I'm frustrated by the strict focus on material over aesthetic and rolling up many different brands into one giant umbrella. It's not wrong but a lot of people are coming into techwear blind without any other kind of basis in fashion and kind of go "Great, I'll buy a bunch of Outlier" which imo is a really bad place to start.

I think form follows function is a great rule of thumb for good techwear.

I think the more important distinction is between clothes made with technical materials, and clothes that have a forward-thinking design in terms of things like articulation or how they were actually produced. 

If you're brand new to giving a shit about how you dress, function over form isn't likely to get you what you want because the function part is easy to grasp and the form part is quite difficult.

If you're brand new to giving a shit about how you dress, function over form isn't likely to get you what you want because the function part is easy to grasp and the form part is quite difficult.

I'd hope we're not like some shitty Reddit hangout that can't admit that maybe aesthetics are an important aspect as well.

Edited by Igneousity

I'd hope we're not like some shitty Reddit hangout that can't admit that maybe aesthetics are an important aspect as well.

Aesthetics are important, but I was just talking about the Bauhaus school of thought on design. I know Acronym follows this pretty strictly, but I think it's especially important when talking about clothes designed to be functional. Of course the form is important, that's why we are here for the most part, but I don't think it should take a backseat to functionality if that makes sense. They go hand-in-hand.

Right, I agree. Now look at how many new people get into Techwear and buy a shitload of Outlier and get frustrated when they look like a mildly water resistant businessman instead of Errolson.

Yeah but that's what they're trying to do. Nobody accidentally buys acronym thinking they're gonna wear it to the office as a legit option (depends on where u work and dress code obviously). That's outliers fundamental thing tho, am I wrong?

There's no writeup I could do that would capture the beauty of holding it in your hand and realizing the hand feel is basically the same as what you'd get in a discount clothing store in a developing country. It's a poly/cotton blend that feels like the worst kind of ultra-synthetic "I'll wear it for a week and it'll fall apart" fabric which I've seen dozens of times before, but usually for like $10.

I'm unbelievably dissapointed. The cut is really interesting, the design is really interesting, but the quality literally would be maxing out the price around one tenth of retail. The thing that I've always liked about SISP was that it felt straight up more "luxury" than a lot of other techwear brands. This feels more like Forever 21.

I may be wrong, it may be some ultra high quality poly/cotton fabric but somewhere along the construction process someone really forgot to stop and ask if felt like a $400 hoodie.

Edited by Igneousity

I may be wrong, it may be some ultra high quality poly/cotton fabric but somewhere along the construction process someone really forgot to stop and ask if felt like a $400 hoodie.

actually, SI's infatuation with unique textiles has led me to ask this question before. Sometimes pressurized object-dyed crinkle-stretch polyester is just... a polyester pair of pants. 

I've been getting the feeling that SISP (and Stone Island in general) has been on a downwards spiral lately. Last fall was surprisingly good, sporting a cohesive collection for once, but when I went down to my local stockist there wasn't a single piece that grabbed my attention. Materials didn't feel particularly high quality and with all of the modularity gone the detailing was pretty much non-existent.

It might be possible that SI/Errolson has decided to change to focus of SISP to carter to another crowd but I feel like the new ACG is much more similar to what SISP used to be for me than the SISP we've been seeing the the last couple of collections has been. 

Anyone agree with me on this or is it just me?

I think you might find that the 'team' behind SI:SP is less EH involvement that on inception.

It has lost my interest, sadly. only the oddment here & there piques interest, but I feel I am clutching at straws as of late.

The progression certainly lost momentum not sure if it's backed into a corner but biggest issue for me regardless of whether I like it not is that now the sizing is so much smaller than before, and for that reason alone is a non-starter for me.

It's impossible to pull off all black here unless you go like full Asian kid streetwear. I really, really dislike this trend that unless it's grey, olive, or black it can't be techwear because it's what really makes things come across as super costume-y to me (as much as this thread likes it). This is doubly true when you live somewhere totally lush and green, you just straight up can't do all black.

