5 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

What’s the ID on them kicks?

Y3 Qasa

I'm really into enfin leve's material experimentation, I bought a termaltech steel accessory from them last season mostly just to feel the stuff myself, they just need to come up with some more unique applications for them...

Yep, prices are raised but then again they are not using cheap materials. And it was clear that they'll raise the prices over time anyway. Acronym makes it easier for them to do so as well (1.300 € acr pants vs. 400 € enfin leve pants). I agree with brainerd666 on a lot of the inspiration but they are slowly moving in their own direction design wise imo. Tbh I do like some of their pants and I own a pair of their sestao pants in Schoeller Dryskin which I enjoy. I'd rather buy an acronym pant but acronym's prices are now absolutely out of my reach.

Outlier's most recent push into the techwear outerwear market:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-118-prodigy-mutation.html

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-119-neomarine-longslash.html

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-120-duckcloth-slash-fortress.html

I actually really appreciate the approach they've settled into: tons of transient experimental pieces, with a solid selection of basics that are available year-round.

2 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Outlier's most recent push into the techwear outerwear market:

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-118-prodigy-mutation.html

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-119-neomarine-longslash.html

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/experiment-120-duckcloth-slash-fortress.html

I actually really appreciate the approach they've settled into: tons of transient experimental pieces, with a solid selection of basics that are available year-round.

nah, Outlier has no solid selection and their basics are available seasonally at best. Their midlayers end up dumped in the WTF bins and all their outerwear are experiments. They are operating on a hype schedule now -- try to sell out everything in a minute, no stomach for holding stock -- with prices to match. I have no love for this approach.

apparently outlier has finally figured out that they can subsist solely on selling weird experiments and endless color variations of the slim dungarees to the same 50 autists on reddit that will buy literally anything they make.

honestly it's kind of funny that this used to be the company that just wanted to make a pant that dries fast. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

29 minutes ago, SuE said:

nah, Outlier has no solid selection and their basics are available seasonally at best. Their midlayers end up dumped in the WTF bins and all their outerwear are experiments. They are operating on a hype schedule now -- try to sell out everything in a minute, no stomach for holding stock -- with prices to match. I have no love for this approach.

lol you’re salty dude.

Their t-shirts and pants are usually pretty well-stocked these days—it used to be more of an issue.

1 hour ago, junkie_dolphin said:

lol you’re salty dude.

Their t-shirts and pants are usually pretty well-stocked these days—it used to be more of an issue.

which t-shirts, which pants? 10 years and their selection is still Ultrafine Tees and Slim Dungarees? What's the point of all these experiments? When the ramie is well stocked in the summer, the feral waffle in the winter, and the dreamweight all year round, then their basics would be worth pointing out.

14 minutes ago, SuE said:

which t-shirts, which pants? 10 years and their selection is still Ultrafine Tees and Slim Dungarees? What's the point of all these experiments? When the ramie is well stocked in the summer, the feral waffle in the winter, and the dreamweight all year round, then their basics would be worth pointing out.

The runweight’s been in stock pretty consistently, the ramie is a summer piece, the slim dungarees, future works, strong dungarees, 60/30s, the new OG Leans and OG Classics... all there. Ultrafines too, obviously.

You can see the experiments making their way into the main selection. The hard/co stuff most recently, which I think will mostly replace the double fine; and there’s the shell they tested last year. It’s not like they’re not working over there—it’s just that the experiments often only make it to beta. You’ll get a lot more data from user feedback than you’ll ever get from ~15 people in New York wearing your protos for a few months, so I don’t see it as a bad approach.

I don’t tend to buy the exp stuff, but I guess I’m not a superfan.

54 minutes ago, SuE said:

I’m guessing you’re not an ACR fan either?

my only purchase from outlier after one year is a absolutely happy.

