What's our budget?

I wouldn't say there's really a budget. I can't recall the last time I had a decent pair of winter gloves. So long as they are extremely durable, weatherproof and decently attractive, I'll likely pay the price. ( Just so long as you're not recommending some next level Aitor Throup gloves for 10k.)

So, guys, what are we doing for winter gloves?

I'd say waterproof gloves are usually key, unless in significantly subfreezing envoirment.

For waterproof gloves:

Underarmour put nice looking glove out (well still has the logo on it):

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens-ua-grotto-skisnowboard-gloves/pid1240527-001

Also Arc'teryx is always a go to:

http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&Gender=mens&category=Gloves

A lot of local messangers swear by Sealskinz (especially their bike overshoes) and the branding is not too obnoxious:

http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves

for non waterproof gloves:

the Veilance Facet Glove is kinda nice (well its just a regular Arc'teryx glove without the branding):

http://veilance.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Facet-Glove

but nice vintage leather gloves are just all-over:

http://www.etsy.com/search/vintage?q=leather%20gloves%20men%20black&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery

Edited by Simon_

The Rokker Company

seCHvv1.png

K0oDIUZl.jpg

5xgPyROl.png

Rokker Revolution:

• Classic comfort fit with waterproof zipper
  • Made of 100% schoeller®-Denim-Dynatec (a revolutionary combination of schoeller®-dynatec and denim, thus extremely high resistance to abrasion as well as a genuine Jeans-look)
  • Integrated c_changeâ„¢ membrane. This membrane reacts independently to changing temperatures and activities and is 100% waterproof and windproof. It closes when exposed to cold and opens in response to warmth, the prevailing humidity and body moisture are taken into account in this process. In doing so, not only temperature but also air and body moisture are balanced out. c_changeâ„¢ ensures the ideal body climate.
  • Protector pockets in knees and hips of 100% schoeller®-Denim-Dynatec
  • Included removable d3o-protectors. The d3oâ„¢ CE certified protectors provide maximum comfort through softness and flexibility, but when impacted at high speeds d3oâ„¢ displays excellent shock absorption as the intelligent molecules inside lock together, spreading the force over the whole pad and offering so an excellent protection.
  • Without rivets which could scratch the bike
  • Easy care (washable at 40°, ironing after wash increases the water repellency)

So... tech + raw denim: best of both worlds?

need some suggestions guys. moved to montreal this year and it's starting to get cold... and it's only going to get colder. i'm looking to get a nice jacket that will deal with the montreal winter (and i don't want to just cave in and buy a goose or north face). any suggestions for lightweight water/weatherproof/warm/padded jackets that will be able to combat the cold while not being very bulky? checked out some of the arc'teryx stuff and am interested in it, just wanted to get some of your guy's input also. 

need some suggestions guys. moved to montreal this year and it's starting to get cold... and it's only going to get colder. i'm looking to get a nice jacket that will deal with the montreal winter (and i don't want to just cave in and buy a goose or north face). any suggestions for lightweight water/weatherproof/warm/padded jackets that will be able to combat the cold while not being very bulky? checked out some of the arc'teryx stuff and am interested in it, just wanted to get some of your guy's input also. 

I think Arcteryx and Veilance would certainly work if the aesthetic is what you are looking for. I have a insulated Veilance jacket and despite it being very very light, its super warm. Another option is getting a shell and seperate liner.

Norse Projects Rokkvi Neoshell

N55-0048-9999-01.jpg

looks a bit like cheaper J34-GTPL with down

J34-GTPL-01.jpg

more here

I have the Rokkvil parka and I have to say it definitely doesn't feel cheap. It actually feels quite similar to a Veilance jacket I have, the neoshell is just slightly more rigid than Veilance shells but still on the softer side of what you typically see on waterproof outerwear.

So far I've been very impressed by the quality, fit and design. its too warm to wear it yet, but it feels very warm too.

Aether apparel

thanks, the jackets look awesome. i'll definitely check it out.

I think Arcteryx and Veilance would certainly work if the aesthetic is what you are looking for. I have a insulated Veilance jacket and despite it being very very light, its super warm. Another option is getting a shell and seperate liner.

i think at the temps that montreal dips into during the winter, functionality is the most essential aspect to look at right now. i mean ideally i'm into long black drapey clothes, but a lot of the designers i like generally don't have warmth in mind, more aesthetic. 

but really just looking for something very warm, waterproof, and light. i ride my bike a lot so breathability is important also. i'll look into the shells and liners, but i think i'm leaning more towards an insulated jacket.

@Tigerprawn

Do you think the Veilance trousers are worth the price difference compared to Outlier or is it comparing apples to oranges? I've always been interested in purchasing trousers from other higher tech brands such as Veilance and Acronym, but wasn't quite sure if others thought that the small differences such as materials or details were worth the difference in price.

But then again, most people I guess wouldn't care or be bothered by the price tag. I just wanted to see someone who's own both thought about the differences between the two companies.

It's a really tough call, man. I owned it last season and found that I was not fond of how the insulation stops at the waist and, even if you wanted to, you can't really layer underneath due to how it's cut relatively close to the body. If you rock the other winter essentials--toque, scarf/neckwarmer, gloves and insulated boots--I think you'll be fine. Any colder than -20, though, and you'll be happier with a heavier alternative.