The Nike ACG cargos were really the huge wake up point for me on that, I fell in love with the lighter blue colour and have been playing around a lot with blue and white techwear which looks much more appropriate in this climate and has a pretty unique feel to it compared to a lot of what you see online. I'm really hoping that sweater plays nice as an add on to the blue, but the ACG pants are light enough that if it's too heavy it's going to make for a really lopsided fit, climate-wise.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of light coloured top layers that look interesting (not shells) I'd be super interested.

thinking you might try peak performance(not the causual line)

Solid cutting and nice color arrangement. They also have strong understanding for materials.

Here's two items I've dug up that are surprisingly affordable and look good- Mainly from military lineups. 

First, we have the Arc'Teryx Wraith jacket. A bit of a short lived item, this was released under the LEAF line and is an inclement weather overwhite for winter operations. Seems to be more of a nylon material that resists water to a certain point, but is really more of a windbreaker. Not for heavy wet snowfall! Has a hood, and can be synched down. The main idea is that when it's over your original camouflage, the overwhite modifies this and creates a winterized version of your camo. If I can find any camouflage in my stacks of crap, I'll shoot a pic. Not sure how much these retail for, as they're out of production and very few are on ebay. 

WfShm1c.jpg

Next, is the ORC PCU Level 4 windshirt. It's 100 percent nylon. This is apart of a whole system designed for Special Forces and other elements that need rapidly scalable protection from the elements. I picked this guy up for about 75 dollars. It's packable (like the Arc'Teryx above) and fits into a small pocket. Extremely light as well, and has a utility pocket up front, with a billed hood. When combined with an insulating layer, it does a fairly good job at preventing wind from breaching. Works well as a standalone jacket with a t-shirt underneath for rapidly changing spring days. However, this windshirt is not waterproof whatsoever, and after a small rainstorm you will eventually have water breaching the fabric. But, fret not, as there is another level in the PCU system that is completely waterproof. I'm looking for one right now. Should be useful for monsoon season here in the southwest. I have found that the fabric is fairly rough and does require some close care when washing, and requires powdered detergent. I don't think the quality is exceptional, but it's decent for the price. 

Q6re6Nj.jpg

Edited by limeaide

Right, I agree. Now look at how many new people get into Techwear and buy a shitload of Outlier and get frustrated when they look like a mildly water resistant businessman instead of Errolson.

but you don't understand, that's what i was going for

Here's two items I've dug up that are surprisingly affordable and look good- Mainly from military lineups. 

cool writeup, thanks. would like to see how you incorporate the wraith into a fit. 

i have an orc pcu l5 somewhere. almost a modern classic with some interesting patterning. acrnm copied it for a couple of collections. the fabric is really weird. it's a super soft nylon with an almost t-shirt like hand that offers very little water resistance and pills like a motherfucker. newer generations are designed by patagonia but still use the same nextec fabric. the patagonia design was copied by cav empt for one of their collections but isn't nearly as attractive looking as the gen 1.

edit: when looking for the l6 (waterproof) layer be aware that the kit's original designer, Mark Twight, has some strange ideas about clothing and the gen 1 waterproof layer is non-permeable, essentially a plastic bag. the patagonia gen 2 is gore-tex and is a much better item.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

but you don't understand, that's what i was going for

That's cool. More power to you. I just don't think "It's exactly the same as a different style, but more water resistant" should really qualify for a unique labal to define it, especially when there's an aesthetic associated with "Techwear".

Edited by Igneousity

Some of you might be interested by this : http://www.portabrace.com/hb-40-super-strap.html

http://www.atreid.com/miniatures/im/o/p/porta_hb40-650-400.png

Edited by bento

That's cool. More power to you. I just don't think "It's exactly the same as a different style, but more water resistant" should really qualify for a unique labal to define it, especially when there's an aesthetic associated with "Techwear".

i was being sarcastic.

some of their newer stuff is more experimental, that 3d knit layer space thingamajig was cool techwear. their baselayer merino wool stuff is the best though