Albini Merino button up shirt (great combination of material and design, bit pricy)

Og free ways (awesome schoeller shorts for move and style)

quadzip (this thing is great)

Keypiece (better design than acr wk2)

Slim dungarees (nice and decent price schoeller for daily biking etc, and friendly at office)

And a merino  (pricy slightly)

to me these are way more low key than Veilance and good combination with Acrnm items to fit in more versatile usage.

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

1 hour ago, brainerd666 said:

I’m guessing you’re not an ACR fan either?

I wasn't a fan of Acrnm's SS18 drip-drip release schedule and the hype and prices are rising rapidly. But Acrnm has actual retailers and puts out more stock of the hyped pieces. Also Acrnm has a predictable progression of releases so it's easier to integrate products from their collection. 

Just because I'm not a fan of their approach to releasing products doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the brand and/or the products. So back to the experiments 118, 119, 120. Can we discuss em? Did anyone order one?

1 hour ago, SuE said:

I wasn't a fan of Acrnm's SS18 drip-drip release schedule and the hype and prices are rising rapidly. But Acrnm has actual retailers and puts out more stock of the hyped pieces. Also Acrnm has a predictable progression of releases so it's easier to integrate products from their collection. 

Just because I'm not a fan of their approach to releasing products doesn't mean I'm not a fan of the brand and/or the products. So back to the experiments 118, 119, 120. Can we discuss em? Did anyone order one?

I’m not sure why you’re calling out a brand named Outlier for doing things the way the deem fit for their brand? Who cares how they release, when they release, where they release, and how those releases ‘integrate’. It feels like brand mentality is what you’re pointing at, but I feel like you’re approaching it from an outmoded perspective. It appears to me that Outlier have the means and ways to eschew the norms in that regard. Our philosophies on this obviously differ as I was elated to see ACR going the random drops route (pricing though- yeah that was a quick ascent I’ll agree for sure). Is it frustrating if you miss a piece- of course. Is it fucking awesome if you caught that one drop- fuck yes! But are you privileged enough to think you’re owed that piece because whatever the fuck fill in the blank-ness...?

In the long run none of us really truly need this shit to survive. It’s fun to play with in many respects, and also has very utilitarian aspects and overall usefulness if done right. I just don’t see the point in giving Outlier shit for doing it their own way and saying fuck the whatever zeitgeist. Which isn’t to say I respect or crave all of their pieces. I had a pair of new denim, and they didn’t fit my aesthetics. I appreciated the thought and time put into them. Passed them on to a friend that’s a bit less tech wear oriented than I am, and he’s fucking elated by the cut and material. Their shit runs the gamut of grey man to active wear to full fledged ‘new’ shit, which is not the easiest to pull off imo. 

TLDR: I hate their onsite modeling/branding but I like their chutzpah and general design sense. YMMV

Edited by brainerd666
Words. Fucking words goddammit

24 minutes ago, brainerd666 said:

I’m not sure why you’re calling out a brand named Outlier for doing things the way the deem fit for their brand? Who cares how... I just don’t see the point in giving Outlier shit for doing it their own way and saying fuck the whatever zeitgeist...

Huh? No brand is exempt from criticism and even if it's right for them doesn't mean it's right for their fans. I haven't even taken Outlier to task for their depop distraction (i.e. third-party ecommerce site, logo heavy designs on cotton american apparel blanks, no returns etc) which is the zeitgeist they built their brand identity against. Ain't nothing outmoded about pointing out contradictions in word and deed

18 minutes ago, kampongkid said:

Really wanted 118, but I wasn’t quick enough. Always next year I guess

You think 118 will be back next year? or you'll buy whatever Outlier puts out next year?

It’s misleading to state they have no returns as it only applies to the experimental pieces. Which are less than integral to their base brand. In fact they are very up front about the concept and design in my experiences reaching out to them multiple times in the past. For instance- fairly recently I was interested in their dyneema jeans and they were very forthright about how difficult it would be to alter them for a standard tailor. I wasn’t given any type of sales pitch or brush off. Their customer service has been both fastidious and welcoming.

