Hey this is a really broad question but can someone throw suggestions for techwear-ish shoes that are still available? Just looking to replace a pair of sneakers.

Check my previous post about Viking Footwear sneakers... very good quality brand, and the Norwegian know few things about techwear sneakers...

Random mall near me has this outlet sale on a bunch of tnf / patagonia / montbell / arcteryx / etc shit. All of the Goretex stuff is too big for me but bought some merino wool base layers since cotton undershirts in JP summer heat are killing me.

Only a day wearing them but I believe in the hype. A million times better. 

Random mall near me has this outlet sale on a bunch of tnf / patagonia / montbell / arcteryx / etc shit. All of the Goretex stuff is too big for me but bought some merino wool base layers since cotton undershirts in JP summer heat are killing me.

Only a day wearing them but I believe in the hype. A million times better. 

So Merino Wool is a confirmed holy fabric that you can wear all year? Might have to invest in some myself then

i swear by merino for boxers, won't wear anything else, but i don't really like it for tees in warm weather. merino isn't durable enough to wear without a layer over it, and when it get hots it tends to itch a bit. 

Expensive but kind of like this.

2z3InSp.jpg

iJQoquu.jpg

7rKHzf8.jpg

hpoQMTg.jpg

Brand name or links ?

Not that i'm aware of. Here's the email

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

We will be offering international shipping to Australia although the launch date of August 15th has unfortunately been pushed back.

But keep your eyes on our social media to keep up with any current updates!

Thanks,

AKIO Team

Edited by Albm

^ is this a subversive marketing ploy? I seldom feel like I'm being sold to here, but this is dangerously close. It wouldn't be all unlikely to discover something like that is already happening.

No-context impressions of Akio:

Something about it is off by not trying to be anything particular (look & price wise). It has that problem, more than a brand like Common Projects. It feels as if you've to go balls deep nowadays, esp. in small brands/budgets.

*Knock on wood* my case study would be Hender Scheme's early niche successes. They just really went for it product and pricing wise. You know what it's trying to say and people buy it because they stand for that. Hender Scheme FW15 now available at your superfuture affiliate shops.  B)

(P.S. Imagine unbranded 800 EUR cuben fiber repros of Half Cabs made in Berlin? I'd think about it.)

Edited by WillKhitie

Best techwear jeans ? based on water repellency / Waterproofing  , shape, feel and flexibility ? Any advices ? just need this and an ACRNM pants and I think I'll be done with clothings for the next 10 years...

I've yet to see convincing tech jeans. Outlier's offering is not particularily water resistant but won't pass for actual jeans either. The thunderbolt ones are cut like dad jeans.  I really like the schoeller shape material used in the acrnm p14s as it comes very close to denim in hand and texture, and has decent repellency, but i've not seen it in a jeans cut yet. 

I've yet to see convincing tech jeans. Outlier's offering is not particularily water resistant but won't pass for actual jeans either. The thunderbolt ones are cut like dad jeans.  I really like the schoeller shape material used in the acrnm p14s as it comes very close to denim in hand and texture, and has decent repellency, but i've not seen it in a jeans cut yet. 

thanks for the advices . acrnm p14s looks pretty cool indeed. it's nice to have some feedback about the texture though. Still looking for the true All Condition Graal denim with a touch and feel of a denim...

thanks for the advices . acrnm p14s looks pretty cool indeed. it's nice to have some feedback about the texture though. Still looking for the true All Condition Graal denim with a touch and feel of a denim...

some choices:

how about these technical denim:

We've never owned any of those products but we definitely know about the techs involved.

I'm glad someone is putting nano on raw denim, not something we'd particularly want to do, not a big enough advancement, but it should work ok (that said Levi's was never 100% happy with the durability of nano on cotton for pants). Epic Cotton is silicone based and thus has serious issues with attracting oil, don't have the Howies but I suspect they start to smell faster than your average denim. Schoeller's publicly available denim stuff is embarrassing, barely more than half the weight I'd want in a denim, zero structure. Denim plus a membrane? May as well sell that as a portable steam room...

It's simply not going to exist, or at least anything that's worth getting via denim texture/"passing for" anything.

also lol @ the video of the regular denim vs Howies epic cotton. They didn't even throw even the similar amount of water. Epic cotton is not very waterproof after a few wears, although to be fair, not much is just shy of goretex/similar.

Edited by exhaust fumes

Epic just plain sucks. Schoeller is definitely on to something with their shape series. Cotton/nylon blends are the way to go to balance handfeel, dry time and abrasion resistance. Don't expect miracles from anything that has a certain cotton content. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Epic just plain sucks. Schoeller is definitely on to something with their shape series. Cotton/nylon blends are the way to go to balance handfeel, dry time and abrasion resistance. Don't expect miracles from anything that has a certain cotton content. 

