Miscellaneous Musings (Limited Edition)

I find it hilarious when people complain that there wasn't enough police during the NHL playoffs in vancouver and then people bitch and complain about how many police there are during the fireworks.

shut the fuck up.

Started reading the road at like 6:00 this evening, read two of three hundred pages. Got sidetrack with dinner and stuff and now it's 2 am. Can't decide if I should have coffee and finish it off or just go to bed.

Who am I kidding? Bed. I'm ridiculously sleepy.

Started reading the road at like 6:00 this evening, read two of three hundred pages. Got sidetrack with dinner and stuff and now it's 2 am. Can't decide if I should have coffee and finish it off or just go to bed.

Who am I kidding? Bed. I'm ridiculously sleepy.

The Road is amazing, but you should be able to blow through it super fast. Really quick read.

question for people who have read American Psycho and seen the movie.

In the movie when bateman doesn't kill his secretary he shows what seems to be a legit sense of sympathy or self doubt. Something as though he doesn't want to kill her. I don't know if that makes any sense, but he just acts with more emotion or at least Bale portrays it that way. Anyways, how is this conveyed in the book? Is it worth reading the book? Does it convey much more than the movie?

Also, did anyone get the impression that Bale was acting similar (but in a really fucked up way) to Jim Carrey (especially in Ace Ventura)?

question for people who have read American Psycho and seen the movie.

In the movie when bateman doesn't kill his secretary he shows what seems to be a legit sense of sympathy or self doubt. Something as though he doesn't want to kill her. I don't know if that makes any sense, but he just acts with more emotion or at least Bale portrays it that way. Anyways, how is this conveyed in the book? Is it worth reading the book? Does it convey much more than the movie?

Also, did anyone get the impression that Bale was acting similar (but in a really fucked up way) to Jim Carrey (especially in Ace Ventura)?

Read the book, infinitely better than the movie (although it's good, there's only like 30% of the book in there). One of my favorites, you don't regret it.

if the donkey was going to completely capitulate to the elephant's demands, why didn't it do it a month ago?

2011: when the empire ended ;)

Why didn't they do it a month ago in this mythical place? Elephants and Donkeys were politically posturing.

The deal that they're voting on today seems to be a bizarre amalgam of what both sides sort of, kind of, not really wanted.

So we'll start with spending cuts of $1T (where $ = fairyland currency) over 10 years (only $100B a year - not much) and only raise the debt ceiling by $1T. Then a "special bipartisan elephant/donkey committee" will be formed to search for a "balanced" approach of reducing deficit spending which may or may not include a mix of spending cuts and tax revenue increases. They're targeting an additional $1.5T. They have till November 23 to figure something out. Then the fairyland Congress has until December 23 to agree on it, along with something about the balanced budget amendment. If they don't agree, then automatic spending cuts will be triggered across the board, cutting the budgets of programs both parties like (which I guess is supposed to be an incentive for them to agree on something instead of letting the automatic cuts occur). There's no way in hell any plan this "committee" comes up with will pass the fairyland Congress if it contains any sort of tax revenue increase. So in the end, it'll come all from spending cuts just like the Elephants wanted. The only thing Donkeys may succeed in to a certain extent is protecting excessive cuts to Social Security and/or Medicare.

What's frustrating is that this entire debt ceiling debacle is a self-manufactured crisis. By having a ceiling and acting uncertain about whether or not we're going to raise it, we've created uncertainty in the strength of the dollar and made investors question whether or not the USA is a sound investment. Without a debt ceiling, none of this would have happened, the strength of the US economy and credit worthiness would never have been questioned. There was no doubt in if the US would default on our debt payments until we created that doubt. The only other country in the world with a debt ceiling is Denmark and they've purposely set their ceiling so high that they'll never reach it and thus never need to raise it.