Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

it has nothing to do with consumption you mug

seenmy was working with aitor 5 years before he produced the first retail collection

deux oiseaux u constantly write well structured shit like a high school english student but are completely clueless about actual subject matter of the topic u grace with ur 5 paragraph essays=

Yeah that part about consumption was a misinterpretation of Sschad's argument on my part, feel free to disregard it.

But, like I said

I'm definitely not criticizing his creative output whatsoever - his success in the industry is a testament to his ability as a stylist and I think a lot of the stuff he's done is fantastic, especially the styling jobs for Missoni. Besides, just because you're amazingly creative and a sucess in the industry, it doesn't necessarily translate into great personal style, picture related

alexandermcqueen.jpg

So you're saying as a stylist he doesn't have great personal style?

Okay Mr Big Shot, it appears you find it so easy to sit high up on that pedestal of yours and cast judgement, why not show us all how it's done?

EDIT: You're a typical armchair critic, sitting from afar and judging others. Just like those football supporters who criticise their team's manager for making "bad choices" during a game, when in reality they don't have a clue as they're not out there training with the team day in day out etc.

Edited by PHAT HEAD CAMEL TOEZ

i like seenmy because he has never really posted that much, but when he does he is v humble and still drops mad knowledge in his typical seenmy fashion (i.e. obscure, interesting facts with no punctation whatsoever and full of typos). yeah, he has gone from sup/dior/vans to vis/vis/vis to ccp/ccp/ccp but i remember my first fit on here being sup/nudies/nike so i don't really see the 'issue' - everyone's tastes change and in ten years he could be rocking gap/uniqlo/walmart and herding yaks in tibet. although there are tons of examples (inc on here - see the visvim, acronym or most superdenim threads) of dudes being 'dressed by the internet' he def isn't one.

also, deux is being kind of a smartass idiot regurgitating a bunch of shit that he doesn't really understand but i remember when i was 19 and thought i was god's gift to internet messageboards as well. i guess the difference was that i was posting on hc forums so i had dudes threatening to stomp my face in as opposed to not being invited to some shitty art exhibition. still, you gotta give him some small amount of 'credit' for having a fraction of a clue - when i was his age (i'm almost 27 now) my concept of 'fashion' was a chain of strength hoodie/bane shirt/camo cargo shorts/nike dunks. for real, if someone had said 'junya watanabe' to me i prob would have thought it was the host of iron chef.

as an egotistical kid its easy to fall into the 'i know everything' trap as lots of communities (esp sufu) encourage big egos and dick waving contests. when you're a teenager with an internet connection and an anonymous voice, you think you've got the biggest dick of all - however, you eventually come to realise that you're in the presence of anacondas. no homo.

i've never been on a hc forum, but i can relate 2 what ur saying in that dudes at shows threatened to stomp my face and that i've gotten my ass beat a bunch of times. when i was active, going to shows was actually threatening. there was an air of menace. one knew his place in the scenester hierarchy. one respected the old faces. the ogs. it was that sense of danger that made shows and social events (as far as hc and punkrock goes) exciting. recently went to couple of reunion shows purely for nostalgic sentimentality.

never again (probably).

anyway you probably weren't concerned with the labels/designers/fashion shit at the time, because i am assuming that hardcore was maybe the center of yr universe, no? also assuming that media sites focused on fashion weren't as prevalent/popular as they r in the most recent years.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

Just going to preface this by saying this is really long & definitely overwrought, so just a heads-up

i dont kno the guy personally, but i do recall that we had a conversation about vintage sneakers a longx2 time ago. this was prob around the time  you got yr first hard on. from what i know is that he knows his shit and is into different shit than he was years ago. MOST of us are.  yeah he might like different aesthetics and wear diff shit on diff days, but honestly who who gives a fuck? he's been around for a while now.  wisdom garnered thru experience.

he isn't some industry new jack or "fashion enthusiast", like you. and yeah that's fine and great that new kids are getting into shit, but what's annoying are the ones like you that try 2 come off like they on some shit or something. yr not saying anything profound, that i haven't heard or hasn't been posted on forums like sufu.

