6 hours ago, 1000aa said:

that steel mesh thing was done some time ago already and its qualities are pretty good. 

there is a label called circadian rythms in London ran by a young kid who will deffo have something to say in the next coming few years. 

they started doing clothing and other media now - one jacket in the capsule is made entirely out of that.

I got the ultra-flat waistpack if anyone has any questions.

Wow that Circadian-Rythms stuff is really impressive! Amazing multimedia as well. Thank you for mentioning it! Glad to have discovered them just now!

http://circadian-rhythms.com/

Edited by the-intern

somehow ended up browsing back to 2012 in this thread. suprised how much things have changed for techwear. fun to see the musings on the increased appeal of acr an av while not knowing what's coming down the road. lots of good discussion from members i completely forgot about. definitelty another era altogether. 

@Inkinsurgent - I actually got goosebumps from your comment... This thread was really among the first places I encountered techwear, long before even knowing what superfuture was... Its really great to hear someone vocalize the value of the discourse that's gone on here. Scrolling through all 250some pages (at the time) of this thread in a single day was what I'll call retrospectively my "techwear 101" introduction. Really wish I had of known about this world sooner and could have been present to share in the reindeer games!

Review of Montura's Shakedry Flyaway Anorak (there's also a Flyaway Jacket)

IMG_2553.jpg

5wU7l1r.jpgVvIJ75M.jpg

these shakedry garments ticks a lot of my boxes: straight hem, elastic cuffs, hooded, subtle (unfamiliar) branding.

If someone could make a shakedry jacket that packs that as small/flat as a wallet and could fit in a pants pocket/ on a belt loop it could be game-changer for urban wardrobe. 

IMG_2234.jpg

also special shoutout to that montura hood, perhaps the best I've ever had on a rain jacket. Perfect fit, perfect visibility, perfect protection. It's so simple yet effective especially compared to the complicated solutions some other brands (see Outlier's evolution below) have been engineering recently

IMG_2185.jpgIMG_2193_201710131821501e3.jpg

1-storm-king-parka.jpg

2-SupermarineShell-.jpg

3-Freeshell.jpg

4-Outlier-ShelterfromtheStorm.jpg

5-SupermarineSlashParka.jpg

043ZFs6.jpg

Edited by SuE

On 4/7/2018 at 10:11 AM, SuE said:

Review of Montura's Shakedry Flyaway Anorak (there's also a Flyaway Jacket)

also special shoutout to that montura hood, perhaps the best I've ever had on a rain jacket. Perfect fit, perfect visibility, perfect protection. It's so simple yet effective especially compared to the complicated solutions some other brands (see Outlier's evolution below) have been engineering recently

Here are some images of the hood. The blog SuE linked seems to have trouble with some images.

montura_IMG_2187.thumb.jpg.591cc197ad0d5b7a027c28d440e9d680.jpgmontura_IMG_2189.thumb.jpg.b424af3ca1a292d637fcb829576d0eec.jpg

montura_flyaway_anorak.thumb.jpg.19b0e9e415643d0d6ae817c10f61fdf3.jpg

The Montura hood construction reminds me of a wetsuit hood:

oneil_psycho.thumb.jpg.828f35c08a96e501f5acf89b7492bdda.jpg

It's a good idea, but I feel like the Montura hood could have a longer visor to keep rain out of your eyes. I usually wear a cap underneath most rainshell hoods for this reason.

And re: Outlier. Sometimes I feel they're innovating for the sake of innovation, but stuff like the ratchet cuffs on their jackets needs to go. I guess the designers might be viewing it as "signature hardware" but in reality they're cumbersome and everyone worries about long-term durability.

• 2 weeks later...

“Gore-Tex is the gold standard for comfort and protection in the world’s most challenging environments”

Thank fuck no-one measures against the gold standard anymore! Hahaha

Edited by the-intern

New belt up on TAD Foundry. Looks like there's a purchase window that'll last a couple more weeks. Very affordable at 40$.

I like the aesthetics, very clean and simple. The belt has a rigid backer with nylon webbing stitched on. Looks well constructed, but the rigidity of the backing gives me a feeling that this one may not be suited for sitting all day. No surprise as TAD is an outdoor/active company.

