After observing these things, I'm looking for the following products for my next trip:

-A superior alternative to the Outlier Three Way shorts if it exists

-a pair of shorts made of material similar to Outlier keirin cuts/slim dungarees

-good looking t-shirts/shirts that will keep you cool

-an alternative to the outlier freeshell: something packable, water resistant, preferably with a sling, and breathable

- Outlier Free Way (or perhaps New Way) shorts. Both have "Flow-through air texturized nylon pockets with mil-spec mesh inserts" and other details that should mitigate the pulled out pocket problem

- Get a pair of Outlier keirin cuts/slim dungarees and have a tailor hem to shorts length

- First, keep in mind that there are different weights of merino wool. Outlier has the heaviest weight, 200gsm, (looks better) while ibex, icebreaker, rapha etc offer different weights for their tshirts. The lowest weight I saw this past summer was Icebreaker's drifter shirts (120gsm) but even that weight might not cut if the weather is hot and humid. An alternative is to avoid the woolen jersey fabrics used by outlier, icebreaker et al for tshirts and look for woven wool fabric instead. Devoa produced a very light woven wool top a few seasons back. Inasice offered woven wool shirts for the SS13 collection. These are more breathable than the jersey wool shirts (I can personally vouch for the devoa top) but are more expensive and seems limited to niche designers with a particular aesthetic.

Besides wool there are other fabrics you can check out. Linen is the classic recommendation. Ramie is good too. Look for fabric with a seersucker treatment (cotton, wool etc). Bamboo? I haven't completely explored all the options...

- I wish I had an answer to this one.

the outlier bags were made with a cuben/dyneema blend. the dyneema makes it a lot more tougher though heavier than usual cuben/poly blend. 

HMG doesnt make bags with the dyneema blend unless requested via email. it costs more but would highly recommend if the extra weight is not a problem for you

@tigerprawn or whoever has the voronoi pants:   how's the sizing of the arcteryx veilance voronoi compared to outlier pants?  I wear 31 in outlier, should I go for a 30 or 32 in veilance?

32 in veilance. If veilance made a 31 it would probably fit me better, but at least for me, veilance is very TTS so going down to a 30 might be uncomfortable. I have some of the 60/30 wrong cut chinos (in 32) that outlier put out last year so maybe theyre a little bit different through the waist but I would generally say that theyre TTS as well.

Also if the voronois dont fit you can always return/exchange them for free (assuming you order them from the veilance site).

I am using a bamboo/ cotton mix as my  underwear shirts.  A bot less stinky on the cotton front but I am in my third week of 6 shirts arsenal.So I can't say anything about the lasting factor. On the merino side, the 100% merino shirts I have used have the same things as described. Look for a blend . The ones I am using area a polyamide/merino blend. Soft enough not to notice but way less smelly. ( and longer lasting)

^ If those merino/polyamide blends are from finisterreuk I disagree. After sweating in them they smell worse than 100% merino, and durability is not too good either.

I have merino tees from icebreaker, outlier and finisterre, the only ones that have any kind of smell are the ones by finisterreuk, they  have a ¿wool? smell even dry.   I don't find the polyamide helping with durability (horrible pilling, specially on the underwear made with the same fabric) and even less with smells. The only pros I find in them is that they are softer than the rest, stretchier and maybe a bit cooler because the weave is more open.

I'm curious about the 120gsm drifter from icebreaker, the 160 feels like the thinnest of the tees I have, even compared to the same 160gsm from finisterre. It has to be crazy thin.

BTW I don't have problems with any of this t-shirts in the spanish summers, in july I was at a festival in the south, reached 39 celsius (102F) and you sweat like a pig but it stills feels nicer than cotton, at least you don't feel that wet (I wore outlier's 200gsm most of the days). Same thing in Punta Cana with the ones by finisterre and higher humidity.

The only thing I have that feels cooler is outlier's linen shirt.

Edited by deadsunrise

Ha man I'm in Spain (andalucia) now and I gotta disagree. In nerja the wool would smell awful when you sweat or get clammy. Not like body odor but like wool. Just has this funk any time it gets wet. Even tested this before my trip when the items were brand new.

