Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

had a similar thought the other day. i feel like for the rest of my life I'm basically stuck to societal norms (graduate, get a job, find a wife, have kids, midlife crisis, retire, die). I kind of want to do something bold as fuck. like backpack across europe or something, idk.

Definitely go do something, no doubt about that, but don't think the wife/kids/career, etc is a bad thing in any way. Sure, some people don't choose wisely, or get themselves stuck in a shitty job, but some of the happiest people I know are 40, married, and have a reliable job that affords them a really fun lifestyle. A good friend of mine surfs SF every day, snowboards all winter, camps with his friends, drives on weeklong roadtrips to Baja...all this stuff, and he has a family and teaches at a highschool full time. It's all in how you execute your life in the future, there's no set program that says it has to be shitty. I think it'd be lame to be 40 and single and trying to pick up girls at shitty bars on the weekend and eating cold leftovers midweek, etc. It might not be not as glamourous as you might imagine...

had a similar thought the other day. i feel like for the rest of my life I'm basically stuck to societal norms (graduate, get a job, find a wife, have kids, midlife crisis, retire, die). I kind of want to do something bold as fuck. like backpack across europe or something, idk.

backpacking around europe isn't bold as fuck, everyone does that shit. traveling around europe without a backpack/luggage on the other hand...