BS United Oni Denim Pics

john11f

I'm strongly considering getting a pair of the 552 Natural Indigo GR, which use the 'secret' denim. I was hoping to get some feedback regarding shrinkage and stretching and sizing.

One of my best fitting denim is a pair of N&F WG in size 31, which has an actual waist around 33. So for these I was looking to get size 32 in raw, with a pre-soak waist of 34.5 (via denimio and BiG). Is it reasonable to expect that these will shrink to one-wash size, actual waist 32.5-33?

Also, with the 'secret' denim should I expect these to stretch out close to pre-soak measurements or do they surpass pre-soak?

For the first 'soak', I was planning on a hot soak for 1.5-2 hours and then a hot wash/cold rinse (no detergent) in the washing machine.

my experience with ONI denim, 14 oz, and 16.5 oz XX,  has been that they will stretch out past the pre-soak measurements if needed.  i've always enjoyed the heck out of my ONI and would love to get into some secret denim one of these days, though I prefer the lighter weight so I am leaning towards the XXBE for the next pair of ONI. 

Thank you for the feedback. Based off that, it seems I should size down to a 31 so that after stretching it should be a 33-34 inch waist and a 12-12.5 thigh. 

Were there any issues with shrinking?  I had heard that Oni's top block can be a little stubborn as it relates to shrinking to one-wash size

Re: the above, yeah, they stretch a lot, but I haven't had many pairs of raws that don't. I've gone up 10 pounds due to inactivity while finishing my PhD, and they've stretched nicely along with me. :P

Wife just repaired them, btw:

Crotch patched, and seams restitched with some extra black denim I had removed from Samurai hems:

23819406681_b9454c7c8f_b.jpg

23901877525_170b575a53_b.jpg

23273678524_2a9d8f897d_b.jpg

My wife does a ridiculously good job with this stuff, to the point that it's always almost totally invisible from the outside as long as I catch it moderately early.

• 2 weeks later...

Mail from Denimio:

A battle has been raging. Older than your ancestors. Older than the blade. Older than blood.

The samurai are true, swift, natural warriors in search for glory. The demons didn't fight for glory: they fight for spirit and power.

Whose slub will protect you on the journey? Which side will prove the strongest? Which team will show the most passion, the most endurance?

Warp and weft. Tapered and straight. Washed and unwashed.

#TeamOni vs #TeamSamurai

Which side are you on?

Enter the battle to win epic prizes throughout this year-long battle. Pre-order your limited edition Samurai vs Oni battle jeans now to join! (details below)

Sigh-up form (Deadline: January 14, 2016) :

http://goo.gl/forms/3xpqb9SmoU

Samurai Jeans Contest editions:

• S710XX19oz (Tight Straight) and S510XX19oz (Regular Straight)
  • Special contest edition leather patch
  • Bronze "battle mode" top button
  • Special tab on coin pocket
  • Serial numbers on each pair

ONI Denim Contest editions:

• 517XX16.5oz (Tight Straight) , 512XX16.5oz (Relax Skinny), and 277XX16.5oz (Regular Straight)
  • Special contest edition leather patch
  • Red "battle mode" fly buttons
  • Special tab on coin pocket
  • Serial numbers on each pair

X post from general thread..Posted Today, 09:09 PM

I have a pair of Oni 517. (Should have got the 512 fit in hindsight.) Theres a tiny blowout coming on the pocket from my phone which is annoying me. The jeans arent really worn and faded yet as I dont wear them that hard and have PBJ and SDA in main roatation. The begining of the hole sticks out to much for me as the jeans themselves still look relatively new.

In addition I can see the begining of failure at the fly, you know if the jeans are to tight the piece of denin the buttons attach to starts to pull away from the jean exposing the stiching and looking like its going to rip? Only these arent tight on me at all!

I think by now we all know that Oni arent hand made by a reclusive master weaver theres simply to many sizes and varients available and they have been easily available for long enough for their build quality and durability to be tested so whats peoples experience of them?

The reason I ask is that despite the above Im actually considering getting another pair in the 512 though this time possibly in the 16oz as the 14oz I have feel very thin and light.

Are my quality concerns founded or just an isolated issue?

I got the 546ZR last week, gave them a warm soak and a hot machine wash, the measurements (BiG style) pre- and post-soak as well as the fit picture after soaking:

Wait 36 - 34.6

Hip 22.5-21.25

Front 11 - 10.2

Back 15 - 14

Thigh 13 - 12.5

Knee 9.25 - 8.6

Hem 8.2 - 7.75

SYFDquj.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Yes i am Pretty happy with the fit. But the topblock is still a bit roomy for my liking.

So i will do a second hot soak with only soaking the topblock.

From the thigh down they look perfect, so I really hope the second soak yields what you want.  I just ordered a pair of 512's in a 28 (I think the fit is the same or similar).  I was wondering what's your height/weight?  I really want my fit to be spot on.

Edited by Oktobr

Here due to registering a while back for the ONI x Samurai Contest

ONI Denim Contest editions:

• 517XX16.5oz (Tight Straight)  <-  Went with this pair

I will post a review of the contest pair and provide updates on the contest once the pairs ship in April/May.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to get my first heavyweight jeans and have decided on the secret denim Oni-546ZR. These are tapered fit with mid rise?

I am worried about the sizing and was hoping anyone could help me.

I am 32.5 inch in the waist, so I think I should get a size 32 (34 inch waist), which after shrinkage should feel snug but then loosen out a bit after wearing. Would this be correct thinking?

Edited by Niro

I've found Onis to run quite true-to-size, so if you are used to wearing a 32 in similar cuts then a 32 tag size will be the best fit. My jeans all tend to end up in the vicinity of a 31.5-32 waist after wear, and I wear tag size 31 in Oni.

I will say that the 546 fit feels like a bit of a lower rise than I had expected. Probably to some extent because the thighs and top block of the cut are on the slimmer side - Oni tends to have slightly smaller back rise on their jeans than most mid rise cuts I've tried.

I've found Onis to run quite true-to-size, so if you are used to wearing a 32 in similar cuts then a 32 tag size will be the best fit. My jeans all tend to end up in the vicinity of a 31.5-32 waist after wear, and I wear tag size 31 in Oni.

I will say that the 546 fit feels like a bit of a lower rise than I had expected. Probably to some extent because the thighs and top block of the cut are on the slimmer side - Oni tends to have slightly smaller back rise on their jeans than most mid rise cuts I've tried.

Thanks =)

I usually buy sanforized, so I get 1 size lower in other brands (33 inch waist). But I want to buy unsanforized for my heavyweight jeans.

Would you say the 546 is a slim fit? Maybe the oni-527zr is a true slim fit, but I can't find it in stock anywhere

Their 527 fits more like a 60s cut - a true mid/high rise with plenty of room in the thighs and butt, plus some taper from the knees down. Definitely not a slim cut. That's what I tend to prefer, so I actually sold off a pair of Onis that I had in the 546/517 cut and got the same denim in a 527 cut instead.

546 isn't their skinniest cut, I would call it more of a slim-tapered. Samurai's 710XX felt very similarly proportioned to me, if that helps.

If you're looking for a skinny cut, it looks like Oni now makes an even slimmer cut called the 506. But I've never seen that cut in person.

nice vintage pair, bloodynutz, make me want a pair for myself, but, I'm not into that heavyweight denim anymore, my last jeans was sam's 19oz and it feels hotter and hotter nowadays, so 14-17oz would be my perfect pair

Why is there no hype in this thread about the indigo/indigo fabric that Oni is going to release?

I'm interested in that lol