Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

fuck man, that's one of my worst fears ever. Accidentally hitting someone with my car...shit sends shivers down my spine. Happened to a guy I knew, but the kid was on a skateboard and wasn't seriously injured though. I figure with the amount of time I spend driving something like that HAS to eventually happen, just out of statistics. I'd tell him to document EVERYTHING. Get the police report, contact his insurance agent, even get weather report printouts and road conditions...EVERYTHING. Even if it is his fault he'll want to show that he was being as attentive as possible. Accidents happen, normal human beings recognize that and understand that shit just happens...hopefully the guy he hit understands that it wasn't malicious or intentional.

Back in my freshman year at uni some bicycle hit me while I was in my car. I was pullin through a crosswalk when I heard a soft thump come from behind me. I thought maybe a friend saw my car and gave it a thump or something to say hello. I brake and crane my head backwards and I see a bike and a crumpled heap, so I'm like WTF. Prior to this, I remember I looked twice each way and there was no one there ... there were also people waiting at the cross walk that gave me the go-ahead to pull through.

Anyways, ambulances and police come, and dude is taken off to the hospital. Wasn't wearing a helmet, and he flipped over my trunk from the driver's side and straight up hit his head on the pavement. First couple days I was scared as fuck that I killed him. He was in critical condition going through surgery and all that. I felt horrible (though, it was his fault). Police question me, I tell them everything I know. I meet up with an insurance guy, we take pics of the cross walk from multiple angles, he finds witnesses, we get things figured out.

Turns out guy was in a rush to get to class or something and came barrelling out of no where at like ~20-25 mph? (that's what the police told me since the damage he sustained from the crash indicated he had to AT LEAST be going at that speed). Probably thought he could dodge my car by going behind it, but I guess he miscalculated and clipped me.

Eventually, he recovered though, and when asked about it, he said he didn't remember anything and bore no hard feelings to me. I was relieved. But a couple months later it turns out his family decided to sue me. The police told me that it would be highly unlikely that they'd be allowed to since it was his fault in the first place. Also, my parents assured me that if it came down to it, we'd get a good lawyer and fight it out. Thankfully, it never did.

Just wanted to share I guess ... though my situation was different from your dad's. Just wait to see what happens. Were the injuries serious?

^ thanks for the replies, guys

my dad said the guy came out of nowhere. this happened right near a college, and the area is known for being high-traffic. from the sound of it, the guy isn't too seriously injured, but he did get taken to the hospital.

this is the worst possible time to have this type of crap happen, primarily because in 2 weeks, my parents are supposed to be headed to europe for some religious trip. i've never seen my mom this pissed. she just took off with my uncle and my DSLR to the scene to take pics.

WTF

my dad just called home and said he hit some bicyclist accidentally. dude got sent to the hospital.

FUCK. anybody ever deal with this shit? we have insurance and whatnot, but still. this is fucking crazy.

I've been cycling around most of Sydney city as a primary mode of transport for about 5 years. Only ever had one accident. Had a guy pull out at a T-intersection as I was riding straight past it. I had right of way but he just didn't look before he moved. This was literally the only time I can remember not making eye contact with a waiting driver at an intersection. I just figured he must have seen me since it was dusk, I was in bright clothing, and I had multiple flashing lights attached. WRONG.

Anyway, he hit me as he was pulling out so it was fairly low speed and I just kind of jumped backwards off the bike as it went flying across the road. The guy was pretty shaken up. I was pretty shaken up. Exchanged numbers and I told him I'd give him a call if I needed replacement bike parts. Messaged him later to say it was all good.

^ glad it all worked out and that you weren't hurt too bad

the bicyclist turned out to be some college student who tried to cross the middle of a busy street. my dad was driving through when, out of nowhere, the guy speeds past and grazes the car.

he was taken to the hospital. no damage to his bike, but there's a dent and a broken headlight on the left side of the car.

we're glad he wasn't seriously hurt. my dad's pretty shaken up. what are the chances of him suing? my mom, being the pessimist she is, is waiting for further information of him suing us. her rationale: "no way he's staying in the hospital and not suing."

technically, isn't it illegal to just ride right in the middle of the street? this is kind of like jay-walking except with a bike.

^ glad it all worked out and that you weren't hurt too bad

the bicyclist turned out to be some college student who tried to cross the middle of a busy street. my dad was driving through when, out of nowhere, the guy speeds past and grazes the car.

he was taken to the hospital. no damage to his bike, but there's a dent and a broken headlight on the left side of the car.

we're glad he wasn't seriously hurt. my dad's pretty shaken up. what are the chances of him suing? my mom, being the pessimist she is, is waiting for further information of him suing us. her rationale: "no way he's staying in the hospital and not suing."

technically, isn't it illegal to just ride right in the middle of the street? this is kind of like jay-walking except with a bike.

I always get pissed off when I see other cyclists do irresponsible things like this. Gives all cyclists a bad name. Never gonna get fair treatment on the road with so many dickheads around :(

US law seems so crazy sometimes. On what grounds would he sue if he was the one riding recklessly/illegally?

I think I corrupted a small boy sitting next to me on my flight yesterday

I was on anti-histamines watching that hot scene with natalie portman and mila kunis in black swan and I think he may have taken his attention away from his fast&furious 5 to gaze at my screen