12 hours ago, the-intern said:

“Gore-Tex is the gold standard for comfort and protection in the world’s most challenging environments”

Thank fuck no-one measures against the gold standard anymore! Hahaha

Fractional reserve standard doesn't have quite the same marketing ring to it. 

I messaged a recent contact picked up through my challenge with your question. Taylor Weldon -the designer behind the Daka series - hopefully he'll be able to provide us with the answer soon.

[edit]
@noobedloser - The Daka textile is a custom milled solution, but from what is described it's not a particularly specialized or exclusive textile. The reasoning for the custom development mostly concerned thickness, texture, colour etc.The fabric is a TPU coated polyester, with coating on both sides. The coating negates the need for Nylon, as it makes the textile exponentially stronger, 100% waterproof, and highly chemical resistant. The development of perfecting the Daka was apparently quite the ordeal, taking over 300 prototypes to get the welding just right!

Huge props to Taylor for the commitment in the design and development of this product! I myself carry a variety of Daka pouches and love every inch of each of them!

I was unable to secure the exact supplier details, but I suspect this textile comes from a Taiwanese source (possibly Tomlong, or Cotec).

Hope this answers your question. :)[/edit]

Edited by the-intern

On 4/24/2018 at 11:05 PM, the-intern said:

I messaged a recent contact picked up through my challenge with your question. Taylor Weldon -the designer behind the Daka series - hopefully he'll be able to provide us with the answer soon.

[edit]
@noobedloser - The Daka textile is a custom milled solution, but from what is described it's not a particularly specialized or exclusive textile. The reasoning for the custom development mostly concerned thickness, texture, colour etc.The fabric is a TPU coated polyester, with coating on both sides. The coating negates the need for Nylon, as it makes the textile exponentially stronger, 100% waterproof, and highly chemical resistant. The development of perfecting the Daka was apparently quite the ordeal, taking over 300 prototypes to get the welding just right!

Huge props to Taylor for the commitment in the design and development of this product! I myself carry a variety of Daka pouches and love every inch of each of them!

I was unable to secure the exact supplier details, but I suspect this textile comes from a Taiwanese source (possibly Tomlong, or Cotec).

Hope this answers your question. :)[/edit]

Dudeeee thanks for doing this for me, really appreciate it! I wish there was a way to source the fabric somehow though. 

PS: Love all the shizz you made in your 30 day challenge!

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/126/?page=1

Some rather interesting items in here from the live action GITS movie. Very tech. Say what you want about the movie, but the costumes are quite well done. 

Edited by limeaide

4 hours ago, limeaide said:

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/126/?page=1

Some rather interesting items in here from the live action GITS movie. Very tech. Say what you want about the movie, but the costumes are quite well done. 

https://us.propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/126/lot/24436/?url=%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F126%2F%3Fpage%3D1%26items%3D100

Check the pantz...

A good friend of mine did much of the art direction and concept drawings for Ghost In The Shell.

Would you guys like me to reach out and see if I can get some techwear perspective from the people who made these costumes?

I have my eyes on a number of pieces in the auction! Huge fan of the series, would love to own a chunk of it.

17 minutes ago, halomunkey said:

yall should stop raising the prices on these items

If you're new to the prop auction world... you're gunna be shocked at the prices some of this stuff will hit by the time it closes.

Especially this GITS auction, as it's a particularly unusual one. It's rare for there to be so many completely custom made costume prices for a production. Also there are a whole bunch of items using never before seen technologies, such as Majors Silicone body suit and truly flexible chromed rubber.

Not to mention the fact that many of these items were conceived by arguably the finest concept artist on this planet Maciej Kuciara:

https://www.instagram.com/maciejkuciara/

https://www.artstation.com/maciej

This is a particularly spicy auction! :)

Edited by the-intern

... well someones gotta pay for this bandwidth, bwahaha:

Screenshot-1240PM.PNG.a78bbfa5144446caa759da13a0510a8e.PNG

I'll upload an image directory with all the high-res pics of the clothing items later today.

56 minutes ago, the-intern said:

... well someones gotta pay for this bandwidth, bwahaha:

Screenshot-1240PM.PNG.a78bbfa5144446caa759da13a0510a8e.PNG

I'll upload an image directory with all the high-res pics of the clothing items later today.

hahaha, love you man! :D

btw. Tested is my alltime favourite youtube channel, perfect for that nerd blood of mine

Edited by gantz