• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for a good looking pair of techwear related running/trail running shoes? Less visible logos and subtle tones/less saturated colors would be ideal. I want something durable (I'm getting tired of ripping through running shoes in 1-2 years) that I can wear near daily for walking/hiking/biking/camping and looking decent day to day. 

1 hour ago, branespload said:

You'd probably have some luck looking through the shoe thread: 

I would look at Salomon. I like this https://www.the-broken-arm.com/en/sneakers/1874-salomon-the-broken-arm-wings-pro-2.html#/shoe_size-10_us

Those Salomon’s are hawt. Almost regret ordering those AF1 boots last night... Must curb my sneaker buying excessive-ness. I’ve already bought four pairs in the last month and a half. Is there a twelve step program for sneaker addicts?

3 hours ago, dystaind said:

Any recommendations for a good looking unicorn

Regular trail running / outdoor and 'looking decent day to day' is mutually exclusive. Who gets more than a season or two (even on rotation!) out of running shoes anyway? Buy activity-specific footwear and you'll be x100 happier.

Well there's Wolf & Shepherd which has been worn to win a marathon. It'll wear down eventually too but it can be resoled. Oh they don't only offer dress shoes; they make a lace-up boot now and the chelsea boot could work with some fits. I assume you're running for exercise/fun and not competitive reasons...

Otherwise, as appleseed recommended, just buy regular running shoes

19 minutes ago, Kamikaze said:

down was the first thing that came to mind i guess. just wanted something warm to wear under shells haha.

Ah, in that case Stone Island, SI:SP, acr, and Arc’teryx (regular and veilance) have lots of options that are fantastic and a huge range in price. The obvious answer is J58-WS, but $$$ and hard to come by. The Veilance Mionn with Coreloft is another good option. Less expensive could be something like the Arc’teryx Atom or Cerium, both quite nice. The main Stone Island line has tons of stuff right now, and IMO some of the main line pieces and Shadow Project are becoming more and more similar in many respects.

Probably even more from places like Patagonia if you want a more outdoors-y kind of thing. 

Edit: And of course the new ACG bombers and 3-in-1, if the patterns and colours work for you.

Edited by emenel
Adding another idea

Down is slightly warmer, and a little bit lighter. Synthetics compress better and retain warmth when wet.

If you need a coat for cold and dry, down is fine. But if the cold is wet too, buy something with man made insulation.

Note that the Military does not use down.

1 hour ago, emenel said:

Ah, in that case Stone Island, SI:SP, acr, and Arc’teryx (regular and veilance) have lots of options that are fantastic and a huge range in price. The obvious answer is J58-WS, but $$$ and hard to come by. The Veilance Mionn with Coreloft is another good option. Less expensive could be something like the Arc’teryx Atom or Cerium, both quite nice. The main Stone Island line has tons of stuff right now, and IMO some of the main line pieces and Shadow Project are becoming more and more similar in many respects.

Probably even more from places like Patagonia if you want a more outdoors-y kind of thing. 

Edit: And of course the new ACG bombers and 3-in-1, if the patterns and colours work for you.

thank you. will check out those products now. i wanted to try to get in on some good deals right now for boxing day. i'm more into something now as flashy i.e. black, navy, etc.

39 minutes ago, Cornuto said:

Down is slightly warmer, and a little bit lighter. Synthetics compress better and retain warmth when wet.

If you need a coat for cold and dry, down is fine. But if the cold is wet too, buy something with man made insulation.

Note that the Military does not use down.

thank you for the info. just a bit cold in california but never too much downpour haha.

Would definitely recommend the Arcteryx cerium(down) or Atom(coreloft). Cerium is warmer than the Atom, but both are killer pieces. They come in different models - Allround(AR), light(LT) or superlight(SL), which differ in weight, warmth, face fabric(different denier=different durability), composite construction (the cerium models differ on whether they have down all over or coreloft at strategic places such as the shoulders and hood, the Atom on whether it has more breathable material along the sides of the torso and under the armpits) and with or without a hood. I would, however, dare to say that the models will be equally durable in urban environments. Seeing that you are looking for a jacket under a shell, I’d go for one of the lighter models. The LT models are the go to jackets in my environments, but it all depends on how cold it is. The cerium can compress into a tiny pocket and the 2017-model has some new pocket configurations and cinches at the waist. Comparing the Cerium LT with the Atom LT, the cerium will be warmer and can be compressed more, while the Atom will be more breathable. 

Edited by Haackk

@KamikazeSave your cash and invest in a merino wool sweater, or merino/synthetic long sleeve. I wear a heavy duty LL Bean merino full zip sweater with my ACR shells and I’m good down to the low 40’s. When it gets a bit chillier I throw on a wool Filsons vest over the sweater, and when it’s stupid cold I wear a Tilak Poutnik powerstretch fleece as a base layer. I was just trudging through knee deep snow with high winds at 9 degrees Fahrenheit and was nice and toasty. Contrary to what was stated above merino keeps you warmer when wet than man made materials, which shouldn’t really be an issue under the proper shell, and also helps regulate body temp comfort very efficiently. 