Yeah, he's definitely knowledgeable, you can see that even from his post history, and I acknowledged that in my other post. Of course his style has changed, I'm not condemning that, obviously your personal style most likely will, and perhaps even should, change as you grow and mature as a person, it'd be a little odd seeing Seenmy still rocking supreme,dior and vans. But I think the growth should be somewhat organic and unidirectional. It's one thing to go from Real McCoys to Visvim to Junya to Carol Christian Poell - I'm sure there could be a logical path for some people - but deciding to wear full CCP suiting & Drips one day, then full twisted japanese Ameri-Kaji get-up the next, only to change into Paul Harnden or Undercover the next seems something else entirely. The fact that he does "wear diff shit on diff days" is what bothers me. Nothing wrong with experimenting in terms of style to test your boundaries and find what you find the most comfortable and the things that do best align with your personal style, sometimes it's worth emptying your cup to taste some different tea, but it seems like Seenmy has created entire separate wardrobes for himself based on only liking the clothes themselves (and lets face it, most of labels he wears/buys from were or are a dressed by the internet concept, from CCP to PH to Vis to almost everything else) without really consolidating them with himself  - this is where the lack of personal style comes from, in my opinion. 

I'm not really claiming that there's any profundity in my posts, it just started off as a humorous observation of the irony in a post. I don't really consider any of my posts particularly profound to be honest, they're just long, and that's due to an inability to express myself concisely more than anything else. Like I said, not saying I'm the new guard, or that I'm more knowledgable/dress better than him, because that's not really true

u goin on about personal style and shit. yo how would you define personal style? and yr own personal style? at 18 or 19 i really don't see how you could have developed a respectable or authentic one let alone a authentic personality (not generated by yr beloved media).  most everything you experience is 2nd hand via the internet, some of which i've personally experienced in life, some that'd i've already read/heard b4.  so quit yr bullshit rhetoric already

Responding to this is where I've had trouble actually typing something that makes sense.

I think a personal style should be at least in some way, an expression of yourself. I'm not saying build a whole intertextual persona from the ground up (E.G. I'm a classy man who appreciates the finer things in life, so I'm only going to listen to jazz, wear classic suiting and drink the finest wines), but at least make the way in which you dress a manifestations of how you want the world to perceive you!  I think it should also be cohesive, or at least look like they're cohesive. An eclectic wardrobe (in terms of brand mix-up) can definitely work as long as it's backed by this kind of personal style - a poster like Fuuma might make something like Engineered Garments blend almost seamlessly with an outfit of Borelli or Brioni (sorry I don't know that much about classic menswear  :P ), because he's styled it in a way that's very much his own and it kind of loses the baggage of its original context. I've seen Seenmy do this in some fits, but in quite a few it seems quite haphazard - like a CCP vest slapped on top of a Soloist jacket almost needlessly, looks quite out of place in my opinion. You have to sort of consolidate their work with your own, rather than simply looking to consolidate their work/ideas with each other, or even more simply, just putting them on together. Also in terms of cohesiveness I think a more singular aesthetic makes sense in having a cohesive personal style more than having the fashion equivalent of dissociative identity disorder, where it's full Carol Christian Poell one day, full Soloist the next, and then full Visvim the day after.

there is no consumption argument. some people are lucky, some aren't. seenmy obviously handles jawns live and goes to events, no? i'd say that makes it much easier to formulate a wardrobe that is at the very least more cohesive to a personal sense of style (don't know how u personally would define it).
fact that you pull out the ronnel pokemon is just so fuckin stupid. we're talkin about seenmy not some toy.

