Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

Came in here to post how glad I was that I'm not one of those people who takes professional sports super seriously. I watch baseball and basketball and all, but just passed someone with a Buster Posey personalized license plate...and has 0 relation to him. That shit is weird to me, people get all emotionally invested in a sports team that will never know they exist, and has no impact on their life. Fucking people punching eachother in the face over an athlete they will never meet. It's like the grown man version of being a one direction fan.

Came in here to post how glad I was that I'm not one of those people who takes professional sports super seriously. I watch baseball and basketball and all, but just passed someone with a Buster Posey personalized license plate...and has 0 relation to him. That shit is weird to me, people get all emotionally invested in a sports team that will never know they exist, and has no impact on their life. Fucking people punching eachother in the face over an athlete they will never meet. It's like the grown man version of being a one direction fan.

go home and be a family man

youre fucking naive kid

why do people get emotionally invested in films and tv, they're never going to meet the cast and crew

don't know if you're trying to be facetious, but there's a clear difference. sports have a "us vs them" thing going to the point of delusion/fanaticism. i enjoy sports and respect great athletic feats but i don't get people hurting or, for that matter, even fervently arguing each other over real life dudes who don't even contemplate their existence. there are actual people out there willing to do very dumb things with very real ramifications in the name of sports (e.g. dude who recently killed dodgers fan in the bay, etc). shit's pathetic.

the emotional investment that comes with something artistic is so obviously different from this.

although they can and although the sports world tries to spin many narratives, athletes in general don't represent ideas, themes, etc that warrant emotional investment like great works of literature, cinema, music, fashion...i.e. art. nope. emotional investment in sports usually boils down to "my guy who just happens to play in the city i live in is better than your guy and if you don't agree fuck you."

"sports is a first rate safety valve when you and your value system are brought under friendly but unexpected scrutiny."

don't know if you're trying to be facetious, but there's a clear difference. sports have a "us vs them" thing going to the point of delusion/fanaticism. i enjoy sports and respect great athletic feats but i don't get people hurting or, for that matter, even fervently arguing each other over real life dudes who don't even contemplate their existence. there are actual people out there willing to do very dumb things with very real ramifications in the name of sports (e.g. dude who recently killed dodgers fan in the bay, etc). shit's pathetic.

the emotional investment that comes with something artistic is so obviously different from this.

although they can and although the sports world tries to spin many narratives, athletes in general don't represent ideas, themes, etc that warrant emotional investment like great works of literature, cinema, music, fashion...i.e. art. nope. emotional investment in sports usually boils down to "my guy who just happens to play in the city i live in is better than your guy and if you don't agree fuck you."

http://gallatin.nyu.edu/academics/courses/detail.SP2012.IDSEM-UG1324.001.html