Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

VAGUE POST

I wish the thing that occupies my head was a first world problem

shit gets whacky when things go jungle

it really puts into perspective which of your problems have a whole lot of right answers and wrong answers

and you really don't have to give yourself wrinkles about them -- life moves on from such things

then you just get the shit that's grey and black and heavy

and the only thing your friends could give you is a shoulder to lean on and hope that you'll find the answer.

because they'd like to know the answer too.

last Monday, I called to set up the electricity at my place. I was kind of confused so, when they asked me if I wanted to set up cable, I was like yeah, I'll go with Cox. They started to transfer my call and then I realized that i already had cable so I hung up before the Cox people answered.

Since last Monday, Cox has called me 8 times to ask if I still wanted cable. WTF? I haven't responded for 9 days. Why on earth would they think I still want cable from them? Also, I realize that I could probably resolve this issue by answering the phone, but I kind of want to see how many times they'll call me.

Got an old ID from a friend, everything's perfect, we look enough alike are the same height/weight, but he's got blue eyes, and I've got brown. To be honest a lot of the time I don't get carded anyway so this is a back up, but do bouncers usually go that hard? Should I get it chalked?

this right here. I've been using a few different Fee Brothers bitters to do this. Orange peel was really good, but the classic was out of hand. So, so good. I'm trying to figure out what I want to make with the Walnut Bitters they just released.

West Indian Orange is delicious.

I'm guessing walnut bitters would work nicely with a sweet bourbon, lil orange liquor, nutmeg... ? i duno. that's a tough one.

Aviation cocktail, all day. Gin, lemon juice, maraschino liquor (i use this for old fashioneds... great addition to a home bar), and creme de violete if you can find it.

Maraschino is good in a lot -- I've surprised myself how much use I've been getting out of this bottle. Aviations, definitely, but also Hemingway daiquiris, Red Hooks, and one of my favorites, The Last Word.

If you haven't had a Gin-Gin Mule like Clopek recommended, don't skip it everytime in favor of a Dark 'n Stormy -- it's a great drink. I like to muddle some actual ginger in with it for some extra bite or steep it when I'm making simple syrup, especially when I'm not stocked up on Fever Tree ginger beer or something with some real spice.

Maraschino is good in a lot -- I've surprised myself how much use I've been getting out of this bottle. Aviations, definitely, but also Hemingway daiquiris, Red Hooks, and one of my favorites, The Last Word.

If you haven't had a Gin-Gin Mule like Clopek recommended, don't skip it everytime in favor of a Dark 'n Stormy -- it's a great drink. I like to muddle some actual ginger in with it for some extra bite or steep it when I'm making simple syrup, especially when I'm not stocked up on Fever Tree ginger beer or something with some real spice.

My go-to for Maraschino liqueur is a take on an Old Fashioned. 3oz Rye (I've been using Redemption lately), splash of Maraschino, and 2 dashes of Fee Bros orange bitters. They go down like candy.

Last Word sounds great but I feel like Chartreuse is pretty low on my "to buy" list right now. Maybe I'll have to look into it. I just recently bought St Germain to the home bar which was a nice addition, not sure what to get next...

Since you're in BK (though I'm sure you've already been) I'd check out Prime Meats. They have the most talented bar staff I've seen in the city. Sunday's they always do a homemade punch too - last weekend it was bourbon, honey, strawberries, and sparkling white wine. Shit was bomb.