Besides the the ds-sl1, and that Undercover watch hole glove, what other techwear are designed with watches in mind?

nsUQKKrl.png

It's funny - I think of that watch zip as solving a problem related to the thumb loops, not delivery of tech functionality vis a vis watches (I was asked about the same feature of the ds-j5 by an architect so had to have a good answer)

It's true about osti but it's a different problem. The zipper requires articulation unlike a window. Btw I have a norrona hardshell with a watch window and it didn't line up often and also fogged up

Wasn't too well received first time around in urban techwear, but Proof NY had a 30% off sale today so I ordered some of the Nomad pants to try out. $141 shipped, more than $100 cheaper than New OGs with almost the same exact specs and they do free returns/exchanges as well. Worth a try I figure.

Edited by brooks_

A little off-topic, but I was recently given some Ministry of Supply stuff and thought I share some pictures of it. It's not really my kind of thing, nor I imagine many of yours, but figured if ever there was any interest, it would be here.

I haven't done anything in these other than try them on, so can't really say how they perform. Everything is pretty comfy due to the stretch, so for those of you who need business-y attire for the office, might be a good option (I don't).

Apollo Shirts:

Up close they look like a polo shirt kind of material, but further away it might pass off as oxford cloth. The collar and cuffs are really stiff, maybe they ease up after a wash. Doesn't say who makes the material, so can't comment on the NASA Heat Regulation stuff... maybe proprietary? These were the "slim" version, and they're really quite trim.

IgyObtT.jpg

8KtM78y.jpg

BI2FPuT.jpg

Aero Slacks:

Again, don't know who makes the fabric. Compared to Schoeller Dryskin, the fabric MoS uses is much thinner and has a little less stretch. The inner face feels almost more like a microfiber cloth. The laminated rubber around the back pockets is a little strange to me. Not exactly sure what purpose it serves.

I do actually like the rubber in the waistband to keep your shirts tucked in, but I haven't worn a tucked in shirt in years so...

Poured some water on them from the sink and the repellency was pretty good. Rolled right off and didn't leave any water behind.

u01oUIW.jpg

eGw0a2N.jpg

cdo5hsS.jpg

mHQACka.jpg

DZ41osG.jpg

yWHhS73.jpg

Anyway, there you go. This stuff is obviously marketed towards tech-industry types with discretionary income and is not so much urban techwear, but pretty nice for what it is.

I'm looking for a raincoat. My old one was shit. I need a water proof one but I want it to look good too. Any pics or names is helpful. I'm thinking urban tech style but I'm open to anything. Looking in the 100-200 range. Point me to another thread if this is the wrong place. Thanks!

haha. ok, I fess up, I'm selling shit for a holy grail CP jacket fund :blush: . Those CP items aren't readily available though while the ds-sl1 is for sale right now.

Try to find the reissued Metropolis (or the dynafil mille miglia) if you can, as it's in a more modern fit. The original run of urban protection items were all very large fitting. I've owned the Munch, Metropolis and REM jackets in M and they were each around 23 p2p.

Wasn't too well received first time around in urban techwear, but Proof NY had a 30% off sale today so I ordered some of the Nomad pants to try out. $141 shipped, more than $100 cheaper than New OGs with almost the same exact specs and they do free returns/exchanges as well. Worth a try I figure.

why werent they "well received"?  

I just bought some because they look the same, and are hella cheap compared to Outlier.

Most people seemingly took offense that they piggy-backed Outlier's mission and essentially ripped off the New OGs, but that's the case with almost any clothing after a while. Look how many brands of jeans there are now -- you don't see people complaining that they are Levi's knockoffs. And as long as Outlier keeps raising their prices, they're going to allow for people to come in and undercut them. It's good for everyone to have competition. It gives consumers a choice and will keep Outlier on their toes.

Plus, I've been waiting what feels like 3 or 4 months at least for Outlier to restock gray New OGs in my size and if I can't get them from Outlier, you better believe I'm gonna jump on Proof's for $100 less.

Most people seemingly took offense that they piggy-backed Outlier's mission and essentially ripped off the New OGs, but that's the case with almost any clothing after a while. Look how many brands of jeans there are now -- you don't see people complaining that they are Levi's knockoffs. And as long as Outlier keeps raising their prices, they're going to allow for people to come in and undercut them. It's good for everyone to have competition. It gives consumers a choice and will keep Outlier on their toes.

