I have the ACG chukka  with that sole, grip on wet concrete is amazing, grip on icy concrete is you're now ice skating

^^^ in all fairness, nothing short of crampons will save you on icy concrete.

Hype rising for Vibram's Artic Grip. It's in National Geographic's Gear of the Year Fall/Winter 2016 list

Every little bit of traction helps, and Vibram’s new Arctic Grip outsoles have a lot. This new rubber compound is designed to grab onto wet ice three times better than regular Vibram soles, and having gone to the skating rink and surreptitiously splashed some water on the ice, we can attest that it does—and then some. Available in six shoe models this winter (we tested the Merrell Moab FST Ice+ Thermo Waterproof), the new rubber gives grip that feels just this side of a crampon. How’s it work? Vibram won’t say. Sorcery, perhaps.

It's exclusive to Wolverine (and sub-brands) this season:

G40jcu9.jpgNPd64HO.jpgjupmm3N.jpgyx2catD.jpgpGwqJu6.jpgkNVY1Ds.jpgqmAygzL.jpgKdjZ8zM.jpg

Anybody had a chance to test iton an icy pavement yet?

Guys, I'm looking for a soultion for wet feet this winter. Got all geared up with waterproof stuff, but the shoes are the weak spot. I'm thinking of three options:

- getting waterproof shoes (only ugly ones unfortunately, all black utility prestos were kinda ok, but still that's not it)

- tried liquiproof on my qasas - didn't work at all 

- waterproof socks? does anybody have any experience with those? 

Edited by nigel1

Guys, I'm looking for a soultion for wet feet this winter. Got all geared up with waterproof stuff, but the shoes are the weak spot. I'm thinking of three options:

- getting waterproof shoes (only ugly ones unfortunately, all black utility prestos were kinda ok, but still that's not it)

- tried liquiproof on my qasas - didn't work at all 

- waterproof socks? does anybody have any experience with those? 

Could probably do with boots instead of sneakers

considering to get a jacket, and looking for suggestions. recently got the j53ts-gt, and now that i have a long/coat, looking for a short classic length jacket to rotate.

some considerations

1) goretex

2) would like something not too 'plain'

3) not that much budget to spend, unfortunately

actually eyeing field jackets in particular, the j56 while nice, is too expensive and button-closure is a minus.

any thoughts on veilance field? there seems to be some on ebay for a good price, especially the newer version with side-entry pockets.

Edited by nictan

Yeah the J56 is overpriced but it is pretty nice in my opinion. I wore my Veilance field jacket about twice and never felt the need to go back - for me personally it's just so blocky and pedestrian I felt like it was dad-wear. That being said, I wouldn't dream of paying full price for one but for half price or under could be a tempting option. In terms of the quality I couldn't fault it if you like the style.

thanks for the reply and input. thats my main gripe with the veilance field as well, fit seems boxy from pics ive seen. unfortunately i dont have the oppportunity to try them on, as im not sure how it would sit on my frame. im fairly skinny with narrow shoulders. maybe it will fall better compared to a wider/stockier body that would fill it?

might've jumped instantly on the j56 had it had a zip closure. i know its been discussed and not that big a deal for what is still a sick jacket, but the thought of it just doesnt sit well with me.

the j47a-gt on the other hand though..... where2kop