operation: lavon

right took the plunge and washed my acg cargo. result came out as new although ever so slightly lighter in colour which is hardly noticeable.

took the lazy man route and washed them in the machine on a hand wash cycle at 20c using aesop x a.p.c fine fabric care.

did a little reading beforehand that you should use only liquid cleaners such as above or wool conditioners like woolite for delicate fabrics never soap or your normal washing powder as these are too harsh and nearly always contain a bleaching agent. once the cycle has finished hang to dry never leave to sit around.

also what might of helped is that I washed my black veilance graph and diale knits at the same time so maybe there was a little dye bleeding from and into each garment. both are hand wash only but spoke with a veilance guy he said it should be ok to use a hand wash program but still recommended hand washing.

think after a few washes being mainly cotton with wool even using this method it'll eventually look like shite. so will have to dye them. can anyone recommend any home kits as I will have to eventually dye my sirra grey apparat too! dylon are good but if anyone can shout out some recommendations that would be great.

Edited by scamster

i know and I'm counting on it.

the nylon will obviously stay the same colour as it is now but the cotton, wool mix will lose it's colour in different ways. will try and pick the right time and the right colour to dye so hopefully it'll create a nice effect such as a si:sp garment overdye or it could possibly turn out shite.

Sizing question about teh nikelab x ACG technical shirt.. I usually wear Medium. And I read somewhere that if I wear medium on the 2-1 ACG jacket. I need to size up for the reflective pocket T-shirt.

How about the sizing for the tech shirt that was release last summer?

nikelab_acg_tech_shirt_1.jpg

From Junya Watanabe's new season, 6 solar panels with an interior power-pack to charge your phone. Really interested if it would work well in real life or if it's just a gimmick, anyone have experience with a similar concept?

junya-watanabe-solar-coat-1.jpg?w=1024

Bit of both probably, they prob take all day to fill the charger, I didn't see anywhere that said if they filled a charge pack (which I would assume), how big that battery might be. I'm very interested in the idea, we will see soon :)

Lots of little solar panel chargers exist in the outdoors/hiking market, some are better than other but I still find most personal sized solar charger to be mediocre at best.

Edited by jbob24

I have a Xtorm 24 Watt panel, which nicely folds with magnetic closure to a little bag 26x16x4cm and has hooks and carabiner to hang it on your backpack, tent or make a solar slingæ if you want.

Dimensions open are 71x16x1cm and that's probably too big for most but it hangs nicely on my backpack. The current is balanced between the 2 Outputs (2x USB 2A) with a maximum of 2000 mA per output. Even with 50% efficiency it will still generate 2000 mA of energy.

It's intended to work with a powerbank but you can also your plug in your device directly. You can stuff those things in the little zipped bag on back of the panel. I use it in combination with a 55,5 Wh (15000 mAh) powerbank (3 USB outputs with a maximum total output of 3500 mA, input (5V/2.0A), output 5V/3A) or a waterproof 9000mAh powerbank.

It will generate about 50 – 60 Wh daily depending on conditions which is about 15000 mAh. More than enough to charge your smart phone a couple of times. In perfect conditions it can generate more. It weighs 550 grams.

It works a charm.

sadly i purchased the ACG pants from mr porter, not nike, so I am not sure that nike will be that helpful. I will contact them today, though.

Here are the pictures of the damage: 

rU7mpgql.jpg

Y1yGZZtl.jpg

ALGejbHl.jpg

there is also some damage near the zippers. this is honestly disgraceful - this shouldn't happen if you follow the fucking care tag to the letter. 

Yeah I like my gear beat up too, but that should take years of use. I can see why people are pissed if this is the first wash on pants that are 3 months old.

Time to jump on that post apocalyptic look :)

sadly i purchased the ACG pants from mr porter, not nike, so I am not sure that nike will be that helpful. I will contact them today, though.

there is also some damage near the zippers. this is honestly disgraceful - this shouldn't happen if you follow the fucking care tag to the letter. 

Mine was also like this when I took it out of the soak. So i soaked it in water again without any soap, and this time the water had a yellowish tinge. Afterward i sprayed it down with cold water and let it drip then hung dry. I don't think that the white parts are parts where the dye got washed out. Seems to me that those are the parts that the industrial starch which did not wash out fully. I think pants that comes from factories are usually pre-starched to maintain their firmness and shape. Have washed them twice with the same whitish results, but now they are fine.

Edited by hurhur

2qdn3tu.jpg

2rfabcw.jpg

as you can see, it's pretty much fine now. And I am certain that the white stuff is just the starch because the pants are much softer now. There are still whitish parts on the seams of the left leg near the ankle if you look closely. but that's about it. I am not trying to defend nike here, but with so many people bashing the acg pants, I just thought I speak out on mine since I own them. 

