2005: the year hip hop got gotted (RIP)

fobsquad

odd future/odd future hype

amen.

except i checked a few songs out and they're aight.

Tyler is the genius behind their attitude/image and probably the only one who might make real bank.

but yea, i pretty much hate all hip-hop by anyone that debuted after 2005. just idiots rapping about being a rapper ballin' out and beefing about stupid shit. lyrics go straight through both my ears now.

it really sucks because i used to love h.e.r.

yeah see thats the thing i like a lot of radio/down south mixtape/ignant shit

some good production, makes me laugh, swagger music etc

of is just a transparent attempt at shocking people, with a predictable response

also they cant rap and their beats are boring

at least their supreme hats are cool

b4gQP5r4IyU

This shit is still way doper than OF and this was what... '94? The fact that Tyler said that Gravediggaz suck so much that they make him cry (or something along those lines) proves to me that he doesn't know what's up. They wouldn't be doing what they're doing now without these guys and similar artists paving the way.

amen.

except i checked a few songs out and they're aight.

Tyler is the genius behind their attitude/image and probably the only one who might make real bank.

yeah, the dude is only one doing anything relevant. ofwg = great entertainers (live is fucking absurd), but dunno if they will be able to stand on their own w/o novelty crutch

also think the fetishizing of ignant shit, by white kids for the most part, is getting annoying.

I fucks with Flocka, but chill on the trap boners.

agree

this is on some subconscious (racial?) superiority/disingenuous enjoyment shit.

2005 is a stupid, arbitrary line to draw in hip-hop.

and fuck Common.

arbitrary maybe, but i think it's a fair assessment.

hiphop was already dying in the midlate 90s as it diverged into r&b (nu-soul?) and [insert adjective]-rap. by early '00, snoop, pharrell, hova, kanye and even $0.50 would become household names. i'm talking white ppls houses. all of a sudden the difference between mainstream and underground was what they played on the radio. when kids started to like chopped&screwed, i made sure to gtfo before dubstep would be invented. (bring on the neg)

in all fairness, i loved hiphop at its peak when random cats from around the world would become famous for a day because of a beatbox/freestyle video clip. but put it this way; around the time Doom finished special herbs and AJ&free left 106park is when (i believe) hiphop itself became hype.

and for those who care/know...it was also around the time when good kpop died.

but there are defo still rappers keeping it good and hood without selling out to the consumers, so hiphop will never really die. im jus saying having hiphop as your genre-of-choice is no longer "cool". but you all knew that already. and to be honest, i know jack shit about rock music and its variants

hip-hop seems to be the only genre in mainstream music that keeps doubting its own existence

AM I DEAD??!

remember when some dude made a hip-hop song about how hip-hop is dead? and then another dude made a song about the song that said hip-hop was dead? and then another made a song about the song that was about the song that hip-hop was dead?

BOOM

inception.jpg

The great irony of the topic's first post is that Common made that song in 1994 complaining about the state of hip hop, in what is now considered one of hip hop's finest year. This cycle of "it ain't what it used to be" is hilariously predictable, and picking 2005 (of all years) shows how little you know about the genre. Hip Hop is best at whatever point you are able to dig deep and find the great rappers of that time point. For example, will time remember Freddie Gibbs or Blu for that matter?

remember when some dude made a hip-hop song about how hip-hop is dead? and then another dude made a song about the song that said hip-hop was dead? and then another made a song about the song that was about the song that hip-hop was dead

i remember, and i hope this shit doesn't spiral off sufu forums into another year for people to scream "hip hop is dead" w/o acknowledging the talent that exists underground. lets get one thing clear, pretty much all forms of music are "dead" in a mainstream sense. it's all watered down for the masses because intricately written lyrics don't make for good party music. i also believe the status of our music today is reflective of the avg person's intellect.

and post-2005 there is still great music being made. i don't even really think this thread is about the decline of quality in hip hop as much as it is a chance for OP and others to feign musical superiority.

The Minstrel Show - Little Brother

Late Registration - Kanye West

Fishscale – Ghostface Killah

Hell Hath No Fury – Clipse

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

UGK - Underground Kingz

GZA - 'Pro Tools'

Clipse - 'Til The Casket Drops'

DOOM - 'Born Like This'

Raekwon - 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx'

Mos Def - 'The Ecstatic'

That is all 2005-2009

Hip Hop is best at whatever point you are able to dig deep and find the great rappers of that time point. For example, will time remember Freddie Gibbs or Blu for that matter?

this can pretty much apply to any genre of music. and no, time will not remember blu, because hes not making platinum or getting piggy back rides from jimmy fallon. but he's a fine example of rappers who keep hiphop alive. and ive only heard his johnsonjonson album...

i don't even really think this thread is about the decline of quality in hip hop as much as it is a chance for OP and others to feign musical superiority.

exactly why this was originally posted in supertrash. so fuck you and fuck ddml for the stupid thread title.

but thanks, i know i'm musically superior to you :cool:

The Minstrel Show - Little Brother

Late Registration - Kanye West

Fishscale – Ghostface Killah

Hell Hath No Fury – Clipse

Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens

UGK - Underground Kingz

GZA - 'Pro Tools'

Clipse - 'Til The Casket Drops'

DOOM - 'Born Like This'

Raekwon - 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx'

Mos Def - 'The Ecstatic'

That is all 2005-2009

rappers who debuted after 2005.

and tru3 magic is better than ecstatic

hip-hop seems to be the only genre in mainstream music that keeps doubting its own existence

AM I DEAD??!

this

This cycle of "it ain't what it used to be" is hilariously predictable

and this

shit is fucking retarded, i almost wrote another shit you hate about it

most rap bloggers and rap blog commenters make me want to die

REAL HIP HOP WAS ONLY ACHIEVED IN NY BETWEEN 88 N 94 LOL

same goes for youtube comments (which i admit i am an idiot 4 readin or caring about) that go out of their way to trash everyone selling records today and include some variation on 'real hip hop thumbs up if you agree'

seriously, most of these dumbfucks sound like the clueless 60s hipsters who were mad at dylan for going electric

not sayin youre gonna find many true geniuses on your local blazin hip hop n rb station, but u know what i mean

also think the fetishizing of ignant shit, by white kids for the most part, is getting annoying.

I fucks with Flocka, but chill on the trap boners.

agree

this is on some subconscious (racial?) superiority/disingenuous enjoyment shit.

u may b right but i aint about to start complaining about other white people who listen to rap and how i really get on the right level or w/e

i mean, it is what it is, sometimes i like gun cocking sounds in my music

the people who "hate" the OF hype

of course youre gonna hate it cuz its hype and by definition SUFU hates hype cuz we're elitist assholes and thats why we're all here

ALL PART OF THE CYCLE BRO

aint mad at u dawg; honestly i regretted that shit the min i posted it cuz its like i hate that whole movement but if sufus i like are fuckin w it might as well just let it be

hahaha, nice, but i'll fucking school you in hip-hop, classic rock, country, r&b, metal, electro, house, and classical.

i'd probably school you in kpop as well even though it is not a highly respected form of music [for the most part].

i'll see you and raise you funk soul and disco.

and no way you got me in kpop unless youre a 30+ year old korean fob

come at me bro