Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

every now and then if i click on a member's name from the main page (someone who had the last post in any given sub-forum), it'll bring me to this user, despite their last post being in September 2010

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?u=8

it's weird, for me using this find the last poster link puts him up a couple times for different subforums

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?find=lastposter&f=12

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?find=lastposter&f=17

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/member.php?find=lastposter&f=8

I just applied to three positions at Google Toronto. Probably shouldn't hold my breath.

i work near their HQ and can tell you they draw mostly from top tier schools. MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, etc.

Then again, I have 2 friends from UCSC that work there and one is BAAAALLLLIn

Can't remember who it was with ant head tattoos on their collar, but I thought they would like these http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/12880498

Also, where the flip did RandR go?

i think youre referring to ed0n0b05

RANDR hasnt been online in 2months. Like that du just fell off the face of the internet

i work near their HQ and can tell you they draw mostly from top tier schools. MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, etc.

Then again, I have 2 friends from UCSC that work there and one is BAAAALLLLIn

i think youre referring to ed0n0b05

RANDR hasnt been online in 2months. Like that du just fell off the face of the internet

Actually, ed0n0b05 got those tats after I posted mine on here. Ours are both from a famous chart of EO Wilson's classification sketches. His looked better, though. And he asked my permission so his win.

yo why the fuck are people hyping odd future and not death grips???

shit is fucking HARD

probably because not enough white people listen to it.

more white people = more hype

but then after a certain point

too many white people = not "cool" anymore (lil wayne is a recent example among many others)

diminishing returns of white people.

IMO.

yo why the fuck are people hyping odd future and not death grips???

shit is fucking HARD

Death Grips is dope, but you already know the answer to the question.

It's abrasive and it will appeal to a much smaller group of people.

into the rain, I'd say the ratio of white:black people listening to Death Grips is much higher than OF.

7lNJamgjZ58

fucking link wray sample?! now THATs fucking genius.

then again most odd future people don't even know who link wray is so i get what you're saying

okay fuck so i was wrong

you could fuck my bitch

but genuine question: dont you guys think thats true for somethings at least? like specifically in rap music and shit? maybe there are exceptions like wu-tang or whatever but idk it seems to me like most big time rap artists reach a saturation point of white people and then it just kind of falls apart.

in light of what haploid pointed out, i guess what im wondering is if there is a certain point at which "black" music becomes "pop-music," and if this transition is at all related to how many white people listen to it. well, i guess that kind of makes sense in some way: in order to maintain your largely white audience, i guess black artists need to "repackage" their music into more palatable forms, thereby changing or negating whatever "black" quality it previously had.

so in other words, i guess i just answered my own question. SWAG.

in light of what haploid pointed out, i guess what im wondering is if there is a certain point at which "black" music becomes "pop-music," and if this transition is at all related to how many white people listen to it. well, i guess that kind of makes sense in some way: in order to maintain your largely white audience, i guess black artists need to "repackage" their music into more palatable forms, thereby changing or negating whatever "black" quality it previously had.

so in other words, i guess i just answered my own question. SWAG.

Hm. You might have a point and it got me thinking.

I don't really think this is a "white" thing...

If we're going to analyze the organic growth and authenticity of social musics as rooted in a closed cultural setting then you can't look at "mainstream" music's exploitative and watered down "qualities" as a byproduct of trying to feed cheap reproduction to a solely white majority. Mainstream music is marketed very carefully because its an investment. The hacks they put up on stage and screen are built into franchises. It's a risk like any investment. It's like the dangers in basing our economy on a gold standard. You never want to invest too much into a gamble that one focused commodity will generate the most wealth. The concept behind that is that it is reliable and doesn't change drastically over time. The truth is opposite and the industry knows that. Wealth is generated through diversity.

Thank god for the internet because now they mostly market to children. The tastes of the aged are more esoteric due to easy access to social music communities and people refine their tastes much quicker and more easily. They can focus on their own organic interest groups... That is, if they actually like music to start with and don't just use it as mindless background noise. It's pretty said when a [great] concept like Drone is far more complex and expressive than a mainstream form with multiple structural elements. Targetting whites alone would leave a marketing gap that a very market-driven industry would not tolerate. If you look in the audience, it's not just white people. I can promise you that. There are just simply a lot of white people. This crap isn't watered down for white people. It's watered down for all people.

It reminds me of how I shudder every time I turn on NPR and have to sit through a nauseatingly optimistic segment about some utter douchebag who takes European compositional art music (a largely "white" form that can't be marketed outside of its community without changing it drastically) and infuses it with something completely flimsy within that context like hip hop. Then the radio personalties take this cheery "well look! pushing boundaries!" attitude. What boundaries? You took something that was completely uncompromising and honest and made it easy for stupid people. Then they talk about how they're doing it to "reach out." Reach out to who? This is a stupid idea. You're watering something very real down so that the stupids can enjoy it. That's like putting ketchup on the Thousand Year Old Egg. If you don't get it, move on. It's not black people's fault and I doubt that this stupid shit is "reaching" them. It's stupid people's fault. And the white people will not come. Thank god. Jazz was retooled by tools, as are european forms. We take the electronic production innovations of those evil and unmarketable Germans like Conny Plank and Kraftwerk and decades later exploit that unexpected pregnancy into a wretched anal birth that to this day still won't flush.

Try marketing Varese to anyone without a dick. Good luck.

"What if we have Cat Power croon instead of using that angry siren?"

-"Good idea, Ari. We'll make hundreds with this."