Oh, ok then, this one was completely my misunderstanding, so my apologies. Thought your references with retail (and presumably retail prices) vs online shopping was one of "Respect it or check it" rather than something that showed Seenmy's actual experience wearing/trying on/learning about clothing, which I definitely agree with. So yeah, the Ronnel ~baller~ comparison definitely doesn't make sense in that context, sorry.

That being said, perhaps all of this has to do with the way in which Seenmy actually sees clothing, and perhaps it's the reason he's been so successful in the actual industry. I remember a discussion on Fashionology (I think) centring around CCP, and Fuuma asked Seenmy something along the lines of "What do you take away from Carol's work, I hate to think you only see (I forget the idea that Fuuma mentioned) in his output", and he responded something along the lines of "I don't really think about that/ I'd rather not discuss, I only really care about the product" which is an interesting, albeit odd approach to fashion. He's also talked about how important garment quality is to him, and he's certainly managed to qualify it with some pretty in-depth technical knowledge, or even rather eloquent descriptions of fabrics/treatments - thinking back to CCP here. Perhaps Seenmy doesn't really care about personal style whatsoever, and that the garment is nothing more than an object, which makes him a mannequin to show off good product. 

Even if that's true I have no idea why he'd like PH following that reasoning  :blink:

my response 2 yr attempts at damage control is this-   tbh i dont really give a fuck about seenmy's net infamy let alone his feelings, but you should show some respect.  u r a classic case of not only dressed by the internet, but practically raised by it.  probably more so than most people here, on sz, sf or whateverthafuck forum.

in terms of dressed by the internet,  seenmy is definitely dwarfed by you/people of like u.  i come to this logical conclusion mainly because of yr geographical handicap, age, etc.  think about seenmy's, not to mention the actual industry he works in. pls don't try to refute this.  it is impossible.

Edited by SSchadenfreude

The fact that he does "wear diff shit on diff days" is what bothers me. Nothing wrong with experimenting in terms of style to test your boundaries and find what you find the most comfortable and the things that do best align with your personal style, sometimes it's worth emptying your cup to taste some different tea, but it seems like Seenmy has created entire separate wardrobes for himself based on only liking the clothes themselves (and lets face it, most of labels he wears/buys from were or are a dressed by the internet concept, from CCP to PH to Vis to almost everything else) without really consolidating them with himself  - this is where the lack of personal style comes from, in my opinion. 

This is entirely subjective. Girls play dress up and are cowgirls one day and princesses the next. They have mastered the art of dressing based on the environment. This is what the already overexposed and widely misunderstood expression "normcore" is all about. Dressing to seamlessly fit in the environment, girls know the power of this and guys are starting to embrace it. This is relatively new in the context of menswear, as men traditionally have dressed the way of their profession. Nowadays, you can't judge a person by how they're dressed anymore. That you have a problem with understanding this is your problem, not Seenmy's or whomever you decide to judge at the moment. I will say that I am personally not a fan of switching styles from one day to the next, but this is probably due to me having a pretty narrow taste in both what I like wearing and what I think I look good in.

In addition, the guy is a clothing otaku. He values the garment for what it is. And he is a stylist, this gives him an excuse to buy rare/weird items. He can use it in his work AND he can wear it himself. How many times have you read a magazine and one of the best items are listed as "stylist's own"? He might just want to aqcuire somthing to hang it in his closet where he can admire it's technical aspects. I'm not sure he does this himself, but I've seen people on his level of otakuness do exactly that. That some or all of his items are coveted on one or more forums dedicated to fashion does not equal to him being "dressed by the internet". Of course people caring deeply about something will find that they like many of the same things. This is especially a bad argument when some of those designers were first brought to the light on said forums by he guy himself.

You also have a paragraph that is in conflict with itself.  You accuse him of putting on stuff haphazardly that does not fit with whatever else he has on at the beginning. Then at the end you call him out for [wearing] "full Carol Christian Poell one day, full Soloist the next, and then full Visvim the day after." Well, which one is it? I can only remember one time I've seen him in one designer only and that was a CCP suit. I think he's (become) an expert at blending stuff together and yet creating something that feels real and unique to him. But that's just my opinion.