Roger that...

It's simply not going to exist, or at least anything that's worth getting via denim texture/"passing for" anything.

also lol @ the video of the regular denim vs Howies epic cotton. They didn't even throw even the similar amount of water. Epic cotton is not very waterproof after a few wears, although to be fair, not much is just shy of goretex/similar.

You can reapply some water resistance with Nikwax wash. Anyway it depends on your usage e.g. quick drying is more important 'waterproof' in a hot tropical storm. 

Schoeller's cotton/nylon blends are better tech fabrics but Epic denim is closer to real denim if that's what bento wants. It looks like denim, feels like denim, fades like denim (but sounds and stinks like silicon).

While we're on the topic of denim

North Face Purple Label Fall/Winter 2015 Transcends Boundaries

The North Face and colder temperatures go together so damn well thanks to every basic bitch this side of Nowheresville who drops on their Denali fleece before sliding on some black leggings and UGG boots, ready to take on the world. None of them have that Purp though, mostly because such cultural customs don't translate to the far east, where North Face Purple Label is exclusive to. It's probably one of the top regional brands that we wish would make the leap overseas. I mean, if anything can transcend territorial boundaries, it's fire jawnz. The current connotation of The Face would shift dramatically if people starting asking each other where they got their fly gear and the genuine reply was, "Um, The North Face." F/W 15 here is exceedingly tight as per usual. Quilting is abundant, camo is used in subtle doses (thank fucking god), blues and greys dominate, while the cozy factor is off the charts with baggy sweats and fleece pants. 

eSogCtZ.jpg

Edited by SuE

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned anything about Y-3's yearly forays with Warehouse (yes, denim daddy Warehouse) into the realm of techdenim.

Guessing that it's primarily because of its absence from the internet/PR but anyone who's curious about should definitely dig that direction. (I remember them doing a nanosphere execution 1~2 years ago that worked well in its in-store state.)

I always found it amusing that people's definition of "techwear" begins and ends with the premise of whether or not something is waterproof. It's this odd logic spiral that makes for some awfully peculiar products. (i.e. the majority of kickstarter denim)

If you look at denim as material, water proofing isn't necessarily it's shining quality, and trying to impose that alongside its natural wear properties sounds like a square peg–circle hole situation.

So til we harness quantum computing and make a giant waterproof denim leap forward, I'd rather see more solutions that deliver other tech-like results (breathability, temperature control, insulation, etc.).

I've two pairs on opposite ends of the temp. spectrum:

1. SEXSC06 – I've a 7yo pair and it's still the most ridiculously breathable pants I have to date. It's colder than some shorts I own and works in the kind of humidity that you can make a sandwich with. I've tried wearing ACR–CH for a day, in dryer heat, and I only have two words, baby power.

2. Y-3 produced by Warehouse (prob. from FW11?) – Fabric is a 7% cashmere blend raw denim developed together with Warehouse. Imagine the point of the fabric is to insulates well without it having to be remotely heavy, which it does so in spades (prob 14~15oz at best). Cut is mildly techy also, YYPH fit (P15 volume with a tapered hem). Features an interesting double pull cinchback and a 6th pocket hidden behind the right rear pocket.

Had mild hopes that the brief ACR x YY exchange trip would give birth to more products similar to the latter but I don't think there's signs of that happening anytime soon. 

I always found it amusing that people's definition of "techwear" begins and ends with the premise of whether or not something is waterproof. It's this odd logic spiral that makes for some awfully peculiar products. (i.e. the majority of kickstarter denim)

If you look at denim as material, water proofing isn't necessarily it's shining quality, and trying to impose that alongside its natural wear properties sounds like a square peg–circle hole situation.

So til we harness quantum computing and make a giant waterproof denim leap forward, I'd rather see more solutions that deliver other tech-like results (breathability, temperature control, insulation, etc.)

All fabric materials are already technology to a certain extent. Denim was techwear for the 19th century. Most are already optimized for breathability (linen), temperature control (wool) etc. Comfortable clothing isn't that hard; wear sweatpants or spandex (also fwiw I don't consider comfortable jeans part of techwear when the solution for stretchy jeans is to just add a little lycra). Thus my definition of techwear includes 'waterproof' because that's still difficult to do. Focusing on products that combine rain resistance along with breathability, insulation, temperature control, etc narrows the number of options considerably. Raising the bar further, and demanding weatherproof clothes that also look good, leaves not many acceptable options. So I'm sure YY's experiments with denim are clever and comfortable but I don't want to settle just for that.