Plus, I've been waiting what feels like 3 or 4 months at least for Outlier to restock gray New OGs in my size and if I can't get them from Outlier, you better believe I'm gonna jump on Proof's for $100 less.

Figured as much.

People like that are victims of marketing. 

Its never about who does something first, its about who does it the best while giving the consumer the best value. 

Do those same people hate their Merino T's because they weren't the first to make merino T's?

marketing/identity??? i don't agree with paying less for something that is the same/similar from a design standpoint but has no identity or is an attempt to cash in on a rising trend.
ex: buying zara product because it's redolent of rick owens or any other designer who's huge atm.
(essentially, lame reappropriation/blatant rip-offs)

i don't think it's right to mention levis either. they might have been the granddaddy of all denims but so many variations exist on the theme of "denims" that it's too broad in scope to count, imho.

proof ny basically used a bunch of lame-o buzzwords and douche marketing to try to get in on this "tech" action because it's getting big right now, really. 

outlier was one of my first ever tech brand exposures and they did it earnestly, to fulfill a purpose; they knew what it was they wanted to do and where they wanted their product to end up (or so i'd assume).
their vision's clear

proof ny's just biting outlier; soullessly and with no originality at all.
that's why it got received horribly (and deserves to be) 

but that's just what i think.

outlier was one of my first ever tech brand exposures and they did it earnestly, to fulfill a purpose; they knew what it was they wanted to do and where they wanted their product to end up (or so i'd assume).

their vision's clear

proof ny's just biting outlier; soullessly and with no originality at all.

that's why it got received horribly (and deserves to be) 

but that's just what i think.

Like I said, marketing and good copy. 

All businesses are in it for profit, thats it.   

If you think otherwise thats on you.

and I have some Outlier stuff...but lets keep it real. 

They did a good job of selling their product.  Kudos to them, its impressive. 

You're paying $100 extra for all that feel good stuff. 

Its what some people pay tens of thousands of dollars to learn how to do in business school.

Edited by jilla82

^you're paying $100 extra to be OG like their OG 4 season.  

but really.  Obviously they're going to look the same.  The visual design of the pants is really nothing special (fuck, the most astonishing thing about my slim dungarees is that they have crotch reinforcement?).  The selling point of these pants is the functional ability of the technical fabrics.  You can't compare that kind of stuff just by looking.

I haven't handled Proof's shit so I can't really make any statements about how they wear and work.  I just want people to wake the fuck up and realize that there might actually be a difference that might warrant (????) the $100 prince differential beyond how a garment "looks"

edit:

The names of the Aitor Throup garments on railso are hilariously bad hahahaha.  "Lead Highly Engineered Short Jacket"

Get your hands on the veil jacket tho (paratrooper).  That shit is killer.

Edited by Nebulae

^because they probably only have 1 sz m or something

Idk how many retailers are receiving how many of each garment but everything is made by hand so everything is extremely limited in number.

also where does it say anything about waterproofing?

Like I said, marketing and good copy. 

All businesses are in it for profit, thats it.   

If you think otherwise thats on you.

and I have some Outlier stuff...but lets keep it real. 

They did a good job of selling their product.  Kudos to them, its impressive. 

You're paying $100 extra for all that feel good stuff. 

Its what some people pay tens of thousands of dollars to learn how to do in business school.

i've never spoken to abe or tyler, but i'd guess they're still slightly surprised they can make a living out of their company.

what you're paying the extra money for is (among other things) the effort they're putting into r&d to continue innovating.  a company like proof doesn't have to do that so much.  i'm guessing it'll be a while before they release a short-sleeve tech poncho unless kanye wears one and it all blows up

the funny thing about tech is that technology is always evolving and it requires research.  hence i will always respect and choose to support a brand that demonstrates that level of commitment, whether it's outlier, acronym or nike

i'm not going to knock proof's hustle but am amazed that their outlier bite extends to their copy and photo campaigns.

anyway, you should probably keep your opinions to yourself until you develop one worth listening to.

I dunno. I've read some good stuff about Proof's customer service plus they have free returns and exchanges (albeit not as liberal as Outlier's). We'll see. Like I said, for $140 shipped, the Nomad's are worth a try at least. If they suck, back they go. I still have OGs and will buy again in the future depending on who has the color I want when I need it.

This may be a random time to ask, but what does Outlier do with all the worn, washed and returned pants? Are they 'reconditioned' and re-sold as new or do they all go to sample sales and the like?

IMHO, the decision should just boil down to whom you'd like to support. Lets frame the money in this conversation as 'support' instead of the soulless digits that we're used to dealing with. 

