^ But El Nino is coming!  We'll get our chance!

@danii: thanks for sharing your experience.  Your point about staying longer in the shoes is something I didn't consider when thinking about just going for GTX socks and wearing my normal shoes--good catch!  Alas, that means I'll still be on the hunt...

that military vest got me thinking, what do you guys think of using a fishing vest for traveling to hold your stuff as opposed to a bag in countries that are a little less visitor friendly?

Edited by Albm

^^^ Vest afficionado here.

Don't go through airports with them - they're a pain in the arse and are a perfect excuse for a jumped up security dude to take too much of an interest in you. Happened to me a couple of times until I gave in///

I use a filson fly fishing vest I've got loads (when not in airports). Admittedly I look twattish but my general vibe is 'weird-uncle-fly-fishing-in-space' at the best of times, so nothing new there.

So winter's almost here...what are people doing for footwear for rain?

I'm sticking to norwegian GTX Sneakers from Viking Footwear : http://www.vikingfootwear.com/en/mens/active-outdoor/impulse-m#5

that military vest got me thinking, what do you guys think of using a fishing vest for traveling to hold your stuff as opposed to a bag in countries that are a little less visitor friendly?

have a look at scottevest. they specialize in this kind of stuff (traveling garments with invisible pockets everywhere hidden from pickpockets and data thiefs). they have terrible lookbooks (you have been warned) but I guess it could be combined for +REP look.

Edited by danii

Tried on a Norse Projects Rokvi 2.0. How is this thing a v 2.0?

Pretty cool jacket overall (except for the effeminate looking raglan shoulders) but its basically unwearable.

At 5.7 145lbs I had extreme difficulty getting my forearms in and out of the sleeves on a medium - and this is wearing a t-shirt.  I'm pretty sure someone weighing 120lbs would have the same problem as the sleeves were too tight at the forearm for my wrist to get through without a lot of struggle.  I actually damaged the lining where it connected to the baffles putting it on.

Somebody really sucks at patterning.

Edited by fals3

Tried on a Norse Projects Rokvi 2.0. How is this thing a v 2.0?

Pretty cool jacket overall (except for the effeminate looking raglan shoulders) but its basically unwearable.

Somebody really sucks at patterning.

Norse projects has truly baffling patterning problems. I've tried on and owned various of their pieces over the years, and they all had weird fit issues like the ones you described. It's like their fitting model is 190cm tall with a 12 year old's chest and arms and a 50 year old's pot belly.

They also have a weird way of flatlocking the trimming on their jersey pieces that  makes the hems and sleeve ends stretch out horribly. 

I had the original rokvi and no such issues, I typically have problems with tight sleeves / upper torso on some jackets, but this fitted fairly roomy at least in size L. Maybe they changed something or this is a bigger issue in smaller sizes?

Cheers for the heads up, been pretty close to buying one for the last while. 

Can I ask, would size M from Norse otherwise fit okay with you? I've found it pretty TTS (6.3, 170 lbs)

I'm pretty sure a large would be perfect.   At 5'8", 150 the sleeves on a medium were the perfect length for me but will be too short for you.  I tested it out and going up to large removed the snagging problem (but looked stupid on my frame).

Also - Norse has free shipping till the 30th so you should jump on that shit - so much cheaper than B&M.

Edited by fals3

Going to Shanghai soon, any advices, places to go, brands, shops ?

The Viridi-anne Wool/Nylon Coat. 3L waterproof, taped seams

GOQ2m7h.jpg

Any techwear alternatives to a woolcoat this season? Last years coat from the Viridi-anne was amazing, was hoping to find something similar, preferably in gray though, but it doesn't really matter that much. 

Any techwear alternatives to a woolcoat this season? Last years coat from the Viridi-anne was amazing, was hoping to find something similar, preferably in gray though, but it doesn't really matter that much. 

Outlier made two coats recently.  The duffle coat has some cool upgrades like Fidlock closures:

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/liberated-wool-dufflecoat.html

Not my personal cup of tea, but interesting and modern upgrades to a traditional coat.