BS United Oni Denim Pics

john11f

Yes i am Pretty happy with the fit. But the topblock is still a bit roomy for my liking.

So i will do a second hot soak with only soaking the topblock.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a pair of 517s in the 14oz denim.  The slub is unreal; I would say its most comparable to SG11xx denim but probably even more slubby.  The fit is similar to the s710 cut but slightly more tapered.  Overall I am in love with this pair and I am moving to Asia in a couple months so I am sure the lighter weight will make life more bearable. 

4qqv2Mj.jpg

XXSPIJ1.jpg

nRqN8jz.jpg

Looks off to me.  I agree it looks very similar but all their pictures are shitty.  If they really had the secret denim wouldn't they post some decent pics to prove it.  The only decent shot they have of it they went crazy with the contrast slider.  I hope this story develops but given the secrecy which Oni works in I doubt they will do an interview to clarify.

I know nothing about manufacturing denim but I imagine it wouldn't be impossible for a mill to come up with a similar fabric to the secret denim?

Anyway here are some pictures of my 527zr when they were new.

KgaAXKL.jpg

iJV2vAD.jpgBsYGYmz.jpg

What's the point of making a slim fit with a cinch back and a low rise? And those bright orange stitchings are really some eyesore.

On the other hand, let's not fool ourselves with all this secret/mystic feeling about ONI. After all, it's all publicity stunts to make it a cool brand that makes you think you are buying something in limited supply. Do you really think an old man who operates an aged loom alone somewhere in Japan is able to pump out so many different cuts using at least 4 different fabrics ever since ONI rises to the fame on reddit? And all of sudden its products are on display by so many Rakuten sellers and by Denimio (whom I'd say has since double-downed on ONI products).

ONI was a niche brand with some niche products and minuscule demand, which simply did not justify scaling up production and sales. Now, as Geeman said, it is in the limelight, and naturally it scales up production and sales to maximize the profit while it still can. There is nothing wrong with that, and some people may genuinely like ONI's products. But if Ciano Farmer indeed managed to source the secret denim, then I'd suspect that ONI doesn't even loom its own fabric and let's count down the days when Gustin get hold of some yards!

^ Oh man, you're going to like those. My pair has been tucked away since April because they're just too damn heavy for the summer, but it's a great denim. Fades pretty quickly for natural indigo, but I suspect a lot of that is due to the insane loom chatter and heavy ridges it tends to produce.

If NYC weather can finally decide to embrace fall and dip below 70 degrees, I'm looking forward to breaking them out again.

• 1 month later...

anybody got a clue in sizing for the 417 cut? how does it differ from the 517?
if I supposedly wear a 29 in the 517 cut, should I take 29 in the 417 or does it need to be 30?

I was hoping that it would be 517xxbe that's getting restocked, but it was 417xxbe instead, so yeah, got a bit of a confusion here

But if Ciano Farmer indeed managed to source the secret denim, then I'd suspect that ONI doesn't even loom its own fabric and let's count down the days when Gustin get hold of some yards!

It's speculation... but I think you called it...

https://www.weargustin.com/store/2524

The selvedge looks different and the inside weft. Let's hope it's just Gustin jumping on the slub bandwagon.

From the amount of cuts, varients and availability from Oni now I think it's a cert "he's" not looming his own denim in a hidden workshop. ...

It's speculation... but I think you called it...

https://www.weargustin.com/store/2524

Yeah, reddit is calling that the secret denim, but that's very unlikely. Too light (18 oz sanforized vs 20 oz unsanforized, which would be about 22 oz post-shrink) and it's missing the insane nep of the 20 oz secret denim.

However, it totally looks like Oni's XX BE fabric: beige weft, some nep (not much), lots of slub fibers in the warp and weft, and a thick pink ID thread. Plus, the XX BE fabric is 16.5 oz in unsanforized, so if they just sanforized it to get the shrink out, it would end up right around 18 oz.

It's a great fabric. If Oni had offered it in the 527 cut, they'd be in my closet now.

Maybe I have too much disposal income for my own good but you can get Onis for ~170 off Denimio why wait for Gustin to make your jeans when you can get some real deal MiJ Onis for only a bit more

I feel that Gustin caters to a different demographic. Maybe they're the kind of people who like the idea of buying made in USA jeans or who just aren't that aware of all the different brands out there. They're going after people on a budget too. Gustin, to them, is a safe and reliable bet. Don't like their business model though. Ordered my Onis from Denimio and got them in a week. Definitely thought my Onis were more special than they are though. Sucks that they're "secret" denim isn't so secret anymore.

that last sentence certainly is true. won't change the way i look at my type 3 though.

when WH Ranch released some of his cuts in the 50/50 Cotton/SugarCane LHT I was pissed, too.

Now Mister Freedom is doing the denim also, which is no surprise, for his Lot 54 or 64 (don't care).

Anyway, neither of them have created such an awesome jeans as SugarCane with its very own Okinawa. Period.

It's the same with Oni.

who gives a shit about gustin anyway

Edited by Blue Nemo

I gave my 512xxBE their 6-7 Month wash and I think they're coming along nicely. Now that nyc is cooling down a bit I have the opportunity to break out some of the heavier weight pairs so the 512xx will get a bit of a break in the coming months.

22935456612_53623bc33f_b.jpg

Natural lighting

22922880006_bec5711986_c.jpg

details

22327736413_ac2152430c_c.jpg

^really tempted me to get a pair in that fabric  ^_^

that texture is awesome

• 4 weeks later...

love my onis got all their fabric except for the 14oz.

but I do hate how the top block like someone said earlier u damn near need to boil them to get a good amount of shrinkage.

whatever u do avoid wearing them wet & do to much movement..

u will get irreversible knee baggin like I did in my 546zr & 507khn:/

wish they made more of a full leg taper & keep the mid front rise.

something like pbj cut on there slim tapered xx-013.

I love the nep & slub & out of all my denim oni fades the fastest.

Edited by M3RK

Thanks Somar!

I sized up one from my Momo 0201s and went with a 33. Quite tight at first (I couldn't button the top button) but now they are perfect.

Fit-wise I prefer the Oni's narrower leg over the 0201's. I do however prefer the Momo's slightly higher rise. Oh well, cant have it all.

6 months of effective wear, 2 washes, against a hideous hotel carpet:

23538202812_514b7909f0_b.jpg

23564343531_fdb4dd6d39_b.jpg

I need to give them a wash, quite obviously, but I'm not exercising much at all right now while finishing up the last stages of my PhD, and I'm nervous about how tight they'll be on my temporarily expanded waist line. :) Also, need to repair the crotch very soon. It's going to be a mess really quickly. This denim isn't at all durable. Haha.

Edited by cander49

Do it rightyow, unders is right. Who gives a f**k what you do with your jeans other than you and if it means you'll wear them rather than let them languish in a wardrobe, then it can only be a good thing.