Edited by brainerd666
I forgot the things

Love wool for a base layer, not as much for insulation. My calculations would be more along the line of Cali weather + under shell = Fleece.

I know I harp on about wind shirts and the over valuation of shells, but here’s some reading that may explain my thinking: https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/apparel/comprehensive-guide-protective-combat-uniform/

@Cornuto Can’t say I agree on the wool insulation comment. But different strokes and all that...

Funny you posted that link as I was researching the PCU system this past fall. Almost picked up some of the mid-layers. 

the original pcu system is pretty shit. mark twight's ideas about technical clothing are weird as hell and the materials used are subpar. patagonia's run at the second generation was a bit better as it incorporated an actual hardshell instead of a trash bag, but still relied on a lot of nextec crap. the third gen is supposedly a lot better and has some nice stuff like polartec alpha puffies,  but the l5 is still nextec and all the high speed guys who get to order shit on the unit level run dead bird or wild things.

Yeah, Leaf is not particularly difficult to get your hands on. That is, in Canada at least.

I'll warn you: the alpha jacket is really quite short (not that it is a bad thing, just different). The alpha has been my go-to shell this fall.

fit_pic.jpg

Edited by AnomalousTautology
adding fit pic

Huh, the fine print on the main website last I checked said you had to have a valid service ID and they’d cut you off if they caught you selling to your bros or whatever. Maybe it’s only in the US or something stupid like that...

yeah you can't order off the main site but the various online retailers all sell to the general public. 

i still own a couple of really oldschool leaf pieces and have owned a bunch more but stopped wearing them once the whole tactical mall ninja thing really took off. 

On 12/25/2017 at 12:56 PM, brainerd666 said:

@KamikazeSave your cash and invest in a merino wool sweater, or merino/synthetic long sleeve. I wear a heavy duty LL Bean merino full zip sweater with my ACR shells and I’m good down to the low 40’s. When it gets a bit chillier I throw on a wool Filsons vest over the sweater, and when it’s stupid cold I wear a Tilak Poutnik powerstretch fleece as a base layer. I was just trudging through knee deep snow with high winds at 9 degrees Fahrenheit and was nice and toasty. Contrary to what was stated above merino keeps you warmer when wet than man made materials, which shouldn’t really be an issue under the proper shell, and also helps regulate body temp comfort very efficiently. 

On 12/25/2017 at 3:23 PM, Cornuto said:

Love wool for a base layer, not as much for insulation. My calculations would be more along the line of Cali weather + under shell = Fleece.

I know I harp on about wind shirts and the over valuation of shells, but here’s some reading that may explain my thinking: https://www.itstactical.com/gearcom/apparel/comprehensive-guide-protective-combat-uniform/

start with warmer base layers. I got swayed to idea by Outlier's airspace. I took a look at Brynje's merino mesh and tried Patagonia's merino air. The real game changer though was Uniqlo's heattech ultra warm introduced last year:

that ad was only a mild exaggeration. My cheat code this season has been layering the heattech. I've worn — without any jacket! — an ultra warm under an extra warm turtleneck comfortably in -5°c (low 20s°f) outside yet not overheating when back indoors. Or size up on an ultra warm and wear that as a sweater. It's -15°c (single digits °f) so I've added a jacket but still no need for any down/primaloft/alpha insulation yet. Heattech ultra warm is really in a class of its own. Uniqlo claims heattech has feature parity with wool too i.e. anti-odor, moisture wicking etc. There's few excuses for everyone not to try 'em.

Edited by SuE

Hi, 

I only wear Veilance but am sick of GTX. I want to try some Schoeller softshell (WB-400) and don't want to wait for the Isogon MX. 

Does anyone have any recommendation? 

Edit: no Outlier please. Really not a fan of the brand

Edited by johngalt

I was wearing a Heattech shirt today, underneath a ACG insulator and a ACRNM J47GT. Plenty warm in sub-zero Midwest weather. But then I do run hot (Heated seats and steering wheel are helpful too!).

But I wouldn’t call it a base layer, more of a thermal fashion layer maybe?  

Which sort of begs the question of how to differentiate between the people that are asking about real performance layers vs those that just want to stay warm during static to moderate outdoor activities.

Frigid temps for an hour or so walking the doggo, almost anything that traps a layer of air will do.

Near freezing rain with no easy shelter to be found, the outside of your fleece/inside of your shell soaking wet from exertion? Be damn glad you’ve invested in wool. That kind of shitty weather will KILL you.