Aitor Throup's recently re-launched website is a treasure trove of information. A couple details I found particularly interesting:

Mongolia Riding Jacket

QRdrEiMl.png

The Mongolia Riding Jacket, in Harris Tweed has been meticulously engineered at the extremes of ergonomics, to provide warmth, comfort, and a perfect fit, however it is worn. On foot, the coat is worn close to the body in a straight 'tube' shape, with an elongated, heat-retaining 'fishtail' back design. For riding, the wearer first expands the jacket to its full volume using its dual zip system, then the central, padded lower-back section is pulled forward with a simple finger-loop to provide a secure, comfortable built-in seat while other back fabric is securely tied round the legs to complete a weather-resistant 'L' shape, using the attached knee straps. Storm cuffs ensure the coats' power-mesh lining moves independently with the wearer's body; A.T. Studio's unique laser-cut, front-bonded button system ensures easy release. The jacket features four pockets, including one inside pocket. The fabric is finished with a DWR water-repellent finish and has fully water-proof zips, as well as a fully adjustable hood with A.T. Studio's unique hardware-free toggle adjustment system, which can be expanded to accommodate an actual horse-riding helmet. Also available are the leather-palmed Mongolia Riding Gloves with Harris Tweed uppers (matching the jacket).

Skanda Jacket

38hkXyKl.png

A power-mesh lining has been heat-bonded to the inside of the jacket, a process which not only keeps the water out but also results in a camouflage-like randomized pattern on the garment's interior...

Saxophone jacket

j1eg43ll.png

It is made from worsted wool, edge-bonded to a power-mesh lining... The collar is lined with thermo-reactive film...

Saxophone trousers

7dF6CZIl.png

They are made of the ultimate luxury suiting fabric, Super 130s micro-herringbone worsted wool and — unusually — have a full power-mesh lining...

Funeral Hat

5bAT803l.png

lined with comfortable power mesh lining...

Hang on..

Can somebody explain how a down jacket can give up moisture sooner then a GTX shell??

I thought that the point of having a down jacket was higher insulation and  that down had downsides as it kept moisture in between the feathers. And therefore dried slower than loft

Wouldn't a primaloft jacket  been better here??

You're absolutely correct. There are two ways of looking at it though. One is "what is the best performing laminate/insulation package" and the other is "how do we make a down jacket that integrates some modern tech". I'm thinking norse was going for the latter.

You're absolutely correct. There are two ways of looking at it though. One is "what is the best performing laminate/insulation package" and the other is "how do we make a down jacket that integrates some modern tech". I'm thinking norse was going for the latter.

So function over form over function ?  :ph34r:

Hang on..

Can somebody explain how a down jacket can give up moisture sooner then a GTX shell??

I thought that the point of having a down jacket was higher insulation and  that down had downsides as it kept moisture in between the feathers. And therefore dried slower than loft

Wouldn't a primaloft jacket  been better here??

Down insulation has gotten a tech upgrade in the past year or so — Feathers Fly: Sierra Designs, DownTek scuffle over water-resistant down technology at Outdoor Retailer

Nice article .. I have seen the sleeping bags and the Rei jackets..

I haven't had the pleasure yet of trying them out. Now with that article I am not too sure which one to pick for coming winter..

Thing I am wondering about is how much better the insulation in the wet is in comparison to Prima loft. Further more how much moisture will the fabric and space in between retain after it has shed water of the feathers. Remembering that the down is still trapped in a compartment and the humid air has nowhere to go but out.. But with the water damp in between won't that cool of quicker and return to liquid form?? And make it the jacket wet on the inside even faster ?

Pound for pound, primaloft and especially coreloft will be lighter, more compressible, quicker drying, more resilient to compression and less likely to shift around than down. Picking for performance, down is an unlikely choice. But this is not a performance piece, it's a down jacket.

During wear, the temperature inside the insulative filling will average between the inside and outside temperatures, which will prevent condensation from forming. Once you stop wearing it, pockets of condensation may form under low temperatures. Down sleeping bags need to be air dried out for this reason, as should classic down jackets.

This jacket will probably perform better than, say, a canada goose jacket. It won't perform like an arc'teryx belay jacket. I'm assuming from norses catalogue that t's purpose is closer to the former than to the latter.

Thanks man but I wasn't referring to the Norse jacket, just down jackets and sleeping bags in general..

With treating the feathers with nano tech h20 repellence, isn't a return to liquid form forming quicker if the feathers shed the gas like water particles? 

I'll get my coat .. The fabric nerd alert sounded eons ago..

I think treating down to be water repellent is intended as a preventative measure against the absorption of moisture, not neccesarily to aid in vapor transmission. I'm no walter white but i expect that down does not actually absorb water in vapor form, just as a liquid.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Pound for pound, primaloft and especially coreloft will be lighter, more compressible, quicker drying, more resilient to compression and less likely to shift around than down. Picking for performance, down is an unlikely choice. But this is not a performance piece, it's a down jacket.

This jacket will probably perform better than, say, a canada goose jacket. It won't perform like an arc'teryx belay jacket. I'm assuming from norses catalogue that t's purpose is closer to the former than to the latter.

Not necessarily true.  A high-end down 700+ is still has the highest warmth to weight ratio and will compress more than a comparable Coreloft or Primaloft piece.  That being said, I absolutely love Coreloft and haven't really touch my down jackets since.

Not necessarily true.  A high-end down 700+ is still has the highest warmth to weight ratio and will compress more than a comparable Coreloft or Primaloft piece.  That being said, I absolutely love Coreloft and haven't really touch my down jackets since.

Everyone is always saying that down should compress better than coreloft, but in practice i've yet to see a down jacket that compresses as well as a coreloft filled one. Maybe it's because down jackets require excessive compartmentalisation in their pattern.