And I think you’re mistaking criticism for personal bias. Which is fine, but call it what it is.

At least they’re not charging premiums for branded tees that have poetic descriptions attached to them to excuse the price hikes...

Edited by brainerd666

4 minutes ago, brainerd666 said:

It’s misleading to state they have no returns as it only applies to the experimental pieces. Which are less than integral to their base brand. In fact they are very up front about the concept and design in my experiences reaching out to them multiple times in the past. For instance- fairly recently I was interested in their dyneema jeans and they were very forthright about how difficult it would be to alter them for a standard tailor. I wasn’t given any type of sales pitch or brush off. Their customer service has been both fastidious and welcoming.

And I think you’re mistaking criticism for personal bias. Which is fine, but call it what it is.

At least they’re not charging premiums for branded tees that have poetic descriptions attached to them to excuse the price hikes...

? depop.com/outlier has no returns. I wasn't being misleading; get your facts straight. 

Not sure what their customer service has to do with their release process here. I'll state explicitly again that I'm a fan of Outlier and their products. I'll also add that I'm a fan of their customer service. That doesn't mean I have to be a fan of their release process.

6 hours ago, SuE said:

You think 118 will be back next year? or you'll buy whatever Outlier puts out next year?

Slightly bitter talking to a flipper who got two sizes (mine included). Doubt we will see it next year at least not as it is now. Word is they don’t have much of the purling material left over.

10 hours ago, SuE said:

? depop.com/outlier has no returns. I wasn't being misleading; get your facts straight. 

Not sure what their customer service has to do with their release process here. I'll state explicitly again that I'm a fan of Outlier and their products. I'll also add that I'm a fan of their customer service. That doesn't mean I have to be a fan of their release process.

It came across in your previous post that they dont accept returns in general. Hence why I said it’s misleading. The majority of people are more aware of the mothersite I’d hazard to guess. 

Came here to agree Outlier is pretty sad - 10 years later and it's not any easier to reliably purchase items in my desired size/color combination. It's incredibly frustrating because I'm a fan of their pieces - my closet is 60% outlier at this point - but I don't look forward to their releases because it just means stress and a high chance of disappointment. It's a distinctly unfriendly user experience. Want to wear that dreamy merino tee? Well you'd better not get any holes in it because it's out of stock now and will only be re-stocked for 5 minutes one afternoon in the next 2-3 years. I hate to say it but part of me hopes for Bonobos keeps expanding into this territory - at least then I can pick stuff out of a catalog.

Beyond Clothing has a new line called Kyros. Lot's of nice looking, minimalist outdoors gear with a military/ultralight aesthetic. Men's and Women's clothing options.

https://beyondclothing.com/pages/kyros

Doesn't look like Beyond ventured out much design wise. Using mystery fabrics and possibly offshoring production has let them drop their prices a bit. Would be nice to know some specs on the garments. Some of their original line was a getting up there in price but not crazy. I'd say the one women's piece is a miss with the fur collar. Comes across as trying too hard to girly up a design. Seems out of place on a soft-shell.  From a technically focused brand to make that their first move into the women's market seems off. 

7 hours ago, CB200 said:

Doesn't look like Beyond ventured out much design wise. Using mystery fabrics and possibly offshoring production has let them drop their prices a bit. Would be nice to know some specs on the garments. Some of their original line was a getting up there in price but not crazy. I'd say the one women's piece is a miss with the fur collar. Comes across as trying too hard to girly up a design. Seems out of place on a soft-shell.  From a technically focused brand to make that their first move into the women's market seems off. 

I think that the designs are quite a departure from the military aesthetic they use in their Axios system, but otherwise, I agree with what you said about the fur collar. And yeah, the lack of detailed info on their fabrics has kept me from pulling the trigger on any of their pieces. Personally, I wish that more brands adopted the Outlier approach and listed out as many details as possible even though I know that it's not practical.