Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

just interviewed with one of the promising startups according to big media and it was just a painful and unprofessional experience

to top it off, their competitive salary was 50k

(i declined a 3rd round interview)

Would you be given any stake in the company?  If it actually has good potential, that could be a lot more valuable than an extra 10k right now or whatever it was you were expecting them to offer. (and you should have definitely requested more if you had any interest in the job and felt like they wanted you)

Would you be given any stake in the company?  If it actually has good potential, that could be a lot more valuable than an extra 10k right now or whatever it was you were expecting them to offer. (and you should have definitely requested more if you had any interest in the job and felt like they wanted you)

If a company is suggesting a salary that's so low you wouldn't consider it, there's no risk in asking for more. Worst that can happen is they lowball the next guy.

it was actually 35k in base salary and about 15k in options

i definitely felt like they were lowballing me considering i was interviewing for a senior position and probably have put 60-80 hours on the job once hired

35k is ridiculous thats like Japanese company salaries.  When they're lowballin like that, sounds like they dont really want to fill that position, or the company has trouble securing funding, prob spent all their funding on big media PR.    

Speaking of lowballing, a recruiter for videogame division of a well known Japanese electronics company called me 3 months ago looking to fill a position similar to what I do now, after she asked my current compensation, she told me the salary would be like 40% below what I make now, bonuses will be nowhere what I get now, but will get 600 bucks a year to use on their online shop which only has 10% employee discount, buying their products at amazon seems cheaper.      

35k is ridiculous thats like Japanese company salaries.  When they're lowballin like that, sounds like they dont really want to fill that position, or the company has trouble securing funding, prob spent all their funding on big media PR.    

Speaking of lowballing, a recruiter for videogame division of a well known Japanese electronics company called me 3 months ago looking to fill a position similar to what I do now, after she asked my current compensation, she told me the salary would be like 40% below what I make now, bonuses will be nowhere what I get now, but will get 600 bucks a year to use on their online shop which only has 10% employee discount, buying their products at amazon seems cheaper.      

An average college grad's net income at a domestic company is like 100k yen a month (~$1k).   

35k for startup with 15k options is lowball, even for one not hella media hyped, unless u doing part time reception type of work or it's in the middle of nowhere where cost of living is 400$ to rent a three bedroom house.

I meet a lot of people with diff type of salary, one du got me confused because when we were doing paperwork, I asked him how much he makes. says 200k, so I put that there, later on in review he goes, no, it's 200k/month.

but that's hella extreme, most guys in startup sales does 60-100k average.

programmers more like 80k low, 100-120 average, for starting, on companies like pop games or whatever that makes those free to play apps

I can't say I know too much about the startup scene, but from what I've read, your average non-founder employee tends to dramatically overvalue equity stakes in startups. Your odds of cashing in are low, even if it's hyped, and let's say that hypothetically it does IPO or get acquired, you're left with a lot less than you originally thought because of all the dilution from funding rounds. The extra salary is probably worth more in most instances, especially since you get that now vs being locked into the options for a few years.

and yeah Japanese companies are fuckin weird and super conservative. Interviewed with one of them in the US, apparently it's a mess of Japanese nationals who speak Japanese in the office and American hires.

In the process of driving across the country, probably the best worst thing I've ever done.

I just got back from the same thing. Flew from Ca to Nashville to meet a friend who bought a car out there, and we drove it back to Sacramento. Took the 40 the whole way. TN is cool, West Memphis fucking sucks, as does all of Arkansas, Texas has a 40 story tall cross and then nothing but fast food and sad, fat people, but New Mexico and Arizona are incredible. 4 days straight in a car is too much with anyone tho.

Working at a startup, I can tell you that many employees here would be straight up insulted if they were offered less than 90k starting straight out of school. Seems pretty high to me considering every other person is practically coming out of school with an engineering degree, but I guess if demand suggests it, then so be it. I couldn't imagine working for 1k a month, let alone 35k a year. I may be somewhat jaded living in a city of overpaid tech yuppies. Also equity is pure hype, not to mention funding round dilution and taxes, you really don't come out on top unless you are part of something huge and one of the first handful of employees. Its just another carrot on a stick for people joining the company.

Edited by Fycus

90K is pretty much the starting salary for new grads from good engineering programs at established tech companies.  Whats ridiculous is the sign on bonuses.  I have friends who are tech recruiters who have to put on dog and pony shows because they're competing with Facebook for talent, and competing against FB's sign on bonuses.  

Equity is pretty much useless.  It can even hurt you financially say if your options expire before your company IPOs, and for some reason you dont want to loose them, you decide to exercise them you're liable for the taxes even though you did not sell.

nguzunguzus skycell album is really fucking blowing my mind and i dunno why... i just wanna listen to weird music all day. it's kinda relaxing

Have you listened to the mixtape Cut 4 Me by Kelela?

you ever go back in history and look at the posts you made on the internet years and years ago? you were dumber then. more of a jerk. you're an embarrassment to the future yourself.

i'll never know if i'm getting better either because when i look at the posts i made a week ago i'm instilled with the same feelings of regret.

the only thing that keeps me going is a train of posirep

well duh

join interest clubs based around some activity, make a couchsurfing account and check out some events, don't be afraid to hang out in social places (bars, clubs) by yourself

speaking as someone who is facing the same weird problem of not knowing how to make friends in the real world