I've been really intrigued at the idea of a flexible screen incorporated into a garment for a while now, and I think the level of tech I'd imagined using is finally available. Years back the snowboard brand Analog did a jacket with a LED screen and softswitch technology built into the forearm of one of their jackets, and you linked your smartphone via Bluetooth to transfer data to and from the interface. It was limited to receiving a phone call or playing music, but I was blown away at the concept, and always wanted to see it pursued. I haven't seen anyone dig into anything like this, but I think I'm going to. I've been watching Samsung's Amoled screen being introduced for a bit now, and was curious if something like this was introduced into apparel, what would you want from it, or would you want it at all? I'm imagining a 2" X 4" flexible touchscreen display on the left forearm of a jacket underneath a clear and waterproof cover, and being able to do most or all of the functions of a phone from an arm mounted screen. Would be amazing if it was modular so you could move it into other garments as needed, but that's probably a ways off. I know it's going to be expensive at first, but I'm pretty fucking geeked out at the idea of rarely if ever having to hold my phone in my hand, especially in inclement weather.

Edited by OkayOkay

my cousin's boyfriend designed this product which gets at the same thing- 

it's not super intuitive to use,  didn't give it enough time to get fluent/competent but I love the concept of interfacing closer with my smartphone and i would fuck with a light shell or something with a tacpad/pip-boy on the left forearm in an instant

200-OUTLIER-GrayPoncho-BlueFrontMan4.jpg205-OUTLIER-GrayPoncho-Messed.jpg

• UV Poncho
  • Outlier Ultralight Doubleweave: with self-cleaning Schoeller NanoSphere® treatment
  • 21% Nylon (micro), 73% Nylon, 6% Elastane
  • Ultra-lightweight doubleweave: 145gsm
  • Shaped hood
  • Magnetic front closure
  • UPF 50+ for sun protection
  • Light dirt and water resistance
  • Elegant drape
  • Four way stretch
  • Machine wash cold, hang dry (do not use fabric softener)
  • One size
  • Outlier Experimental Editions are for risk takers only. No returns or exchanges, one item per customer
  • Made in New York City with Swiss fabric

That's a clever take on a summer rain coat. I wore the ultralight blazer in the rain the other day but it was still so hot and humid here that I was sweating despite the rain. The poncho might satisfy that use-case. Can't decide on a colorway though...

From Haven — PARIS SS14 Buying Recap

Next up was to see the White Mountaineering S/S 14 collection which now shows in Paris...

One of the great things about the SS14 collection is that we see the return of the BLK collection which disappeared a couple years back. For those unfamiliar, the BLK collection was the more technical offspring that held its ground next to the likes of Acronym and Arc’teryx Veilance and produced entirely in Japan. Though going forward it’s not called ‘BLK’ due to licensing issues, it is now simply distinguished by its predominately Black Garments and Tonal Black on Black White Mountaineering neck label...

pbXeIWZl.jpg

That's a clever take on a summer rain coat. I wore the ultralight blazer in the rain the other day but it was still so hot and humid here that I was sweating despite the rain. The poncho might satisfy that use-case. Can't decide on a colorway though...

If you want weather protection and dont care about long sleeves, just get an e-j21

Haha I'm the reverse... Not sold on the modular compatibility of the ds-sl1. Jacket is spectacular tho

Here's what attracted me to the ds-sl1...

oYwDjOgl.jpg

Watches will be useful again. There's already the Pebble:

Now that I've gotten used to Pebble, I like it even more.

And there's a slew of other smartwatches coming soon:

Sony Smartwatch 2

Samsung Galaxy Watch

Microsoft Surface Watch

Google's Android Watch (Google can make a killer smartwatch)

Apple's iWatch (What Might an Apple iWatch Do?)

Besides the the ds-sl1, and that Undercover watch hole glove, what other techwear are designed with watches in mind?

nsUQKKrl.png

Edited by SuE

Here's what attracted me to the ds-sl1...

oYwDjOgl.jpg

Watches will be useful again. There's already the Pebble:

And there's a slew of other smartwatches coming soon:

Sony Smartwatch 2

Samsung Galaxy Watch

Microsoft Surface Watch

Google's Android Watch (Google can make a killer smartwatch)

Apple's iWatch (What Might an Apple iWatch Do?)

Besides the the ds-sl1 and that Undercover watch hole glove, what other techwear are designed with watches in mind?

nsUQKKrl.png

bro, really?

keep it OG. peep this thread, located just a few steps down in supershopper

OG CP Company watchviewer

this whole thread ride Massimo Osti jock and yeen know it.

