Top Posters In This Topic

as far suschi in NY is concerned, NOBU is a bit out

the best place is now MEGU and if you check it on the net, it ll say:

"At the city's latest high-end Asian eatery, the menu is baffling, the portions

are small, the prices are astronomical, and the result is fantastic"

and I really do confirm

cheers!

Quote:

There's this place in Chelsea called D'or Ahn. It's a Korean/French fusion. They have a selection of raw items on the menu. Check it out! The space looks amazing and the food is great. Essential.

--- Original message by sotek on Jan 7, 2006 10:42 PM

I went to D'or Ahn after I read the review in NY Magazine. Its a terrible restaurant.

Oh, and the best places for sushi are definitely at:

Sushi Yasuda

kuruma zushi

Sushi of Gari (east side)

Nothing else compares. Seriously.

Quote:
Quote:

There's this place in Chelsea called D'or Ahn. It's a Korean/French fusion. They have a selection of raw items on the menu. Check it out! The space looks amazing and the food is great. Essential.

--- Original message by sotek on Jan 7, 2006 10:42 PM

I went to D'or Ahn after I read the review in NY Magazine. Its a terrible restaurant.

--- Original message by cchen on Jan 7, 2006 11:48 PM

i dined there twice already and had a great time. i guess you just didn't like the food.

Quote:

definately check out Tsuki if you are down for a trip to the UES.

Mike san and Chris are an awesome team and their uni (sea urchin) is maybe the best in the city.

blue ribbon in bklyn is pretty good too.

--- Original message by rigga on Jan 4, 2006 10:09 AM

woah what happened to the old guys who used to work at sushi senin and maeda?

I don't trust any sushi chefs named mike and chris

SAPPORO EAST on 10th and first.

It's the only sushi joint you need in NYC.

Affordable, awesome food and more than 50 % of the clientel is japanese.

The vibe is hectic, loud and welcoming, and the tempura and spicy tuna rolls are fan-fucking-tastic!

The fact that they are constantly screaming orders in japanese, without it feeling "tourist-trappy", doesn't make things worse.

Nobu can go screw itself.

Unless you have bad confidence, and have to go where everyone else goes, pay way to much and still end up with a waiter smirking at you, after paying 25 bucks for a roll?...

Chris

• 1 year later...
had dinner at jewel bako on e 5th st. last night with my gf.

ordered omakase, and it was the best sushi we've had in new york.

had anyone had sushi better than them in nyc?

bump this thread with mad flava.

I've been quite lucky in that because of work (and a few personal outings), I've hit almost every reputable sushi spot by now. I've had omakase at Jewel Bako and I was disappointed. The selection was interesting but the quality wasn't that high.

The best I've been to are Kuruma-zushi and Sushi Yasuda. The place I never hear mentioned is Sushi-ma on 47th b/w 3rd and Lex. I was lucky enough to have an Omakase there when a "powerful" Japanese company took me out. It was one of the more memorable omakase experiences I've had in the city. When it was open, Honmura-An also had the best ike-hotate (they were Nantucket bay scallops) I've had.

Sapporo East is the best cheap sushi I've had in the city. Sushi-den is also decent for the price and they have aka-dashi miso w/ clams (for all you Nagoya folks out there).

wow, chicken, we gotta hit that up sometime. how much was omakase there?

i'm a big fan of tomoe sushi. probably best deal in town for high grade sushi...

The wait can be quite bad at tomoe. I was staying in an apt right across the street once, and went like 4 times a week during that time. I also went in there one time after a meal for a few pieces because I saw Daria walk in there.

From what I can remember Sushi of Gari had an incredible omakase. And I believe they've expanded locations. Must hit it up next week.

my wife introduced me to a great little spot called Rio & You. The main menu looks super generic like every other cookie cutter Japanese restaurant and it looks like a chinese restaurant from outside but they have a specials menu with fish flown in from Japan daily, free apps from the izakaya menu with every beer. The 35 dollar sushi special is better than some place's omakase.