Edited by aoi

"The irony of seenmy complaining about other people being dressed by the internet is hilarious"

this was your statement. yeah you can try clarify all you want via another post, but imo youwere in fact being critical of a post he made. 

then u say some shit like:

"... the reasoning behind a lot of his purchases seem pretty transaperent, because it's definitely internet-hyped pieces"

i dont kno the guy personally, but i do recall that we had a conversation about vintage sneakers a longx2 time ago. this was prob around the time  you got yr first hard on. from what i know is that he knows his shit and is into different shit than he was years ago. MOST of us are.  yeah he might like different aesthetics and wear diff shit on diff days, but honestly who who gives a fuck? he's been around for a while now.  wisdom garnered thru experience.

he isn't some industry new jack or "fashion enthusiast", like you. and yeah that's fine and great that new kids are getting into shit, but what's annoying are the ones like you that try 2 come off like they on some shit or something. yr not saying anything profound, that i haven't heard or hasn't been posted on forums like sufu.

there is no consumption argument. some people are lucky, some aren't. seenmy obviously handles jawns live and goes to events, no? i'd say that makes it much easier to formulate a wardrobe that is at the very least more cohesive to a personal sense of style (don't know how u personally would define it).

fact that you pull out the ronnel pokemon is just so fuckin stupid. we're talkin about seenmy not some toy.

u goin on about personal style and shit. yo how would you define personal style? and yr own personal style? at 18 or 19 i really don't see how you could have developed a respectable or authentic one let alone a authentic personality (not generated by yr beloved media).  most everything you experience is 2nd hand via the internet, some of which i've personally experienced in life, some that'd i've already read/heard b4.  so quit yr bullshit rhetoric already

much as i hate schad his posting style is funny -

i don't get this whole dressed by the internet discussion because as schad says some of us are lucky some of us are not and some of us make money in terms of being able to buy clothes but we all came into contact in real life with these items, took an interest and came to the internet to find more shops/places selling them, inevitably ending at forums to buy/sell, see collections and talk about em. The internet is just a excellent and terrible medium for culture and art, can be used right and wrong ways but how you use it springs from seeing something in real life no? i wouldn't like many clothes if i hadn't seen first hand

^^^^ stfu sundance

nice.  did u see the moebius bbc doc a while back?  jodorowsky up in that shit

no fuck

speaking of jodorowsky lsd and holy mountain was amwesomesa.wesome. 

Edited by Just Another XY

It's like 40 degrees here today on the east coast and I've already seen a few guys in t-shirts and gym shorts like they're trying to make a statement about their masculinity.

I'm sure I should have an opinion on that seemy debate, can anyone offer suggestions?

one suggestion: 

art dealer procures a lifestyle in art cubculture, by way of hardwork maybe, maybe by way of financial/social leverage (is there any other way?), and gets to sample the entire spectrum of art offerings that push the perimeter of what defines artsy stuffs, and attends all the events etc. and promotes/collects it etc. but one day someone contests: u! u dunno this art! u just buy! this art is life, it has messages, it is for thinking! he responds: no... don't you see, the art lifestyle is art. it is the message. and it is the way of thinking. 

maybe no such exchange of words happen. but the art dealer hapily tends to life exchanging on the market a carousel of fanciful things, and the concerned ones continue to concern themselves endlessly with the particulars 

ur turn :D

Just going to preface this by saying this is really long & definitely overwrought, so just a heads-up