Osti Archives mentioned in here even? MA. Strum?

the ultimate pieces of "urban techwear": CP Company Urban Protection (Metropolis), CP Company x Aitor Throup mille, Stone Island x Aitor Throup down.

Edited by wEstSidE

Last season they brought back one of the Urban Protection series jackets - the Metropolis Jacket.

Blurb :: "The metropolis was originally created in 1998 and has been reissued in the form of the nylon dynafil metropolis field jacket. This is the first jacket to include an anti-smog mask. It maintains the original nylon based anti tear, anti-abrasion, oil and water resistant, dynalfil TS-70 fabric. The special anti-smog mask filters against the micro, dust particles in urban surrounding. Adjustable drawstring hood for improved fit. Velcro fastening to front of hood. Left breast pocket with concealed zip fastening. Right breast pocket with press stud fastening. Removable ID tag to front. Adjustable velcro straps to sides of jacket. Adjustable velcro straps to cuffs. Black chunky zip with dual zip. Horizontal pocket to left front with large CP Company logo and velcro fastening. Internal pocket with velcro fastening. Fleece lining to jacket."

cp-company-metropolis-02.jpg

It is worth taking a look at Massimo Osti's bio as his work with Stone Island and CP Company has been hugely influential in this field.

Here is another interview.

One last crazy jacket from the CP archives - the Stainless Steel Jacket.

"Unlike the more common Pure Metal Shell jackets, the woven metal on the Stainless Steel jacket is extremely delicate and prone to rips and snags."

stainless_01.jpg

"One common mistake is referring to all Pure Metal Shell jackets as the Stainless Steel Jacket. The true Stainless Steel Jacket is a woven metal (shown above right), while the Pure Metal Shell jackets just have a metal coating applied to the outer layer of the fabric."

Here is just a taste of their tranformables line - the legendary armchair jacket. I prefer it in white myself. Read more here.

cpt_chair_02.jpg

That whole line had some fairly strange pieces:

LIFE which came with headphones:

_0000_Life.jpg

_0002_Life.jpg

Original Metropolis Jacket with mask

\combined_0.jpg

combined_1.jpg

LIGHT which came with flashlight

ATLAS which has an inflatable collar

And that is not even going into their transformable range.

Last season they brought back one of the Urban Protection series jackets - the Metropolis Jacket.

Blurb :: "The metropolis was originally created in 1998 and has been reissued in the form of the nylon dynafil metropolis field jacket. This is the first jacket to include an anti-smog mask. It maintains the original nylon based anti tear, anti-abrasion, oil and water resistant, dynalfil TS-70 fabric. The special anti-smog mask filters against the micro, dust particles in urban surrounding. Adjustable drawstring hood for improved fit. Velcro fastening to front of hood. Left breast pocket with concealed zip fastening. Right breast pocket with press stud fastening. Removable ID tag to front. Adjustable velcro straps to sides of jacket. Adjustable velcro straps to cuffs. Black chunky zip with dual zip. Horizontal pocket to left front with large CP Company logo and velcro fastening. Internal pocket with velcro fastening. Fleece lining to jacket."

hahaha, yes! OG ordo knows what's good.

bro, really?

keep it OG. peep this thread, located just a few steps down in supershopper

OG CP Company watchviewer

this whole thread ride Massimo Osti jock and yeen know it.

Osti Archives mentioned in here even? MA. Strum?

the ultimate pieces of "urban techwear": CP Company Urban Protection (Metropolis), CP Company x Aitor Throup mille, Stone Island x Aitor Throup down.

haha. ok, I fess up, I'm selling shit for a holy grail CP jacket fund :blush: . Those CP items aren't readily available though while the ds-sl1 is for sale right now.

Edit — Full Disclosure: I went for the ds-sl1 first because the design allows the user to easily interact with the watch, as the new smartwatches aren't just for viewing information but responding to it as well. However recent rumors say the iWatch might not be released til next year and there's also the upcoming Google Glass for interactive wearable tech so... someone buy my stuff

Edited by SuE

haha. ok, I fess up, I'm selling shit for a holy grail CP jacket fund :blush: . CP items aren't readily available though while the ds-sl1 is available right now.

word. follow the leader (ordo).

Besides the the ds-sl1, and that Undercover watch hole glove, what other techwear are designed with watches in mind?

nsUQKKrl.png

UC has released multiple jackets with a viewing hole.  I can't speak for the gloves, but I own an iteration of a SS09 jacket and have seen two others (see below), and unfortunately the viewer isn't useful.  On that jacket, it's a good 3-4" up the arm past the wrist, even if you velcro the cuff down onto the base of your hand.  I can't tell if it's a construction issue, like the taping couldn't be that close to the cuff seam, or by design.

8245856573_1246943000_z.jpg

Edited by Dressed Down