Edited by hurhur

rU7mpgql.jpg

Y1yGZZtl.jpg

ALGejbHl.jpg

feel for you dude but did you follow the care tag to the letter?

if a garment can only be hand washed it is implied that its delicate. using anything other than a liquid cleaner designed for delicate fabrics (a contradiction I know considering cargos have thier lineage based on workwear and the military) is going to cause problems. the water has to be no warmer than room temperature or colder if you can manage with non aggressive agitation of the garment when washing.

washing machine soap powders are really designed for your whites, hot water breaks down the surface of fabrics which releases the dye and hard rubbing or a fast spin cycle in a machine will do the same along with wringing to get rid of the water after washing. they also need to be rinsed well and hung up to dry straight away not left sitting around for awhile.

zXK6Bg.jpg

I've washed my acg cargos at least 3 times and they look pretty much the same as when they were new. The fact that they were never true black to begin with is a factor. If you're in this thread you probably have enough techwear to justify buying sport wash laundry detergent from amazon. It's all I use for anything "tech" or with water resistance or stretch, along with any active wear (dri-fit running gear, under armour, hiking, swim, etc.). I'll also throw whatever's delicate in there too. Machine wash with cold water inside-out on delicate, then hang dry. Judging from my results I anticipate them lasting a good long time.

If you look closely you'll notice that I added belt loops to mine, which addresses what imo was the biggest flaw. The other problems are minor (unnecessary back pocket zippers, dwr) and these are now some of my favorite pants. 

Edited by ezsupertalk

if a garment can only be hand washed it is implied that its delicate. using anything other than a liquid cleaner designed for delicate fabrics (a contradiction I know considering cargos have thier lineage based on workwear and the military) is going to cause problems. the water has to be no warmer than room temperature or colder if you can manage with non aggressive agitation of the garment when washing.

washing machine soap powders are really designed for your whites, hot water breaks down the surface of fabrics which releases the dye and hard rubbing or a fast spin cycle in a machine will do the same along with wringing to get rid of the water after washing. they also need to be rinsed well and hung up to dry straight away not left sitting around for awhile.

He claims not to have used soap:

hey all.

just popping in to add my voice to the complaints about the ACG pants. 

i decided it was time to wash them and followed the care tags to the letter (cold water, gentle hand wash, didn't even use soap) and now they look diseased. i'm not sure why, but mine look significantly worse than the ones posted earlier in this thread. 

this is a huge disappointment to me that i can spend $200 on pants that can't even be washed?? truly #technical. 

i'm glad i paid retail and not resell but am still hugely let down by this, as they are now basically unwearable

i am looking into professional re-dyeing services but cannot find any that are willing to take them, since they are a wool blend. 

<_<  :angry:  :(

Unless the pants were filthy and/or were dried in direct sunlight I don't see how hand 'washing' (more like rinsing since "no soap") could result in this:

rU7mpgql.jpg

Y1yGZZtl.jpg

ALGejbHl.jpg

:blink:

that whiteish pattern definitely looks like some sort of dissolved and then settled residue. you've got nothing to lose by washing them again, rinsing thoroughly and seeing if the starch theory holds.

edit: very curious what nike customer service has to say about this whole weird deal

Edited by Inkinsurgent

I understand the assumption of incompetence but yes, this is the result of just cold water + gentle hand pressure. I didn't use any soap or strong rubbing. 

I am not trying to defend nike here, but with so many people bashing the acg pants, I just thought I speak out on mine since I own them. 

Thanks for this post, this is actually quite reassuring. They're basically unwearable for me right now so I'll definitely try another soak. 

So I dropped by the new Descente shop off Carnaby St in London today. Some really interesting stuff in there in really nice materials. Favourite for me was the Para-Hem air inflator jacket which is a superlight kagool style jacket with Acronym interops style zips on both sides, taped seams and a nice gimmick in the hood that has two little pumps (like on a pair of pump furys) which inflate the hood around your head. I should have taken a load of pics...maybe next time.

Anyway, if you're in London, it's definitely worth a visit. Some of the collection is now online but only to view, no webshop yet. www.descente.com

the charcoal is actually more black than it appear on the website. I will post a pic this week end so you can have an idea.

Ok so I've been really busy, but here are two pics of the Coldsmoke KAPVIK MOUNTAIN PANTS . next to an ACRONYM Hardshell, so you can have an idea of the color, HOWEVER : the pants tend to be much more close (for the color) to the pics on their website when in direct Sunlight . The fabric react in that interesting way, and might be similar to some fabric used by BAGJACK for some of their Bags.

ANYWAY every body will be busy watching again the new ACRNM video :)

Capture_d_e_cran_2016_03_22_a_17_41_23.j

Capture_d_e_cran_2016_03_22_a_17_41_36.j

Edited by bento