passes through his mind, but by invoking the name of Hitler and gloating about the gas chambers, he is only doing what others have always paid him to do: shock.

..."

full article here

What shocks me about that video is that there is a man sitting there making death treats to people and declaring them ugly and thus right for the gas chamber.

Wishing a slow and painful death to them.

You can talk all you want about the genius behind this man but the bottom line is that he made foul death threats to people on more then one occasion.

So if the anti semitism wasn't enough that should have given the heads at Dior good enough reason to sack him

He should have known better as the man is getting paid to make the house of Dior look good

Fact is the house of Dior can't survive on Haute couture shows alone.

He is a PR front for the rest of the merchandising (sunglasses, bags, perfume, RTW etc).

And Dior aren't going to risk that with a foul mouthed designer spouting off death threats and anti semitic comments in the Jewish quarter of Paris.

The question I think in most people's minds here is, "would this be a big deal if he said the same thing about [insert victimized ethnic group here]" regardless of context or location.

I think a lot of people are starting to raise a stinky brow at just how efficient the defamation and smear tactics used by a very well-organized media syndicate are and just how often they're used to systematically destroy and humiliate people.

I think that what he said was retarded and that sort of racism is ICP-level "naughty" talk that makes you come across as very stupid with a cheap arsenal. If it were my choice I might have sacked him for bringing me bad press regardless. The issue is just how much bad press the issue generated when, if the man had said the same thing about Armenians or whoever, it wouldn't have ruffled too many feathers and the media would probably have ignored it.

Many of us are simply wondering how far we're willing to let a privileged few decide what is and isn't worthy of free speech and whether or not moral relativism is a strong enough variable to decide that.

i feel that Tisci's efforts have been lacking for his latest Givenchy mens collections, so i guess that's good news

who to replace him indeed. or will they just make him do both? Lagerfeld does both Fendi and Chanel, right?

Do tell, who are these "privileged few"?

The question I think in most people's minds here is, "would this be a big deal if he said the same thing about [insert victimized ethnic group here]" regardless of context or location.

I think a lot of people are starting to raise a stinky brow at just how efficient the defamation and smear tactics used by a very well-organized media syndicate are and just how often they're used to systematically destroy and humiliate people.

I think that what he said was retarded and that sort of racism is ICP-level "naughty" talk that makes you come across as very stupid with a cheap arsenal. If it were my choice I might have sacked him for bringing me bad press regardless. The issue is just how much bad press the issue generated when, if the man had said the same thing about Armenians or whoever, it wouldn't have ruffled too many feathers and the media would probably have ignored it.

Many of us are simply wondering how far we're willing to let a privileged few decide what is and isn't worthy of free speech and whether or not moral relativism is a strong enough variable to decide that.

Do tell, who are these "privileged few"?
Obviously the jewish bankers who control the world economy from their lair at the earth's core.

HAR HAR.

Correct. They're reptiles.

:rolleyes:

I must be a regular Eustace Mullins for spewing such blasphemy. Always pushing a gold standard and ZOG conspiracy theories. I guess I didn't mean to offend your delicate sensibilities with such heretical hate speech and paranoia (that I actually in no way alluded to).

Actually,

Most anti-hate speech legislation in the western world comes from apologetic, non-Jewish political entities trying to exploit or manufacture social strife in exchange for a more favorable standing in international politics and/or bending to powerful lobbying groups. These laws are brought to fruition by a privileged few who have the resources to finance the lobbying firms, be it Jewish or not. Censorship laws aren't exactly pushed by general public outcry and civil protest... Nobody needs to walk on eggshells regarding this issue.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting thread. Imo, it sucks that Galliano's personality and work are now reduced to a few words recorded in an edited video. Noone will ever know for sure if what he said was meant to be taken literally or not, or what his intentions were. But that's simply OK, people say retarded things and do stupid mistakes every day - the important thing is to be able to empathize and not pretend that you've the right to judge others.

Also, this

Firing a dude for his political views? That's a bit backwards.