If you buy from Outlier, that's 240support to Abe (and company). Years ago as a daily commuter, he had this genius idea. He then took that largely intangible thing and injected the time, hard work, emotional labor and balls needed to ship it to you. It would be safe to say that he was/is the pioneer for this facet of tech. That he up to now, without much external direction, still continues to do so – all with a ridiculous 45 day post-wash return policy. 

If you buy from Proof, that's 190support points to the other guys. These are people who are (quite blatantly) using a map and framework that Outlier pioneered (to undercut them, to make a profit). It is very possible that they, if not for Outlier, might have not even arrived at the same idea.

If not for Outlier, they might not know how to: a. write their copy, b. art direct their photos, c. operate their business, and d. set parameters and *benchmarks for their service and return policy. They, if left to their own wits, without Outlier and this new market that is very possibly a byproduct of Outlier/Abe's hard work, might not even know what to do next.

Who do you want to support now?

Edited by WillKhitie

i've never spoken to abe or tyler, but i'd guess they're still slightly surprised they can make a living out of their company.

what you're paying the extra money for is (among other things) the effort they're putting into r&d to continue innovating.  a company like proof doesn't have to do that so much.  i'm guessing it'll be a while before they release a short-sleeve tech poncho unless kanye wears one and it all blows up

the funny thing about tech is that technology is always evolving and it requires research.  hence i will always respect and choose to support a brand that demonstrates that level of commitment, whether it's outlier, acronym or nike

i'm not going to knock proof's hustle but am amazed that their outlier bite extends to their copy and photo campaigns.

anyway, you should probably keep your opinions to yourself until you develop one worth listening to.

come on breh...I have on a pair of keirns right now....so im not anti Outlier.

I personally dont care all about that feel good stuff.  The hell do you need a "tech Poncho" for in the first place?  

There is nothing that special about these clothes...they didnt make the fabric...they just cut it a certain way.  There is nothing proprietary about it. 

What exactly were they first to do anyway?   Make dress pants with Schoeller?   

Thats not a new idea...just an old idea w/ a different fabric.

I think where Proof went wrong is trying to stylize there copy like Outlier...someone like me gives no fucks about pictures in the desert or some long J. Peterman esque story to go along w/ the clothing.  Just give me my shit at a good price. 

Any suggestions for brands that do some women's techwear or techwear-esque stuff? Or any good sources for inspo...

Women only: Hillary Day, Iva Jean, Contourwear, Erin Snow

Men & Women:

Acronym, Outlier, Aether, maharishi, Christopher Raeburn, Undercover, Loro Piana, Rapha, Nau, nanamica, Klattermusen, Icebreaker, Helly Hansen, Ibex, Vulpine, howies (e.g. Earhart Ventile Jacket), Holden (e.g. Meridian Kevlar Jacket), stio (e.g Shades Schoeller Blazer), Stutterheim's Lydia

Inspiration:

The Supermodern Wardrobe, Iris Van Herpen, Mary Mattingly, Hillary Day Q&A, I wish they made this for Girls

Edited by SuE

@SuE 

I never really understood why Maharishi is considered "techwear."

Isn't it just streetwear?  I have a piece by them and I browsed around their shop as well and nothing really stood out to me as being incredibly focused on performance other than maybe the templebead sno-pant convert-ability?

maharishi as far as i remember:

-templebead (patented)

-snocord

-covertability of snopants

-x palladium boots

-deatachable bag jacket

-polo top

-modular bag system

but yeah military gear influenced streetwear sounds fair enough

Edited by danii

maharishi was a borderline inclusion but I figuered it could fit in beside the fashion oriented techwear brands (Raeburn, Undercover, LP). Also most techwear brands treat women's summer wear as plain sports wear or don't even bother at all.

^cool cool

I just wasn't sure if i was missing out on any hidden gems that just weren't marketed well.

I did pick up that parachute jacket tho.  Haven't gotten around to wearing it much since it's just too hot, but it is super cool.  Detachable bag can be a hassle since it's attached via a loop strap (think backpack strap) but when worn without the waist tie the hanging bag has a v interesting silhouette 

Don't forget that Maharishi has stood at the base of 'streetwear' inspired by utilitarian/tech garments.

Hardy Blechman has been a huge influence on many if not all current streetwear designers. It's a know your classics thing.

Not half as underestimated and almost forgotten as Griffin Laundry though, still going hard every season, copied many times but people easily forget where it all started.