I guess what I'm looking for for my next trip is something like under armour in terms of functionality that doesn't look like shit and when you wash it it actually comes fully clean. I saw uniqlo's answer to this in store and those tees sorta totally looked like shit IMO

which brand? I seriously haven't noticed that at all and I've been wearing only merino tees for 3-4 years. The wet tees after the washing machine smell fine (unloaded it a couple hour ago and checked).  Anybody else around here has noticed that wet merino smells bad?

Edited by deadsunrise

Surely the sweat scent is wholly dependent on what you eat or have eaten combined with your own hormones pheromones etc?

avoid onion / garlic etc ! - stay off the indian food!!!

I know after eating asparagus my pee is awful ! - not that I pee on my tees mind, but you get my drift?

Haha no guys I'm saying that when I've gotten them wet at home prior to the trip they stunk. If it were body odor, my other cotton shirts would stink as well. I'm saying that straight out of the package if you get merino wet then in my experience, it releases this wool odor. I've experienced this with outlier and ibex tees. Can't remember if I ever really noticed a smell from icebreaker or not. It's weird bc I realize icebreaker is the cheapest of the three yet I think I've had the best experience with them in terms of durability. Moreso than the other brands mentioned. They are not nearly as comfortable or nice looking as the other two brands though.

Normally I would say this isn't even really an issue as generally no one is around to smell clothes that are wet, but when you're living in close quarters with people and hanging shit to dry then it does smell like wool in the immediate area until it dries. Not horrible and impossible to deal with, but it's definitely there.

I just got the white catch pocket SISP tee from this season that has the reverse print on the front. It's a nice cotton tee that is not see thru. The fit is just perfect.

I also have the black and green from the SS14 collection with the print on the back and in a hot summer day your back can get a little sweaty and sticky.

Didn't have that problem with the white tee walking around Rome in 31 degrees celsius. Would definitely recommend.

Bonus: here's some glitchy fit pic in the vatican http://instagram.com/p/sVjbjCkj6h sorry it's overexposed...

Hey man, that shirt looks great, I've previously been hesitant with picking up SISP tees as I'm not a fan of the back-prints they usually do. This one looks perfect though. 

What size are you wearing in the pic? From the pics on the site it looks like it's a pretty loose fit, thinking about sizing up for extra drape. Also, how's the neck opening? From the pictures it looks like it has a small scoop to it, which I'm definitely a fan of, might just be my imagination though. 

^ I ordered that tee after seeing aleporte's pic, received it a couple days ago.  Super soft, sizing is like the rest of SI, I would say european sizing so it fits smaller than other brands. I got an M and fits similar to an S by outlier or icebreaker. Size up quite a bit (2 sizes) if you want it to drape. I would say that the neck is standard, it's not particularly tight.

Wait for him to reply but he is probably wearing an M too.

Edited by deadsunrise

There was a small story comparing different fabric ability to support bacteria and the impact on smell posted the other day.

http://www.popsci.com/article/cotton-vs-polyester-which-gym-clothes-trap-most-body-odor

Interesting read, but it's funny how somebody apparently felt the need to research something that has already been very widely researched in the commercial field. 

Also, i've never noticed merino smelling. In fact, even after a long hike in hot, humid weather my icebreaker boxers are suprisingly fresh. 

As soon as you blend it with something else it's odor control goes to hell, though. I have this poly/merino blend piece that smells just as bad as regular poly. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Only now did that make me recall staying in a hostel a month or two ago and being hit by this putrid stench in the hall on the way to the room caused by wet clothes. There was even a drying room there.

Maybe it's like leaving prison. When inmates take the duttiest, fattest, tonka shit in the middle of the room and kick it around like a football. They want the next person in the cell to have the roughest time possible.

Edited by TIMDOT

Hey man, that shirt looks great, I've previously been hesitant with picking up SISP tees as I'm not a fan of the back-prints they usually do. This one looks perfect though. 

What size are you wearing in the pic? From the pics on the site it looks like it's a pretty loose fit, thinking about sizing up for extra drape. Also, how's the neck opening? From the pictures it looks like it has a small scoop to it, which I'm definitely a fan of, might just be my imagination though. 

Wearing size small, i'm about 170cm tall. Neck opening seems normal, not tight and not super wide, just right. You won't be disappointed.