Yeah, he's definitely knowledgeable, you can see that even from his post history, and I acknowledged that in my other post. Of course his style has changed, I'm not condemning that, obviously your personal style most likely will, and perhaps even should, change as you grow and mature as a person, it'd be a little odd seeing Seenmy still rocking supreme,dior and vans. But I think the growth should be somewhat organic and unidirectional. It's one thing to go from Real McCoys to Visvim to Junya to Carol Christian Poell - I'm sure there could be a logical path for some people - but deciding to wear full CCP suiting & Drips one day, then full twisted japanese Ameri-Kaji get-up the next, only to change into Paul Harnden or Undercover the next seems something else entirely. The fact that he does "wear diff shit on diff days" is what bothers me. Nothing wrong with experimenting in terms of style to test your boundaries and find what you find the most comfortable and the things that do best align with your personal style, sometimes it's worth emptying your cup to taste some different tea, but it seems like Seenmy has created entire separate wardrobes for himself based on only liking the clothes themselves (and lets face it, most of labels he wears/buys from were or are a dressed by the internet concept, from CCP to PH to Vis to almost everything else) without really consolidating them with himself  - this is where the lack of personal style comes from, in my opinion. 

I'm not really claiming that there's any profundity in my posts, it just started off as a humorous observation of the irony in a post. I don't really consider any of my posts particularly profound to be honest, they're just long, and that's due to an inability to express myself concisely more than anything else. Like I said, not saying I'm the new guard, or that I'm more knowledgable/dress better than him, because that's not really true

Responding to this is where I've had trouble actually typing something that makes sense.

I think a personal style should be at least in some way, an expression of yourself. I'm not saying build a whole intertextual persona from the ground up (E.G. I'm a classy man who appreciates the finer things in life, so I'm only going to listen to jazz, wear classic suiting and drink the finest wines), but at least make the way in which you dress a manifestations of how you want the world to perceive you!  I think it should also be cohesive, or at least look like they're cohesive. An eclectic wardrobe (in terms of brand mix-up) can definitely work as long as it's backed by this kind of personal style - a poster like Fuuma might make something like Engineered Garments blend almost seamlessly with an outfit of Borelli or Brioni (sorry I don't know that much about classic menswear  :P ), because he's styled it in a way that's very much his own and it kind of loses the baggage of its original context. I've seen Seenmy do this in some fits, but in quite a few it seems quite haphazard - like a CCP vest slapped on top of a Soloist jacket almost needlessly, looks quite out of place in my opinion. You have to sort of consolidate their work with your own, rather than simply looking to consolidate their work/ideas with each other, or even more simply, just putting them on together. Also in terms of cohesiveness I think a more singular aesthetic makes sense in having a cohesive personal style more than having the fashion equivalent of dissociative identity disorder, where it's full Carol Christian Poell one day, full Soloist the next, and then full Visvim the day after.

Oh, ok then, this one was completely my misunderstanding, so my apologies. Thought your references with retail (and presumably retail prices) vs online shopping was one of "Respect it or check it" rather than something that showed Seenmy's actual experience wearing/trying on/learning about clothing, which I definitely agree with. So yeah, the Ronnel ~baller~ comparison definitely doesn't make sense in that context, sorry.

That being said, perhaps all of this has to do with the way in which Seenmy actually sees clothing, and perhaps it's the reason he's been so successful in the actual industry. I remember a discussion on Fashionology (I think) centring around CCP, and Fuuma asked Seenmy something along the lines of "What do you take away from Carol's work, I hate to think you only see (I forget the idea that Fuuma mentioned) in his output", and he responded something along the lines of "I don't really think about that/ I'd rather not discuss, I only really care about the product" which is an interesting, albeit odd approach to fashion. He's also talked about how important garment quality is to him, and he's certainly managed to qualify it with some pretty in-depth technical knowledge, or even rather eloquent descriptions of fabrics/treatments - thinking back to CCP here. Perhaps Seenmy doesn't really care about personal style whatsoever, and that the garment is nothing more than an object, which makes him a mannequin to show off good product. 

Even if that's true I have no idea why he'd like PH following that reasoning  :blink:

summary:

you are jealous he has more clothes than you